Cycling advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older brother is a keen cyclist, and does a lot of miles every day on his old racer. He's fit physically, but suffers with circulation problems, and at this time of the year he just can't keep his fingers warm enough when he's out riding. He gets horrible frostbite from it.

Does anybody else have this problem, and have you found gloves that help? He's talking about mittens, but I can't find any online, except for skiing.

To help keep your hands warm don't forget to ensure your wrists and not just your hands are well protected. Also, contrary to normal cycling attire, wear loose fitting clothes and, as said before, layer them (If your core is warm the body wont divert blood away from the extremities to vital organs).

He could also try some of those hand warmer pads in his gloves - don't know how long they last mind.

Last edited:
My older brother is a keen cyclist, and does a lot of miles every day on his old racer. He's fit physically, but suffers with circulation problems, and at this time of the year he just can't keep his fingers warm enough when he's out riding. He gets horrible frostbite from it.

Does anybody else have this problem, and have you found gloves that help? He's talking about mittens, but I can't find any online, except for skiing.
Would mittens allow him to operate his cycle brakes? ( And or bell)?

I get "dead fingers" also, and have a pair of thinsulate fleece gloves that aren't too bad for cycling. May try @HellsBells idea of thin merino ones underneath.

Tights over arms and hands?
Novel :lol:

I've seen these on line. They don't look that easy to use, but the reviews seem ok. I'll see if they're a step to far for him, by showing him the link.

To help keep your hands warm don't forget to ensure your wrists and not just your hands are well protected. Also, contrary to normal cycling attire, wear loose fitting clothes and, as said before, layer them (If your core is warm the body wont divert blood away from the extremities to vital organs).

He could also try some of those hand warmer pads in his gloves - don't know how long they last mind.
Cheers, I'll get some of those hand warmerror pads, to be going on with.

Take it he's tried layering things like liner gloves (merino?) with other gloves on top?
I doubt that, but you're right. It's what I do in cold weather. He's getting on a bit now, and very set in his ways. I have a hard time persuading him to try things, but hopefully he'll take this on board.

Yes. You can mittens that make you look like a lobster and they work fine. A couple layers should help and a warm core will help too.
Those lobster mitts look like they'd suit your avatar too.

Cheers for your advice everyone. I was slow getting back, as I went in a sulk, and didn't log on after yesterday's result.
Missed everyone too much in the end though ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back