Cyclescheme query - what bike to go for

Who advised you that? The one you’ve got has a massive 63mm of travel, so that should help when cycling over any errant pieces of paper.

mate from work. Mind he rides road bikes mainly so probably doesn’t know as much as he thinks he does. I’ve took it out again there and raised the seat a little - felt better than yesterday.

Get paid on Thursday so I may buy it a present

mate from work. Mind he rides road bikes mainly so probably doesn’t know as much as he thinks he does. I’ve took it out again there and raised the seat a little - felt better than yesterday.

Get paid on Thursday so I may buy it a present
Raise it an inch higher than feels comfortable for you now and it’ll be about right.

I'm after a cheap bike for commuting. It's only 3 miles each way and it is a road route. Ideally I want to spend less than 400 quid. What should I be looking at and what should I be avoiding?

I'm after a cheap bike for commuting. It's only 3 miles each way and it is a road route. Ideally I want to spend less than 400 quid. What should I be looking at and what should I be avoiding?

Hybrid mate. Less punctures than a road bike and quicker than a MTB. I got a Crossfire II, the Ford Focus of the bike world and about £350.

Could get a Carrera Subway, mud guards, lock and lights for under £400

Personally would go for the subway over the crossfire, don't see the point in front suspension on cheaper bikes, especially if you're only using it on the road.

I haven't been on a bike in more than 20 years mate so have no idea if I will like disc brakes. I'm just hoping I can still ride it without stabilisers. :lol:

Just get any hybrid. See if there's anything going on Gumtree or Facebook marketplace. It's such a short distance to cycle, pretty much any bike will do you fine.

I'd definitely recommend something that gives you an upright seating position though, so hybrid or a classic city bike. You get a much more comfortable ride and the upright nature gives you a great view over cars and stuff. As we're about to enter the shit weather season, you'd be very wise to ensure it has mudguards on it. A front or rear rack for carrying a bag is also a great idea to stop your back getting sweaty.

I ride an old shit Raleigh from the 80s, it's bombproof and weighs a ton but it's class for getting around town. Cost me 100 quid from some old blokes shed. Best value for money item I've ever bought.

Could get a Carrera Subway, mud guards, lock and lights for under £400

Personally would go for the subway over the crossfire, don't see the point in front suspension on cheaper bikes, especially if you're only using it on the road.

I'll have a look at that too. Cheers.
Just get any hybrid. See if there's anything going on Gumtree or Facebook marketplace. It's such a short distance to cycle, pretty much any bike will do you fine.

I'd definitely recommend something that gives you an upright seating position though, so hybrid or a classic city bike. You get a much more comfortable ride and the upright nature gives you a great view over cars and stuff. As we're about to enter the shit weather season, you'd be very wise to ensure it has mudguards on it. A front or rear rack for carrying a bag is also a great idea to stop your back getting sweaty.

I ride an old shit Raleigh from the 80s, it's bombproof and weighs a ton but it's class for getting around town. Cost me 100 quid from some old blokes shed. Best value for money item I've ever bought.

I noticed a Raleigh activator 2 in the bike shed at work. Always wanted one as a kid.

Last edited:

Back