Cyber attack on BA -> IT glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a global company and its far from a few journeys

It won't cost anywhere near a million a minute..

That's 60 million an hour or 1.4 billion for a 24 hour period.

There will be an initial high cost for first few minutes then it will go down.

Not to say it's not costing a packet but nowhere near those sums

Rough guess they will take a 40 -50 million hit on end of year figures

Yeah I guess the million pound a minute must be time-limited. I was told that by a guy who used to work on ba.com so knew what he talking about. BA do turnover around £11 billion + a year.

What has happened recently is that when system crashes the payment facility also goes. So the contact centre gets overloaded with calls when people can't access ba.com but they can't help them.

The bit I don't get is that a transport company had to cancel a few journeys from two London based transport interchanges somehow becomes a national headline?

Oh I forgot, London is a national worry for us all. Southern based journalist f***ing
f***ing Bishop man, the epicentre of all international events, travel and culture.

Yeah I guess the million pound a minute must be time-limited. I was told that by a guy who used to work on ba.com so knew what he talking about.

What has happened recently is that when system crashes the payment facility also goes. So the contact centre gets overloaded with calls when people can't access ba.com but they can't help them.
Are airports the same as docks where by shipping companies are fined for late arrival and departures from their berths? Does the same happen with airline companies?

f***ing Bishop man, the epicentre of all international events, travel and culture.

Are airports the same as docks where by shipping companies are fined for late arrival and departures from their berths? Does the same happen with airline companies?

Yes it's exactly the same mate, the airline gets charged if outside of the allowable time period.

Not 1.4 billion.

And most people would know about it so just book today so it's not really lost income more customer dissatisfaction
No, I agree, maybe a million an hour sounds more plausible

BA flights still getting cancelled.

06:05 ncl - lhr cancelled which fucked me up for my BA flight to miami today so rebooked for tomorrow :confused: time to claim some compo. Atleast I found out before getting in the taxi to the airport.

BA flights still getting cancelled.

06:05 ncl - lhr cancelled which fucked me up for my BA flight to miami today so rebooked for tomorrow :confused: time to claim some compo. Atleast I found out before getting in the taxi to the airport.

I'm flying from Leeds to Heathrow then on to Delhi tomorrow. I have no idea if I'll be going.

I'm flying from Leeds to Heathrow then on to Delhi tomorrow. I have no idea if I'll be going.

The Delhi flight won't be the issue - all of the long haul stuff is getting away, it will be the leeds flight if there is one, they're quoting only 13 flights cancelled leaving Heathrow today but no mention of the number of short haul flights cancelled coming in to Heathrow. Hope you get away with no issues.

Anyone actually know what happened yet?

Sounds a lot like they lost a SAN, and had no idea how to recover, merging backups with Transaction Logs to get back to "live".

Sounds a lot like they lost a SAN, and had no idea how to recover, merging backups with Transaction Logs to get back to "live".
they had a fuck up

hope this helps

Reactions: PTR

I'd be f***ing staggered if they didn't have a DR facility to fail-over to. stories coming out that it was a power surge knocked everything out.

I'd be f***ing staggered if they didn't have a DR facility to fail-over to. stories coming out that it was a power surge knocked everything out.

I'm aware of a large international company that had an outage because, while they had DR and backups all in place, some clever prick decided to save money by removing some of the electricity/power back ups they were paying for. When the system failed and it tried to kick over to the DR system the power overloaded it and all their systems went down.

The money they saved by cutting that power service was under £20k per annum. The outage probably cost them £20k per minute.

That's why right wing ideologues like @Laeotaekhun think everything should be run the way these geniuses in the private sector do things

If true, why not switch to DR? Surely they don't have all their kit in a single datacentre?

Do power surges even exist in tier 2+ datacentres anyway? I thought this was all sorted these days.

If true, why not switch to DR? Surely they don't have all their kit in a single datacentre?

Do power surges even exist in tier 2+ datacentres anyway? I thought this was all sorted these days.

would be a bit pointless having their DR in the same location as the primary ..... :lol:

ours are 100 miles apart. for the hypothetical 'jumbo jet' scenario

I would expect any company of their size that relies so much on IT to have a hot standby alternate data centre that they could switch over too in the event of major failure at one centre, and in the event of data corruption, as you say a backups and transaction log to roll forward or backwards to just before the failure - which might take hours, but shouldn't take days to fix.

I wonder if they had a DR plan if they ever tested it?

Of course all this costs money.

I would expect any company of their size that relies so much on IT to have a hot standby alternate data centre that they could switch over too in the event of major failure at one centre, and in the event of data corruption, as you say a backups and transaction log to roll forward or backwards to just before the failure - which might take hours, but shouldn't take days to fix.

I've worked in Banks with £200 million a year IT budgets and been part of the DR tests.

always get signed of with issues but I dlve to see them have to operate in the real world. I think days is more likely for a whole datacntre outage. single applications and servers fail over all the time so we know they work

And now they realise that not doing these things also costs money. Just that you add a zero to the number :)

would be a bit pointless having their DR in the same location as the primary ..... :lol:

ours are 100 miles apart. for the hypothetical 'jumbo jet' scenario
It sounds like their "backup systems" were indeed in the same DC as they were impacted by the same power surge :lol:

I've worked in Banks with £200 million a year IT budgets and been part of the DR tests.

always get signed of with issues but I dlve to see them have to operate in the real world. I think days is more likely for a whole datacntre outage. single applications and servers fail over all the time so we know they work
I used to work on an IT system that cost similar amounts, I think it was hitting £1bn in spend at the 7 year point. We tested our DR twice per year, and ran off DR for one full week each time.
It makes total sense to do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back