Cutting the Grass

Just cut the front grass, it was bone dry, loads of dust being kicked up by the mower. Got the sprinkler on now to try and give it a chance. Got the back to cut in a bit and have to try and repair a few patches that I’ve got there.

Cant remember the last time we had rain.
I'm playing a game - how much grass will be left once all the poa has died an only the prg and fescue is left.

So far, it doesn't look all that bad, surprising since I haven't watered it at all this year. Or fertilised either.

Had a bell tent up in the garden for a few days and it's killed a sizeable patch.
Was a worry but seems to be regenerating quite well.

I'm not on a meter so happy to heavily water it daily:cool:

I laid a new lawn a week and a half ago - just before a period of no rain!! Watered it twice a day and it’s bedding in nicely other than a few yellowing patches. Now just need the bloody cats to stop bringing birds and mice back to maul on the garden!!

Been watering ours each night this week but it’s very brown in places.

Is overseeding likely to make any difference at this point in the year or is it too warm?

Oh for bastards sake.
Bought a 18 sheet shredder the other day, primarily as it will shred cardboard boxes that I can use as browns in my compost - Been having issues with finding an easy way to compost that doesn't involve every fly in the entire world living at my gaff. 4" of shredded cardboard on top will stop it.
So I turned the whole pile - which means forking it all out, giving it a bit of a shuffle, then forking it back in (and also mixing in a load of woodchip I got for nowt as I was going).
At one point, I caught the newly laid robot mower guide wire with the fork and it bent - knew I'd be lucky to get away with it.

Just quickly tested it. I didn't get lucky.
HOPEFULLY I know which bit to splice and it'll be an easy fix. Otherwise, ffs
Its only been back up and running for 2 weeks since it was knackered at the start of the year.
Been watering ours each night this week but it’s very brown in places.

Is overseeding likely to make any difference at this point in the year or is it too warm?
Light, daily watering is exactly what weed grasses like.

Brown patches are most likely weed grasses dying out as they have shallow roots and cannot access moisture deeper under the surface.
My lawn is full of them, and I'm letting them die off as I have creeping fescues and kentuky blue grass that both fill patches of bare soil - hopefully.

Last edited:
Might as well just call my lawn a cloverfield, it's just thick with clover, everywhere. Had allsorts down a few months ago, killed off all the dandelions and some other weeds, patched up and overseeded it, started to look great then this clover has came from nowhere.

Might as well just call my lawn a cloverfield, it's just thick with clover, everywhere. Had allsorts down a few months ago, killed off all the dandelions and some other weeds, patched up and overseeded it, started to look great then this clover has came from nowhere.
My front is covered in it too. A yellow clover that the entire street has. Sprung up in about 4 weeks.
Put some weedol down the other day, so hopefully that'll sort it.

Still seriously considering a full kill-off and reseed in autumn for the front. Depending on time.

Went to check which side of the loop wire signal was damaged. Apparently its none of it.
FFS. Now its an intermittent failure, so its going to break at some point, randomly. Isn't it.
Imagine if someone vomits on it. How would you ever get it all out?

With real grass, chuck a bucket of water on it, and nature will sort it in a few days.

Now replace vomit with all of the things that really do happen on a lawn all the time - bird shit, rodent piss. Cat shit. All that stuff just infests plastic grass and stays there. Minging.

Last edited:
Went to check which side of the loop wire signal was damaged. Apparently its none of it.
FFS. Now its an intermittent failure, so its going to break at some point, randomly. Isn't it.

Imagine if someone vomits on it. How would you ever get it all out?

With real grass, chuck a bucket of water on it, and nature will sort it in a few days.

Now replace vomit with all of the things that really do happen on a lawn all the time - bird shit, rodent piss. Cat shit. All that stuff just infests plastic grass and stays there. Minging.

Yep exactly. It's not something I thought about before- Im not keen on the look of it really, but then when I got a dog I realised what it would be like- didnt even think of things like bird shit and all that. Imagine the stench

Done the front and back yesterday afternoon. Got more daisies on both lawns than I have ever seen us have before! Was absolutely covered ffs man!

Back