Cutting the Grass

Cheers for that mate, might look into the verticutter as well tbh and see if that makes a difference.

Does location play a part? I know it sounds stupid but facing nothing but fields wasn't sure if that had any effect with seeding etc incase its an uphill battle
Aye, poa annua is in all the fields aroudn me, so no doubt seeds will get blown in all the time. This is why I want to go down the soil-improvement method.
But I need to get on top of my composting for that to work. I need to learn abuot making compost tea. Mind, there's a thought that a home lawn can never really support the full soil food lifecycle, so I might be onto a loser either way.

This is my inspiration by the way, and also Elaine Ingham on youtube (good luck falling down that rabbit hole)

Aye, poa annua is in all the fields aroudn me, so no doubt seeds will get blown in all the time. This is why I want to go down the soil-improvement method.
But I need to get on top of my composting for that to work. I need to learn abuot making compost tea. Mind, there's a thought that a home lawn can never really support the full soil food lifecycle, so I might be onto a loser either way.

This is my inspiration by the way, and also Elaine Ingham on youtube (good luck falling down that rabbit hole)
Cheers for all this. With it being new just want to keep it in best a state as possible :lol:

Suspect i'm about to go down a rabbit hole like you say and have this thread on watch

Cheers for all this. With it being new just want to keep it in best a state as possible :lol:

Suspect i'm about to go down a rabbit hole like you say and have this thread on watch
You're fucked mate. Just accept it :)

Mind, my lawn looks shit. I'm resolved to not putting weedkiller, fertilisers or water down this year. Trying to encourage the fescue and kbg to build strong roots and creep into the open spaces left behind by the other grasses that will hopefully die off.
Unless we get a proper drought, in which case the occasional deep watering.

Last edited:
Looks in good nick.

The fox that is, though the grass looks canny as well.
The fox was in great condition, was like a proper playful pup. Messed about in the garden for at least half an hour before I had to head off for work. I reckon it's living in next doors shed. The vixen was basking in the sun on our shed roof a few weeks back.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
The fox was in great condition, was like a proper playful pup. Messed about in the garden for at least half an hour before I had to head off for work. I reckon it's living in next doors shed. The vixen was basking in the sun on our shed roof a few weeks back.

Feeding during the day as the cubs are out.

This one Sunday Morning under the bird table.
My tame Pheasant needs to be careful.

2 cuts in a week to get it short enough to verticut. So its looking a bit scalped at the moment, but the poa annual had really started to grow outwards and needed chopping back.
Nice and dry to come, so the prg and fescue should have a chance to dominate while the poa struggles for water.

Might come back to a very bare lawn though.

Mind, the kentuky blue grass patches look luck as anything. Just a shame its not the whole lawn!

Lawns both look shit. Not unexpected.
Its been so dry, and I'm not going to water it anymore - as this just helps the poa grasses. So they've been dying off leaving yellow patches. Hopefully it will allow the fescue to creep into the gaps over time.
Front is looking a bit better as I did scarify that heavily and overseeded with SSMG/KBG, but that's known to look thin and patchy in the first year - so hopefully it'll come good eventually. If not, I might spray it off next spring and do it from scratch - its only 4x4m so its no big deal.

I got my robot up and running finally. Had to remove and replace all the wiring and connectors. Total feck on. But its working now.
And those plugs of KBG I grew in pots, and set on top of the boreholes of compost? They're growing quite well. Sadly all the weed grasses are also loving the compost, and they're flourising there too -but I've just got at them with the strimmer, so hopefully they won't choke the KBG out too much.
I'm thinking about spraying off the 30cm patch all around the lawn where I had to replace the boundary wire for the mower - I had to scarify it to help get the wire down, so it might be a good time to put seed and soil down - that was the worse part for weedgrasses as I can't scarify or verticut there or I'll damage the wire - so this might be my only opportunity. I'll have to water it twice a day by hand though...........

I did some before and after on my grass - we have 2 areas of lawn and the grass was badly damaged by the heavy snow we had. The main lawn is great as we have had loads of rain (and this has meant loads of bloody massive mushrooms appeared!) The smaller bit isnt as good yet. Need to do 2 posts for the images

I love the view from your back garden 👍

Back