Cutting the Grass

I can't fathom out how to raise/lower the blade. There's no easy-to-use mechanism, the diagram shows summat next to the front & back wheels. I'm going to need 10 Weetabix before I can alter the blade height. Did a good cut on 6 inches of grass though.

Not sure on a Bosch but some flymos have spacers (plastic discs) behind the blade that you can remove to raise the cut height.

So cut out patches that had died and where tried to reseed with compost and didnt take. Gone through 8 bags of top soil now and only half done. Given in and got a tonne coming on friday 😂

I just have fears like what happened to my dyson that in 3 years time the batteries will fail just as it leaves warranty

Might be notches like on flymos where if you push in the wheels towards the body then lift or drop the wheels then letting go locks them in. Do it on all corners.

Good going that Mate, hard work though isn’t it.
Lucky here that our lawns are well drained with decent natural soil.
Already completed the first reseed and successful. Cut it yesterday whilst careful that the new grass wasn’t cut up. Put the second lot of seed on any remaining patches and will need to wait another 2 weeks.
Unfortunately never got around to cut the back lawn and it’s rained. It looks in decent condition, all moss gone however it’s really thickened up thus will take a decent cut.

Finally got ours done yesterday front and back, which I’m grateful for having seen the forecast for this week because I doubt it’ll have a chance to even dry out before next weekend.

Cut on Saturday. Scarified (power raked) and cut again earlier today. Not planning on aerating this year. Just going to do the bare minimum to keep it looking respectable as got a lot of little projects going on in and out the house this year.
Same here. Got a full year's worth of work going on inside the house, and with work being mad, I've only got about 4-5 hours per week free to do this DIY stuff. So will take me until at least late summer
So cut out patches that had died and where tried to reseed with compost and didnt take. Gone through 8 bags of top soil now and only half done. Given in and got a tonne coming on friday 😂.
Its been too cold until very recently for seed to reliably germinate I'm afraid.
I just have fears like what happened to my dyson that in 3 years time the batteries will fail just as it leaves warranty
Batteries are replaceable though, and aftermarket ones exist too.

Last edited:
Good going that Mate, hard work though isn’t it.
Lucky here that our lawns are well drained with decent natural soil.
Already completed the first reseed and successful. Cut it yesterday whilst careful that the new grass wasn’t cut up. Put the second lot of seed on any remaining patches and will need to wait another 2 weeks.
Unfortunately never got around to cut the back lawn and it’s rained. It looks in decent condition, all moss gone however it’s really thickened up thus will take a decent cut.

Drainage is fine. Slight descent away from the house. One day ill get a scarifier. The thatch is so thick the spade was struggling to cut through
Same here. Got a full year's worth of work going on inside the house, and with work being mad, I've only got about 4-5 hours per week free to do this DIY stuff. So will take me until at least late summer

Its been too cold until very recently for seed to reliably germinate I'm afraid.

Batteries are replaceable though, and aftermarket ones exist too.

Ah right. With the dyson i had the pleasure of paying another £70 for a battery and then thats going after only 2 year

Last edited:
Drainage is fine. Slight descent away from the house. One day ill get a scarifier. The thatch is so thick the spade was struggling to cut through
Ah right. With the dyson i had the pleasure of paying another £70 for a battery and then thats going after only 2 year
You can get scarifiers quite cheap, either used on marketplace, or even Lidl/Aldi specials and Screwfix/Toolstation do one too - I have the screwfix one at the moment for heavy work, and the Bosch Verticutter for regular cutting out of weed grass runners

Yeah, our dysons batteries all died and I replaced with after market ones, with mixed results tbh. Still didn't stop me buying a new one on Black Friday mind :)

You can get scarifiers quite cheap, either used on marketplace, or even Lidl/Aldi specials and Screwfix/Toolstation do one too - I have the screwfix one at the moment for heavy work, and the Bosch Verticutter for regular cutting out of weed grass runners

Yeah, our dysons batteries all died and I replaced with after market ones, with mixed results tbh. Still didn't stop me buying a new one on Black Friday mind :)
I’d recommend a GTech lawnmower, I’ve not had any problems.

Lawn was scarified in autumn. There isn’t loads of moss but there is some on the shaded area - would it be ok to go over it again?
Nothing stopping you if the grass is healthy or you plan a little overseeding afterwards.
Or you could apply some iron.
I’d recommend a GTech lawnmower, I’ve not had any problems.
The Ryobi 18v one I bought is decent. 7/10 for cutting, but 10/10 for lightness and ease of use which really makes up for it.
Just make sure you keep the blade sharp and its all good.

Back