Cutting the grass

Snap....my hubby cut through the cable on a brand new mower! Cable is bright orange, cannot fathom how he didn't see it. I think men do it on purpose so us women say 'just leave it! I'll do it.....
Its easy enough to repair that though. 5 minute job - terminal block, screw, tape wrap

Not to be confused with block, tape wrap and then screw. That's very different.

Last edited:
Its easy enough to repair that though. 5 minute job - terminal block, screw, tape wrap

Not to be confused with block, tape wrap and then screw. That's very different.
Aye, he did that, I was still p****d off as it was brand new.

Mine was freshly laid turf in November and dont think it has proper bedded in yet as obviously not been growing season since laid. |Also seem too wet at the minute. I'll leave it a couple of weels I reckon.

Get some ferts on it mate. Bad time to lay turf. Ferts and then overseed. Give it time. It probably will have been too cold for it to bed in but shouldnt be a lost cause

Need to level the boarders out that I've stripped of horrible trees and shrubs. Just going to grass seed it all for the next few year - the bairns will be better off with just grass for a bit I think.

Pain in the arse levelling it all out though, plus digging right down into the roots of the trees to get the chainsaw in to cut them low down. I'm knackered at the moment.

Will run the scarifier over the lawn too, and overseed the existing lawn with the new grass seed so that hopefully, I wont be able to see the "new" bit of grass in contrast to the exiting stuff.

Ive done the same. Had 1 metre borders either side with huge bushes. 8 of them at about 3 or 4 hours each to get them out. The roots were huge. Raked it level and seeded last weekend

Last edited:
There’s loads of good advice on the RHS website, too much to post on here. Go to rhs.org.uk and type in lawn maintenance in the search box.

"officially" too early..(frost ect and potential; damage caused).Depends how bothered you are about the look later.If you are going to do it listen Butchers Coat Advice....too early for weed feed in my humble as weeds not established...would give that another few weeks at least(tempting as it all is!)

Doubt we will get a substantial frost now. Temps have been consistently over 12 for a bit now giving a good period of growth

Got my automower out every 2 days for 2 hours. Cutting and keeping it longish at the moment but will take another 4mm off in a couple of weeks

Back