Cutting in.

I hate it when people try to cut in and can not. A god example is the A1(m) north at Washington. The first two lanes head off towards the Team Valley, but they can often back up, especially at Christmas time. People race up the outside lane to where the A194 splits off towards Washington & Heworth, find there is no space to cut in because the traffic is stationary and close together. They then block the lane for anyone wanting the A194.

It is pretty much them saying, "I think I'm too important to wait in that queue, so I'm going to make a queue for people not going the same way as me, and make you all wait for me. I don't give a toss how important the continuation of your journey is".
Saw a crash there involving a van full of stock for a reptile shop. It was a turtle disaster.
I do remember the traffic news on the radio reporting one day there had been a crash on the A64 at York because a lorry carrying pigs had crashed into a bakery lorry. Made me and the missus laugh.

Last edited:

I am a silly fuck. Despite the logical things you're saying I still HATE seeing people go down the outside lane when people are queuing. I will try to overcome my prejudice

I cut in all the time, love pissing people off. Ihe always been known to go all around the odd roundabout too
Just about to post this. I did it yesterday. went all the way around the roundabout a then took the exit I wanted. Saved me about 10 minutes. I look it as doing my bit for the environment.

i've had to cut right back on my bastard behaviour since i started driving round in a company van.

best one i heard, might have been on here, was someone getting a lift off an old bloke into work, and noticed that he never indicated at a roundabout every morning, when he pulled him up on it the old bloke says 'here man i've been coming this way for years'

What’s the consensus on cutting in when driving?
Eg. driving up the inside lane knowing that you can’t go your chosen direction in that lane and cutting in, skipping the queue.

***** trick in my book. :lol:

Premier road at the traffic lights has to be the best example for this

Simply not true

ON NON-MOTORWAYS
Rule 163 of the Highway Code states
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

That literally is the opposite of what is being discussed. You conveniently left out the main points of the Rule 163 you've quoted, such as 'Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in', based on overtaking being done in the outside lane.

Read what the OP put

I wasn’t disagreeing with the op. I was clearly saying that undertaking in the left lane in allowed in some circumstances but I agree with the op in the instances he describes.
That literally is the opposite of what is being discussed. You conveniently left out the main points of the Rule 163 you've quoted, such as 'Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in', based on overtaking being done in the outside lane.

I’m not disagreeing with you. I was saying their are some legitimate uses and it isn’t a one rule scenario

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's in road works where two lanes merge into one then you are supposed to use both lanes right to the merge point. There is even signs up telling you. Approach to testos at the moment from heworth is terrible. Its dangerous to have one stationary lane and one empty lane on a 70mph road, and its proven then traffic flows quicker when people merge at the very end.
Had a bloke raging at me for driving down the outside lane right to the front. Daft ***** were queuing for half a mile in 1 Lane

Newcastle road going across the junction at the grange, filters into one lane. Don’t mind traffic using both lanes when it’s busy, like match days etc or a number of vehicles using both to filter, obviously the purpose of it......but when only two cars are in the right hand lane and some absolute weapon pulls up into the left hand lane at the lights.....WTF, boils my p*ss, do I let them filter in....do I f*ck........evil

The thing that always, without exception, gets my goat, is when you're just about to join the A1 from the A1231. There's a bit where you're meant to go off on a slip road, the 1231 continues but the road markings clearly show that if you stay on it you get to the roundabout and have to go straight on or right. But no, every f***ing morning loads of wankers decide they're too important to wait in the queue so they stay on the 1231 then go left at the roundabout. Arseholes. No idea why this annoys me so much, but it does

People deliberately using the wrong lane to skip traffic and then cutting in are wankers.

People using 2 lanes approaching road works etc, that's the correct thing
Overtake on the left is only allowed in some instances too so using the left hand lane for overtake is against the rules of the road
There's a road in blyth, loads of arseholes still don't get the merge in turn carry on and try and block people coming in from the outside lane. And people still sit in the left hand lane when the right hand lane is empty which often causes back ups to the next round about.
And then round a bouts behind too. We have a bit coming out of saltash into Cornwall where not using both lanes blocks the roundabout behind which in turn blocks up the town and all roads onto that roundabout as people can’t go round because the lanes are blocked up

Last edited:
People think they are rock hard behind the wheel and their behaviour would be completely different in any other circumstance.

It’s not worth getting wound up about

Back