Cultural References

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date

Arthur askey was still current when you were a kid, was on all the time. Puts me in mind that I was born 30 years after the jazz singer was released and they often showed silent movies that's the contemporary equivelant of a 10 year old watching close encounters of the third kind now :lol::eek:

I hated Arthur Askey. He was on Parkinson once and came on straight after Paul Simon had just sung ‘American Tune’ off his then newly released album There Goes Rhymin Simon’ ... or was it Kodachrome.. anyway : said Mr Askey proceeded to diss the tiny yanks efforts and proclaim that his song ‘Busy Bee’ was superior and would stand the test of time much more effectively.

Here’s a verse:

Oh, what a wonderful thing to be
A healthy, grown-up, busy-busy bee
Whiling away all the passing hours
Pinching all the pollen from the cauliflowers
I'd like to be a busy little bee
Being as busy as a bee can be
Flying around the garden, brightest ever seen
Taking back the honey to the dear Old queen

Wot a twat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's got a lot to do with media and changing culture. When I was a bairn I watched the same tv programmes with me dar,(motd, shoot, tomorrows world, porridge, Rising Damp), read the same news papers. And was took to the club when i was (nearly) owld enough to sit in the corner of the bar with his mates. I suddenly found out me dar swore like a trooper :eek: as I'd never heard him swear at home :lol: we also eat the same food at the same time of day around the kitchen table. It all changed now with kids wrapped up in their own little world involving social media, PS4 and love Island and McDonald's..

I hated Arthur Askey. He was on Parkinson once and came on straight after Paul Simon had just sung ‘American Tune’ off his then newly released album There Goes Rhymin Simon’ ... or was it Kodachrome.. anyway : said Mr Askey proceeded to diss the tiny yanks efforts and proclaim that his song ‘Busy Bee’ was superiorvand would stand the rest of time much more effectively.

Here’s a verse:

Wot a twat.
Oh he was a twat, my mother loathed him. Me dad was used to the WW2 forces type gang shows so found his prancing entertaining. Max Wall, Billy dainty, music hall boys really.

I hated Arthur Askey. He was on Parkinson once and came on straight after Paul Simon had just sung ‘American Tune’ off his then newly released album There Goes Rhymin Simon’ ... or was it Kodachrome.. anyway : said Mr Askey proceeded to diss the tiny yanks efforts and proclaim that his song ‘Busy Bee’ was superior and would stand the test of time much more effectively.

Here’s a verse:

Wot a twat.
My mum said he was the best Pantomime dame in the business.

My mum said he was the best Pantomime dame in the business.

Art Garfunkel’s Widow Twanky was far superior.

His delivery of the line “12 o clock and still no sign of Dick” was the most poignant and moving rendition since Bridge Iver Troubled Water. Despite the fact that he was playing in Aladdin

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going on about going to see Patrick Stewart at the Theatre Royal a few years ago to a woman I worked with. She had no idea who he was. And she was about 63 at the time. 'We don't watch much tv' she said. Not since the 80s it would seem!

She totally killed my next topic of conversation which was about going to see David Tennant in London... :lol:

I was going on about going to see Patrick Stewart at the Theatre Royal a few years ago to a woman I worked with. She had no idea who he was. And she was about 63 at the time. 'We don't watch much tv' she said. Not since the 80s it would seem!

She totally killed my next topic of conversation which was about going to see David Tennant in London... :lol:
the pet shop boy?

Here’s a verse:

Wot a twat.

Bzzz bzzz bzzz bzzz busy bee busy bee
sting who you like but don't sting me! :lol:

Oh he was a twat, my mother loathed him. Me dad was used to the WW2 forces type gang shows so found his prancing entertaining. Max Wall, Billy dainty, music hall boys really.

Max Wall (see avatar left) was totally class. His daft duckwalk was hilarious.

Last edited:

Here’s a verse:

Wot a twat.

I can remember that song...

...but the only thing I remember about Paul Simon, is Chevy Chase and a trombone...

:lol:

... I mean one person I was talking with once had no idea that there had ever been an English Civil War.

Is it just me?
There have been a lot of English civil wars!

But yes I agree with you. The irony is that my parents and grandparents had a shorter education than modern kids but were better educated in many ways.

My grandfather was very interested in literature and my mother in particular was very decent at English grammar, yet both left school at 14 or 15 years old.

Not just you. I'm sure that when I was a kid, with 3/4/5 TV channels and a few radio stations I got an education in the music of the recent past via Radio 1. That doesn't happen now. Contemporary radio rarely looks backwards...
People read a lot more, listened to music more and had more practical skills. You would serve a musical apprenticeship via older relatives or ‘big kids’.

Unfuckingbelievable.

We should be allowed to slap one person a year without any repercussions. That way when you do have to use your one slap the person who received it would think "Wow, they just used their one slap on me, I must be a real idiot"
That is very relevant, mate.

In France a bus driver had to slap a kid who was totally unaware of the legendary crooner Sacha distel.

French bus driver slaps boy

Love a cultural ref me. Was quite amused watchin Family Guy the other neet when after parodying some advert from the 80s they played the actual advert so that millennials would get it. :lol:

Back