Cultural appropriation

What a conundrum for the right!

Either cultural appropriation exists or they have to stick up for those poncey Southern intellectual types :lol:

Seriously though I suspect she isn’t well known because sadly, she was female, and her achievements lesser despite being orders of magnitude more than most men

Loads of examples of blue plaques where the person only paid a brief(ish) visit, eg there’s one for Jimi Hendrix on a house where he stayed and another for the Beatles on a place where they stayed in Baker Street.

Loads of examples of blue plaques where the person only paid a brief(ish) visit, eg there’s one for Jimi Hendrix on a house where he stayed and another for the Beatles on a place where they stayed in Baker Street.
Of course there is, Barnard Castle has got one for Charles Dickens.

Redcar isn't in the North East anyway.

What a conundrum for the right!

Either cultural appropriation exists or they have to stick up for those poncey Southern intellectual types :lol:

Seriously though I suspect she isn’t well known because sadly, she was female, and her achievements lesser despite being orders of magnitude more than most men

Bit misogynistic.

Think you’re reading it the wrong way. The implication of that sentence is that it is sad gender/sex is the reason some people are treated poorly.

:lol:

As an otter’s pocket.

London puts up blue plaque for woman born and raised in NE England, because a member of her family lived down here

Plan for Gertrude Bell blue plaque in London sparks controversy

Interesting though that Gertrude Bell was an absolute legend and very well known in her day, but is not discussed today as much as her contemporaries. Is that because she was from the unfashionable North East or because she was a woman?

It’s a mild annoyance at worst.

Put it this way, I wouldn’t be putting legislation regarding it.

What pisses me off is this Graham Best, who's written a biogaphy of her and is quoted in the article, trying to define her geography and trumpeting criticism of any modern project which attempts to celebrates her - the plaque, the film. By shutting out anyone else's views, it's him who's trying to appropriate her, not anyone else.

Basically, he's mansplaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
What pisses me off is this Graham Best, who's written a biogaphy of her and is quoted in the article, trying to define her geography and trumpeting criticism of any modern project which attempts to celebrates her - the plaque, the film. By shutting out anyone else's views, it's him who's trying to appropriate her, not anyone else.

What does that even mean?

Because as far as I can tell, it means a man having the audacity to voice his opinion to a woman.

Biographers can be a bit proprietary and overzealous IMHO

What does that even mean?

Because as far as I can tell, it means a man having the audacity to voice his opinion to a woman.

The dictionary definition of mansplaining is to tell a woman something she already knows in a patronising way as if she couldn't work anything out for herself without a man to tell her.

@janiep knows that because I carefully walked her through the concept in detail the other day ;)

Last edited:
The dictionary definition of mansplaining is to tell a woman something she already knows in a patronising way as if she couldn't work anything out for herself without a man to tell her.

@janiep knows that because I carefully walked her through the concept in detail the other day ;)

I understood the original concept, however it seems that “mansplaining” is something that can be chucked at any bloke who says something a woman disagrees with and can’t form a coherent argument against.

Biographers can be a bit proprietary and overzealous IMHO

You would honestly be accused of mansplaining for that comment.

Back