Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just come back yesterday from a holiday including Porec just up the road from Rovinj. Absolutely superb place, cracking resort currently completely unspoilt by Brits abroad. I was very surprised at how well developed and affluent the area was. The climate is also brilliant and no mosquito's!! The whole place has a feel very reminiscent of Tuscany including the hilllside towns, Groznjan is well worth a visit, very chilled out place.
We drove down there via Munich through Austria and Slovenia and as Lambchops says the drive is one of the best parts. We headed up for a few days at Lake Bled in Slovenia (taking in Ljubljana enroute) then up to Salzburg (taking in Berchtesgarten enroute) for a couple of days before finishing off in Brussels (taking in Dachau enroute!).
Was a great trip but Porec was certainly the highlight and the best value for money, hopefully it stays off the beaten track for the main lager loutish Brit Abroad for a good few years yet, it would be a real shame if it had to suffer that.
We visited Porec in June 2016 for a pleasant day trip but I personally feel Rovinj has so much more to offer.
We were also considering driving down. Our lass has a cousin in Neu Ulm in southern Germany which is pretty much en route and is supposed to be really good. However we will hire a car and may spend a couple of days in Slovenia. Piran looks well worth a visit.

Reactions: DJP

Just come back yesterday from a holiday including Porec just up the road from Rovinj. Absolutely superb place, cracking resort currently completely unspoilt by Brits abroad. I was very surprised at how well developed and affluent the area was. The climate is also brilliant and no mosquito's!! The whole place has a feel very reminiscent of Tuscany including the hilllside towns, Groznjan is well worth a visit, very chilled out place.
We drove down there via Munich through Austria and Slovenia and as Lambchops says the drive is one of the best parts. We headed up for a few days at Lake Bled in Slovenia (taking in Ljubljana enroute) then up to Salzburg (taking in Berchtesgarten enroute) for a couple of days before finishing off in Brussels (taking in Dachau enroute!).
Was a great trip but Porec was certainly the highlight and the best value for money, hopefully it stays off the beaten track for the main lager loutish Brit Abroad for a good few years yet, it would be a real shame if it had to suffer that.
Groznjan is lush, as is another stunning hilltop town Motovun (known as "The Village in the Clouds"). Both are a haven for artists and are so chilled out.

As others have said, Rovinj is stunning and a personal favourite of mine. We used to stay in the Park Hotel which had spectacular views across the harbour to the Old Town. It got demolished at the end of the 2016 summer season and is being replaced by a 5 star hotel due to be opened next year. I'm keeping an eye open for any opening week special offers!

Groznjan is lush, as is another stunning hilltop town Motovun (known as "The Village in the Clouds"). Both are a haven for artists and are so chilled out.

As others have said, Rovinj is stunning and a personal favourite of mine. We used to stay in the Park Hotel which had spectacular views across the harbour to the Old Town. It got demolished at the end of the 2016 summer season and is being replaced by a 5 star hotel due to be opened next year. I'm keeping an eye open for any opening week special offers!
Just googled Groznjan and it looks brilliant. Thanks for the nod on that one. Hopefully most of the tourists will have left by the time we visit.

Reactions: DJP
Went last year, stayed just outside Dubrovnik in Orasaac which is a 5 minute bus journey into Old Town, it's an absolutely beautiful place.

Not Croatia, but Kotor in Montenegro is another lovely place over that neck of the woods if people are travelling about.

We do that as well, its about half way to where we stay so we have a couple of days there on the way - breaks the drive up having 2 kids under 3 and lake bled is stunning

Not Croatia, but Kotor in Montenegro is another lovely place over that neck of the woods if people are travelling about.
Agreed. We went there on a day trip from Dubrovnik in 2014. We hired a private driver for the day and he was brill, told us loads about the history of Dalmatia\Croatia\Montenegro and the 1990s Balkan War. He was only only about 10 at the time but was trapped at his grandmothers in Sarejevo during the Siege of Sarajevo. He managed to escape with his father but his gran refused to leave the city she had lived in for decades. He never saw her again. On the way back from Montenegro our driver called in at a really spooky place on the outskirts of Srebreno, just south east of Dubrovnik. It was a derelict four star hotel overlooking the bay which had been shelled to fuck by Serb artillery from across the bay in Cavtat. As I wandered about inside what was left of the hotel you could still see mattresses and furniture in tatters and there were bullet and shell holes everywhere. It was a similar eerie feeling driving back from Plitvice Lakes to Rovinj back in 2006 as we drove past minefields that were still guarded by U.N. troops.

Off topic from Croatia but a few have mentioned Germany and driving through etc.....

Anyway got any words of wisdom on a good place to stop for two nights in Germany on route back from Switzerland up towards Amsterdam (IJmuiden). Need to find somewhere for a decent layover and something to do with two kids on our drive back from Italy.

Anywhere from sort of Karlsruhe to Koblenz / Frankfurt area really.

Off topic from Croatia but a few have mentioned Germany and driving through etc.....

Anyway got any words of wisdom on a good place to stop for two nights in Germany on route back from Switzerland up towards Amsterdam (IJmuiden). Need to find somewhere for a decent layover and something to do with two kids on our drive back from Italy.

Anywhere from sort of Karlsruhe to Koblenz / Frankfurt area really.

We did Munich as a stopover which was good but doesn't really fit locationly with what you want

Recently stayed in Dubrovnik old town , ideal for a short break , first time in Croatia but tempted to try Pula or Split soon

Been to Rovinj in the North a couple of times in the past two years. Very few Brits, no pissheads (apart from me), no grown men in football tops, no stag or hen parties, no karaoke bars, a scratter free zone.
Lots of fantastic restaurants, fantastic bars, friendly people, stunning views, crystal clear water and VERY low prices.
Going again in late September. We'll nip over to Venice on the hydrofoil for a day trip. Back in Croatia we'll rent a car (very cheap) and drive up to Slovenia and Italy.
Sadly more flights are starting to fly into Pula so I fear it's a matter of time before it's spoiled.

Hi mate - we're off to Croatia for the first time this weekend for two weeks and the first four night are in Rovinj, so delighted to read your post - sounds class.

Quick question for you if you don't mind - what's the best way to manage the currency? i.e. Is it mainly Kunar everywhere or euros? I've got one of those preloaded currently cards with loads of euros on it, so do you know if the ATM's will accept these?

Cheers

Hi mate - we're off to Croatia for the first time this weekend for two weeks and the first four night are in Rovinj, so delighted to read your post - sounds class.

Quick question for you if you don't mind - what's the best way to manage the currency? i.e. Is it mainly Kunar everywhere or euros? I've got one of those preloaded currently cards with loads of euros on it, so do you know if the ATM's will accept these?

Cheers
Aye, you can use that no bother over there.

Generally the Croation coast is much nicer the further South you go, much the same applies to the weather in the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back