Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Boy

Winger
what a fantastic country.

Came to split last Tuesday, spent 3 days there with a day trip to hvar included. Hired a car on the Friday and drive over the border to Mostar, which was also fantastic. We then drove onto dubrovnik, never have I had a drive like it, through the mountains on a one lane road.

Few days in dubrovnik then we headed up to makarska for half a day then up to the krka waterfalls and Sibinek, then onto zadar for 2 nights.

Went to the pag bridge, mountains and beach today which was a fantastic experience.

Heading home tomorrow but doing trogir before we have the rest of the day in split.

Do a week here. You won't regret it.

Fantastic country to drive in, very scenic as you say that drive through the mountains is special
Aye it's class.

Done a few drives:

Split > Mostar
Mostar > dubrovnik
Dubrovnik > makarska
Makarska > krka
Krka > zadar
Zadar > pag.

All the views have been stunning.

Bosnia was very poor in comparison to Croatia

Came to split last Tuesday, spent 3 days there with a day trip to hvar included. Hired a car on the Friday and drive over the border to Mostar, which was also fantastic. We then drove onto dubrovnik, never have I had a drive like it, through the mountains on a one lane road.

Few days in dubrovnik then we headed up to makarska for half a day then up to the krka waterfalls and Sibinek, then onto zadar for 2 nights.

Went to the pag bridge, mountains and beach today which was a fantastic experience.

Heading home tomorrow but doing trogir before we have the rest of the day in split.

Daughter just announced (no) shes of Interrailing 18th Aug Flying To Croatia ,, staying in Split (youthHostels ) then traveling through Europe

Excellent stuff.

We intend to spend a few weeks driving around Croatia next year as part of a "gap" year as we love the place.

Any tips you'd like to pass on?

Been to Rovinj in the North a couple of times in the past two years. Very few Brits, no pissheads (apart from me), no grown men in football tops, no stag or hen parties, no karaoke bars, a scratter free zone.
Lots of fantastic restaurants, fantastic bars, friendly people, stunning views, crystal clear water and VERY low prices.
Going again in late September. We'll nip over to Venice on the hydrofoil for a day trip. Back in Croatia we'll rent a car (very cheap) and drive up to Slovenia and Italy.
Sadly more flights are starting to fly into Pula so I fear it's a matter of time before it's spoiled.

Excellent stuff.

We intend to spend a few weeks driving around Croatia next year as part of a "gap" year as we love the place.

Any tips you'd like to pass on?
Yeah just get a hire car and do any place you fancy. There's a craft beer place in split called leopards which is fantastic. About £2.50 a pint.

Got some bait in makarska which was toppa but name escapes me. Pm me before you go and I'll send info

Been to Rovinj in the North a couple of times in the past two years. Very few Brits, no pissheads (apart from me), no grown men in football tops, no stag or hen parties, no karaoke bars, a scratter free zone.
Lots of fantastic restaurants, fantastic bars, friendly people, stunning views, crystal clear water and VERY low prices.
Going again in late September. We'll nip over to Venice on the hydrofoil for a day trip. Back in Croatia we'll rent a car (very cheap) and drive up to Slovenia and Italy.
Sadly more flights are starting to fly into Pula so I fear it's a matter of time before it's spoiled.
They've started putting fines in the brit abroad places. In hvar it's a 700 quid fine for drinking on the street or walking around topless. Saw some cockney lasses get the slap.

We drive down to Croatia through Austria and Slovenia - the drives part of the hol for me its class :) 6 weeks til we are back there

Yeah just get a hire car and do any place you fancy. There's a craft beer place in split called leopards which is fantastic. About £2.50 a pint.

Got some bait in makarska which was toppa but name escapes me. Pm me before you go and I'll send info

They've started putting fines in the brit abroad places. In hvar it's a 700 quid fine for drinking on the street or walking around topless. Saw some cockney lasses get the slap.

It'll be next year (April/May time) but thanks, I will. Makarska was on the list of places to do

We went there about 10 years ago, via Italy and Slovenia (Piran). Agree with what you say, nice little place ideal for a relaxing bod about and a few lite ales of an evening.

So jealous!

We love Croatia and have been to loads of places over the years in that gorgeous country. Earlier this year we had a week in beautiful Bol on the island of Brac (Zlatani Rat beach and all that). We had a day in Split and stayed in Trogir on our last night as it was handy for the airport.

Zadar is on my wishlist as we've never been there and it's only an hour and a half from Plitvice Lakes.

Just come back yesterday from a holiday including Porec just up the road from Rovinj. Absolutely superb place, cracking resort currently completely unspoilt by Brits abroad. I was very surprised at how well developed and affluent the area was. The climate is also brilliant and no mosquito's!! The whole place has a feel very reminiscent of Tuscany including the hilllside towns, Groznjan is well worth a visit, very chilled out place.
We drove down there via Munich through Austria and Slovenia and as Lambchops says the drive is one of the best parts. We headed up for a few days at Lake Bled in Slovenia (taking in Ljubljana enroute) then up to Salzburg (taking in Berchtesgarten enroute) for a couple of days before finishing off in Brussels (taking in Dachau enroute!).
Was a great trip but Porec was certainly the highlight and the best value for money, hopefully it stays off the beaten track for the main lager loutish Brit Abroad for a good few years yet, it would be a real shame if it had to suffer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back