Croatia Advice

Even though the consensus is that Zagreb isn't so great, my friend still wants to go there. She has found cheap flights into Zagreb so it looks like we'll be starting there and she will be leaving out of Rijeka. This is a tentative plan of what we would like to do:

Zagreb > Plitvice Lakes area > Split area > Dubrovnik > Pula area

We have 14 days, give or take; how long would you spend in each area bearing that in mind?

Even though the consensus is that Zagreb isn't so great, my friend still wants to go there. She has found cheap flights into Zagreb so it looks like we'll be starting there and she will be leaving out of Rijeka. This is a tentative plan of what we would like to do:

Zagreb > Plitvice Lakes area > Split area > Dubrovnik > Pula area hi

We have 14 days, give or take; how long would you spend in each area bearing that in mind?
When you go to the Pula area it has to be Rovinj. The accommodation in the old town is very cramped and car parking is a problem.
The area I’ve marked is only 5 to 10 minutes walk away but much roomier and cheaper accommodation. There’s free car parking, very cheap supermarkets and a couple of very cheap bars filled with locals.
I've booked with booking.com before and knocked on doors before and got decent deals.
I’m tempted to book a flight again!
Logon or register to see this image

When you go to the Pula area it has to be Rovinj. The accommodation in the old town is very cramped and car parking is a problem.
The area I’ve marked is only 5 to 10 minutes walk away but much roomier and cheaper accommodation. There’s free car parking, very cheap supermarkets and a couple of very cheap bars filled with locals.
I've booked with booking.com before and knocked on doors before and got decent deals.
We drove up from Porec to Rovinj for dinner one night last year, spent two hours getting parked, when we finally got sorted the skies went blacker than a coal mine and the mother of all storms hit the town, tables and parasols from all the restaurants were flying all over the town and we got soaked clean through to the skin. Gave it up as a dead loss after half an hour and got back in the car to Porec and when we got back there the skies were blue and all was good with the world. I'm not going back to Rovinj, a devil resides there.

We drove up from Porec to Rovinj for dinner one night last year, spent two hours getting parked, when we finally got sorted the skies went blacker than a coal mine and the mother of all storms hit the town, tables and parasols from all the restaurants were flying all over the town and we got soaked clean through to the skin. Gave it up as a dead loss after half an hour and got back in the car to Porec and when we got back there the skies were blue and all was good with the world. I'm not going back to Rovinj, a devil resides there.

It pissed down in Rovinj all the time I was there and I didn’t reckon all that much of Pula.
I much preferred it further South.
Stayed in Dubrovnik a few times and also liked most of the resorts and islands in the Southern half of Croatia where as I mentioned before the weather is much more reliable.

My Lads heading to Orebic in the summer, anyone any info about there? It's opposite Korcula and up the coast from Dubrovnik, halfway to Split but out on the peninsula.

Enough detail for me, still got my Karlovacko mug ! Think this thread has made my mind up to go back. Got good friends in Zagreb who met us at the coast and arranged everything for us. It was great having your own local guide, we went to a farm one night for a food/wine tasting and it was among the best I've ever had

Enough detail for me, still got my Karlovacko mug ! Think this thread has made my mind up to go back. Got good friends in Zagreb who met us at the coast and arranged everything for us. It was great having your own local guide, we went to a farm one night for a food/wine tasting and it was among the best I've ever had
Brilliant

We're going to a wine and cheese tasting while we're in Split

I've stayed at the Hotel Park a couple of times, fabulous sea views across the harbour to the Old Town. The hotel was demolished 18 months ago and has been rebuilt as a 5 star ECO friendly hotel and promises to be stunning. It re-opens this year (maybe now?):

Grand Park Hotel Rovinj - Istria, Croatia - Official Website - Maistra

In October we're staying in a gorgeous 2 bedroom apartment on the top side of the Old Town so-to-speak as you look at your satellite view above. It has a terrace where you can practically dip your toes in the sea and is only about 100 yards from the fruit & veg market, just above & left of where it says "Zavicajni muzej grada Rovinja" on your pic. Can't wait :cool:

Where did you lot stay when you visited Plitvice? We're attempting to do this on a tight budget and the surrounding accommodations are all pretty pricey. What would be the nearest cheap place to stay if we were to drive to the national park?

Also, how much to fill a car's tank there roughly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you lot stay when you visited Plitvice? We're attempting to do this on a tight budget and the surrounding accommodations are all pretty pricey. What would be the nearest cheap place to stay if we were to drive to the national park?

48 litres of diesel was just over £52 last time I filled the car kn9.22 per litre.

We've just paid 63 euros for 2 nights at 16 Lake Rooms at or near Plitvice

Don't know if it's on the agenda for you but we've just done the drive from Split to Dubrovnik (via Makarska) on the coast road and it is fantastic!

Were looking at staying in Cavtat for 10 days in September and travelling about on days out to Dubrovnik, the islands etc.

Probably meeting a friend there for two weeks in June. I'm about to start my own. research but thought I'd also ask the font of all knowledge that is the SMB for advice too. We want to see a few different spots so where should we look to start and where should we definitely see? How easy and costly is transport over there? Is it expensive to eat and drink there? Any other useful info appreciated. Cheers.

It's a big country, mate, so depends which end you're going.

It also has an outstanding coast from top to bottom, so wherever you are providing you're not far from water you'll be alright.

Split is where a lot of young people go, people from all over Eastern Europe posing around the marina/coast line (bars interspersed with palm trees scenario). Split is also quite famous for architecture/history. Personally I wasn't that impressed but still decent all the same.

Dubrovnik is extremely expensive but pleasing on the eye.

Two weeks? You could easily spend a bit of time in Mostar in Bosnia and Kotor in Montenegro. Of the two I preferred Mostar. Both no more than a couple of hours drive from Dubrovnik.

Have a look at these places on You Tube if you're interested.

The best for me though was staying in North West Croatia, near Italy, and has an Italian feel in the back streets. And, you can easily spend a day or two in Venice from there and Slovenia.

I really like Croatia, and the drive from Split to Dubrovnik is just outstanding along the coast road.

I'm off to Sarajevo in June and thinking about spending a few days in Belgrade. 'Love the Balkans.

One thing I would definitely recommend, given you have two weeks is to stay somewhere where you can go to another country too. North West Croatia and Dubrovnik would fit that bill.

Were looking at staying in Cavtat for 10 days in September and travelling about on days out to Dubrovnik, the islands etc.

We stayed right next door to Cavtat last time I was there.

How much per day do you think we will need to spend? Not fussed about fancy restaurants or anything. A few drinks would be nice on a night. My friend is worried about cost, even though I've shown her the glowing praise in this thread. Must admit, after researching today, I really want to go so need something to persuade her!

Well, if you stay near Dubrovnik, and go to Mostar in Bosnia, you can get a
went to Zagreb in Feb, was alright

I really liked Zagreb. Bohemian feel, lots of bands on.

Mostar is worth a visit apparently

Didn’t have time sadly

I've been, loved it.

Wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but you have a few cultures in a short space which makes for interesting architecture and social life.

You've picked a good month to go as well, mate, as it gets boiling - the weather in June will be perfect.

And, I've never been to a more relaxing place. Everything about it is peaceful: the weather, the sea, the people (which is interesting given their history during WW2).

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Anything Bosnian worth checking out on the way through?

The driving is fine over to Mostar in Bosnia and down to Kotor in Montenegro (have a look at Kotor on You Tube and you may be interested - about an hour and a half from Dubrovnik and pretty special).

The drive down that coast road is out of this world.

Last edited:

Back