Cricket watch a long on sky. Athers Vs Donald

hefty em

Striker
Good watch this. Think it was the series that got me into cricket. Anyone watching?

Vodcast with Jimmy and dale steyn last night was very good too.

watched it, was decent

I know people wont agree but bit tired of hearing about 90s stuff, I love Athers n Nass but we were average as fuck, and bit bored of hearing how supposedly better the attacks were, they weren't

Its like the think facing Steyn, Morkel and Philander wasn't as hard.

I am probs just being a twat though

watched it, was decent

I know people wont agree but bit tired of hearing about 90s stuff, I love Athers n Nass but we were average as fuck, and bit bored of hearing how supposedly better the attacks were, they weren't

First season I watched was 89 ashes aged 8. I watched every series home and away in the 90s and I think it was a brilliant era. Oppo teams were excellent and didn’t come over here and raise the white flag when the ball started swinging. The WI, Aussies, Pakistanis and even NZ would come at us hard and often beat us; SA too after readmittance

We were crap but selection and central contracts which the ausssies moved to early would have helped. I believe the plyers were there - organisation, planning, infrastructure weren’t

It was a much better era for test cricket than the last ten years

First season I watched was 89 ashes aged 8. I watched every series home and away in the 90s and I think it was a brilliant era. Oppo teams were excellent and didn’t come over here and raise the white flag when the ball started swinging. The WI, Aussies, Pakistanis and even NZ would come at us hard and often beat us; SA too after readmittance

We were crap but selection and central contracts which the ausssies moved to early would have helped. I believe the plyers were there - organisation, planning, infrastructure weren’t

It was a much better era for test cricket than the last ten years

I dont disagree with all that, the the things with central contracts is well documented

i just feel it gets a lot of press on Sky because of the age of the pundis, who are really good

It wasn't harder than other periods IMO

I just think we had a whole period under Strauss, and even onwards in winning in India, thrashing India, South Africa, Aussies at home which very rarely gets discussed or shown IMO

My point is more that I think the balance is a bit off on the coverage, the 90s and 2005 gets discussed so much its mad.

England's win in India is one of the greatest in my life time IMO, I've never seen it and barely heard about it since it happened. Get my point?

There isn't an England team I dislike, like hearing insight from all periods, its just apparent to me there is far too much nostalgia from that period going on.

I dont disagree with all that, the the things with central contracts is well documented

i just feel it gets a lot of press on Sky because of the age of the pundis, who are really good

It wasn't harder than other periods IMO

I just think we had a whole period under Strauss, and even onwards in winning in India, thrashing India, South Africa, Aussies at home which very rarely gets discussed or shown IMO

My point is more that I think the balance is a bit off on the coverage, the 90s and 2005 gets discussed so much its mad.

England's win in India is one of the greatest in my life time IMO, I've never seen it and barely heard about it since it happened. Get my point?

There isn't an England team I dislike, like hearing insight from all periods, its just apparent to me there is far too much nostalgia from that period going on.

I think 2005 gets discussed a lot and rightly soo for 3 reasons, one closeness of the games and two we beat one of the best test sides they has ever been and three most importantly the way we did it with a fantastic brand of attacking cricket, we took the Aussies on at their own game and fought fire with fire and won against the odds.

I think the England victories after that were very good but the brand of cricket was not as good or as impressive as 2005 imo.

I think 2005 gets discussed a lot and rightly soo for 3 reasons, one closeness of the games and two we beat one of the best test sides they has ever been and three most importantly the way we did it with a fantastic brand of attacking cricket, we took the Aussies on at their own game and fought fire with fire and won against the odds.

I think the England victories after that were very good but the brand of cricket was not as good or as impressive as 2005 imo.

Its absolutely none stop with the 2005 stuff like, I enjoyed it as much as anyone at the time, and now and again its good to look back on, but its just every time now, bit sick of hearing the words Simon Jones for example

People like Bresnan, to pick someone at random, helped bowl England to one in the world, big reason we won ashes in oz etc. Just mix it up like, we had our best period in my lifetime under strauss, much better side.

Just mix it up like

Its absolutely none stop with the 2005 stuff like, I enjoyed it as much as anyone at the time, and now and again its good to look back on, but its just every time now, bit sick of hearing the words Simon Jones for example

People like Bresnan, to pick someone at random, helped bowl England to one in the world, big reason we won ashes in oz etc. Just mix it up like, we had our best period in my lifetime under strauss, much better side.

Just mix it up like

Whether they were a better side,is up for debate, but that was not the point I was trying to get across.

Before 2005 we were used to getting slaughtered of the Aussies every time, and they had the best side in the world possibly best side ever!

Yet we took them on at their own game and beat them, remember scoring 400 in a day against them it was great to watch, although the side under Strauss was great it never reached that entertainment level or surprise of victory.

The moment at the end of second test was a iconic moment in sport for me personally as it was what sport is all about for me, fanastic brilliant game, yet at the end Flintoff went over to Brett Lee to shake his hand and say well played mate.

Both players gave their absolute all for their country , but good enough to still have mutual respect for each other and showed you can be a good loser and still give your all, it’s what sport is about.

Every time I see sportsman behave badly when losing a game, or hear people say show me a good loser and I will show you a loser, I always think bollocks and think of that moment.

I think the England side of the mid to late 70's were underrated. We learned a lot from the tonking Australia gave us and were desperately unlucky to lose the return series a few months later.

The Windies swept us aside but they were virtually unplayable in '76, although we almost levelled the series with one to play. We then hammered India in the first test in the winter of '77 after regaining The Ashes against a full strength Australia.

We also won at home against India, Pakistan and New Zealand. The 5-1 Ashes win down under I don't really count as Australia had lost all their first choice players to WSC We did also draw a series in Pakistan.

There seemed to be a good blend of youth and experience and Mike Brearley, possibly up there with Clive Lloyd as the best captain in world cricket at the time.

We also had our first World Cup Final appearance in '79. The Windies were wobbling at 99 for 4, only for England to be undone by the sheer brilliance of Collis King.

I always think of that era as 'under the radar' because it was a good England side with impressive test series wins, yet nobody thought or said much of it at the time.

watched it, was decent

Maybe, but Athertons innings in Jo’berg was right up there with Botham 1981, Stokes 2019.

An Absolute masterclass in batting.

Maybe, but Athertons innings in Jo’berg was right up there with Botham 1981, Stokes 2019.

An Absolute masterclass in batting.

Sorry it was no where near as good as Stokes 2019 for me, that's not taking anything away from Atherton innings.

Just that Stokes innings was the best test innings of all time!

he did actually get him out like

Stokes? Aye, he was plum in front.
Sorry it was no where near as good as Stokes 2019 for me, that's not taking anything away from Atherton innings.

Stokes Innings probably was aye I wouldn’t disagree. I’m a purist though and I loved that Atherton innings, total focus and bloody minded stubbornness in the face of all the odds.

Last edited:
Stokes? Aye, he was plum in front.

Stokes Innings probably was aye I wouldn’t disagree. I’m a purist though and I loved that Atherton innings, total focus and bloody minded stubbornness in the face of all the odds.

Yeah fair enough, but think Stokes one was just simply brilliant, I like the way he played it throughout careful at the start something like 2 of 70 balls!

This was what was needed at the time then increased the pace when required, I admire batsman who can adapt to what is required in the game situation and be able to change their game accordingly, that why I admire batsman who can play a test match one day, then a T20 the next and a 50 over the next yet be successful in all.

Yeah fair enough, but think Stokes one was just simply brilliant, I like the way he played it throughout careful at the start something like 2 of 70 balls!

This was what was needed at the time then increased the pace when required, I admire batsman who can adapt to what is required in the game situation and be able to change their game accordingly, that why I admire batsman who can play a test match one day, then a T20 the next and a 50 over the next yet be successful in all.

I know, my claim to fame is I was there on the Saturday to see the hard yards done :lol:

Stokes' innings at Headingley will rightfully go down as one of the best of all time, but he was plumb LBW and should have been given out. Taking nothing away from it but it's not the best test innings IMO.

Stokes' innings at Headingley will rightfully go down as one of the best of all time, but he was plumb LBW and should have been given out. Taking nothing away from it but it's not the best test innings IMO.

Well yeah guess that will remain a personal preference and opinion, they may have been better test match innings in some people’s opinion which is fair enough and if so you will be able to count them on one hand.

My main point though is my personal preference is always where a batsman has the ability to change throughout their innings from defence to attack or vice versa, as strongly think the great great players are capable of doing that and been successful in whatever format, and would always put Stokes innings above Athertons

Back