Cricket Teas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadly I' ve noticed a deterioration in standards this season so far but the 30 minute break in most recreational cricket is necessary . most games start about 1pm /1.30 which is too early for more than a snack lunch. By the time the games finish (7/7.30),without tea most of the players would be very hungry by then.
Let's not forget the umpires - they are out in the middle for the duration and the 30 minute break is barely long enough to relax ,eat tea and re focus for the second innings. Many umpires are retired players and often in their 60's/70's and are probably more needy of the break than the players!

Soft southerners.

What is it with Hampshire wankers trying to ruin cricket?! :evil:

Seriously though, the main point from that article was not the tea, but how long a game lasts that is causing many players to wrap in or not play as often.

A young family and a demanding job is what keeps me from playing every week even though I'd like to play 3/4 days a week!

Scrapping tea for games that last in excess of 60 overs just isn't practical anyway. You'd have people keeling over through a lack of sustenance.

Its often at tea where lads from both sides have a bit of a chat with each other. Take that away and the game suffers. I've had many a good tea interval making friends.

£2000 to make teas? They need to rethink things. At Belmont a few years ago we addressed the problem. Everyone brought a bit, sarnies, savoury and sweet. Worked and still does from what I hear. A couple of quid each week and twenty minutes to do.

£2000 to make teas? They need to rethink things. At Belmont a few years ago we addressed the problem. Everyone brought a bit, sarnies, savoury and sweet. Worked and still does from what I hear. A couple of quid each week and twenty minutes to do.
I played a season in the NEDCL years ago for hospitals in their last season and we were told to bring enough for 2. 11 players did that and you had a full tea for the away team as well. Worked well.

For some the tea is the best part of the day particularly if you get a first ball duck.

You can imagine lads will be well pleased after getting a first baller then having to feild for the next 3 hours while feeling hungry.

I played in the Bournemouth District league a few times. Their teas down there were scones and cakes. Nee sarnies. Nice but no sign of butties. All wranguns.

I wouldn't bother playing if it wasn't for the teas. In our league the home team provides the tea. In our case each player makes enough for themselves and one of the opposition. Sarnies, pies, cakes etc.
One of the first things we do at the start of the season is to check out which away games will do the best teas - Crathie is traditionally the 'winner' - in the shadow of Balmoral Castle and with tea including hot pies supplied from a craft butcher in Ballater - magic!

Cricket without teas is like football without goal posts. If you can't afford 30 mins for tea you shouldn't be playing. Pride ourselves here in Portugal on our teas !! We do dinner for touring sides as well all for 10 euros so £2000 ........

Cricket without teas is like football without goal posts. If you can't afford 30 mins for tea you shouldn't be playing. Pride ourselves here in Portugal on our teas !! We do dinner for touring sides as well all for 10 euros so £2000 ........

I love Portuguese cuisine - I shall speak to our club secretary about organising a tour!!

If the teas got scrapped i wouldnt play anymore - like has already been said above, i usually get a shit score to the next best thing to look forward to is a decent tea.

I personally think games should start earlier... not getting finished until 7/7.30 on a Sunday is a right pain in the arse ... Wait about all morning to start at 1.30... An 11.00/11.30 start would be better in my opinion... Keep teas and games are finished earlier and the game doesn't eat into your night too... I know of at least 3 that packed in for this reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back