Crete for a holiday ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milvus Milvus

Midfield
Fancy going mid August, I know it will be hot, anyone recommend a resort, town or hotel. I'm not a beach dweller or drinker, walk and a bit of culture.

When you say culture, do you mean some old ruins you've never heard about before and will have literally no interest in after your holiday? The sort of attraction where the only thing you can say is "Wow, it's amazing to think how old these are."?

You'll love Crete if so imo there mate.

When you say culture, do you mean some old ruins you've never heard about before and will have literally no interest in after your holiday? The sort of attraction where the only thing you can say is "Wow, it's amazing to think how old these are."?

You'll love Crete if so imo there mate.
Your spot on.

I'm going next year because I read about Spinalonga and want to visit.

Staying in Kato Gouves which looks like a quiet resort, not that built up and with a nice prom along the sea front.

Spinalonga is interesting to read about but not worth the visit imo. Not much to see on a desolate island.

Fancy going mid August, I know it will be hot, anyone recommend a resort, town or hotel. I'm not a beach dweller or drinker, walk and a bit of culture.
Went to Crete a couple of years ago & loved it. But we had a lie around the pool relax holiday & out for a meal on the night. No culture. Food was good though. Stopped in a little town 15mins from Retheymnon.

Do some parts of the E4 path ?
August will be brain melting hot mind.
As someone else said, the South coast is wonderful.
http://www.cretetravel.com/travel_tips/walking-hiking-in-crete
Very windy in the south "Pardon vicar" dont go if anyone wants to sunbathe on the beach...great walks though......if your going to hire car or m bikes it doesnt matter where you stay .....Rethymonon (spelling) is ok but august ...you need factor 500000000000000.( dont go to plakias in the south)

Best food I had in Crete was in a restaurant in Stavros, north of Chrania. Can't remember the name, but was by the beach at an old windmill. Worth the drive - by far the best greek food I've had.

Too late for an edit: It's called "Almyriki"

Last edited:
I'm going next year because I read about Spinalonga and want to visit.

Staying in Kato Gouves which looks like a quiet resort, not that built up and with a nice prom along the sea front.

We were at Gouves (resort which is on the coast as opposed to actual village which is a little bit inland) about 20 years ago and enjoyed it. was a one street resort back then and with a sea front with lots of tavernas.
I imagine it has been built up now.

2 years ago we stayed at elounda which is the village harbour area for the boats to go to Spinalonga. Tremendous holiday. Spinalonga is a good visit. The island is about 15 / 20 minutes boat ride. The tour lasts about 1 hour and with about 1 hour free to wonder. Nice morning out with a interesting trip.

Never been for a good few years....have they sorted out their sewage systems yet or do you still have to put your shitty bog roll in a bin?

We were at Gouves (resort which is on the coast as opposed to actual village which is a little bit inland) about 20 years ago and enjoyed it. was a one street resort back then and with a sea front with lots of tavernas.
I imagine it has been built up now.

2 years ago we stayed at elounda which is the village harbour area for the boats to go to Spinalonga. Tremendous holiday. Spinalonga is a good visit. The island is about 15 / 20 minutes boat ride. The tour lasts about 1 hour and with about 1 hour free to wonder. Nice morning out with a interesting trip.

It still looks small on Google maps. No high rise blocks and plenty of open space so it looks more villagey than busy party resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back