CRC / colonoscopy advice

Drink plenty of clear fluids in the week before the test so you're fully hydrated.

Follow the diet sheet you'll be given to the letter. If you don't prep properly, you'll have to go through it all again.

Don't plan on doing anything when you take the laxatives. It's brutal. You'll feel like Satan himself is unleashing himself from your arsehole. I also go shivery cold during this phase so have warm clothing on and a blanket handy.

Keep drinking plain water during the laxative phase and until your nil by mouth time.

Sedative is good as it makes you relaxed. You're still awake and still aware of what's going on but feel slightly pissed and chilled out.

Don't be alarmed if you hear them saying they are taking samples for biopsy. This is normal and it doesn't mean they've found cancer.

You'll need someone to pick you up if you have sedative and you can't drive etc., for 24 hours afterwards.

Best of luck xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one in January. I have to say it wasn't pleasant. The prep stage was particularly brutal, taking the senna and the drink resulted in stomach pains and you'll really need to be close to a loo. The procedure for me was painful due to diverticular pockets which they found, however my sister had one too and hers was no problem. You'll feel knackered afterwards.

Use the sedative option, it's not as bad as you think and watching your insides on the monitor is interesting, if a little unsettling as you watch the little machine eat the polys in you colon.

Aye worst bit was the laxatives, needs to have the day off work before, never felt a thing for the procedure :eek:

Had the sedative but not sure it did owt anyway, felt no different.

Last edited:
Didn’t have the sedative...the pre camera powder “clear out” is amazing mind :eek: :lol:

Quite bizzare being in a side ward while everyone is farting away after the camera...

If you have Moviprep then I’d recommend some Vaseline as you will be struggling to go more than about 5-10 minutes without needing the bathroom. Get some aloe toilet roll as well. Also make sure you get the sedative when it’s being done - it makes a world of difference.

edit - see about also getting some cordial (NOT black currant or red cordial) for the Moviprep as well as it tastes absolutely vile.

Last edited:
If you have Moviprep then I’d recommend some Vaseline as you will be struggling to go more than about 5-10 minutes without needing the bathroom. Get some aloe toilet roll as well. Also make sure you get the sedative when it’s being done - it makes a world of difference.

edit - see about also getting some cordial (NOT black currant or red cordial) for the Moviprep as well as it tastes absolutely vile.
:D :D ^^^^ This, take note, definitely this. BTW I used wet wipes !!

Last edited:

Back