Crap work “Secret Santa” presents

M

Mick Dundee

I know this place is full of miserable gits who wouldn’t dream of partaking in such workplace activities, but what are everyone’s worst experiences of these?

We exchanged ours before the Christmas party on Friday and I was given a Christmas jumper. Sounds fine, especially as we had a £10 limit. Except for the fact it was size S ad I’m 6’3, 14 stone with abnormally long arms. Think I may have been a victim of “re-gifting”.

To compound my disappointment, the other man in the office got a small bottle of single malt!

Last edited:

At a previous company, We would do Secret Santa before going out for the Christmas party.

A rather straight laced colleague of mine received an Ironing board cover with Jordan on it in a bikini. The twist was that the bikini was heat sensitive and would disappear when heated.

Loads of us thought it was a great present, he didn’t. He had a right hissy fit about it and went home before the Christmas party started.

I do one in an online group I'm in. Last year I got a girly pink umbrella and shopping bag with "I love shopping" written on it.

I'm not a girly pink kind of lass and I hate shopping! I have also done merchandising for the said company and I know it was an old line that was discontinued a couple of years back, so I'm guessing it was re-gifted. I sent it to school when they were asking for tombola donations for a fundraising event so it saved me buying something for that.

Years ago a lad at work was given a goldfish, complete with bowl. He arranged it so he got the lass who'd given him it the next year and he bought her a Stretch Armstrong toy. He wrapped it in newspaper as it cost £9.99 and there was no way he was going over the £10 limit.

I’ve never worked anywhere that has done this kind of thing before, and I’m beginning to think that may have been a good thing.

I assume its ‘secret’ in all but name?

I’ve never worked anywhere that has done this kind of thing before, and I’m beginning to think that may have been a good thing.

Everyone insists you do it because “it’s what Christmas is all about” but it’s the same people who will insist of setting a spending limit of a fiver and then will also say “don’t feel the need to spend the full amount”.

Absolute f***ing meffs mate.

Everywhere I’ve worked it’s been kept secret. A few people guess correctly, but that’s mainly when someone has actually been paying attemtion to things the person has said during the year and got them a good present (like when I got the 16 year old lad who was into his “indie” music the first Stone Roses album because we’d had a big conversation a couple of months earlier about how he’d never heard of the Roses; or when I was given a DVD of the first DiCanio 3-0 game).

Back