Craft Beer

Tesco getting Northern Monk Northern Star in. Not particularly excited about a 440ml can since I bought the 330ml from Morrison’s.

Feels like the supermarkets have ran out of steam. There’s not much at all to get excited about outside if proper beer shops.
The new Buxton and the Omnipollo lemon meringue are pretty good but I’m glad people are starting to get sick of supermarket craft. :D

Tesco getting Northern Monk Northern Star in. Not particularly excited about a 440ml can since I bought the 330ml from Morrison’s.

Feels like the supermarkets have ran out of steam. There’s not much at all to get excited about outside if proper beer shops.

330 ml was enough. Tesco latest releases are pretty uninspiring in the main. Northern Monk Faith, which is one of the best supermarket fridge fillers, was on the 8 x 330ml for £9. Now gone to 4 x 440ml, didnt see a price but I'm guessing £8.

The irony is that Faith at £2 a can would have been brilliant not long ago 😂.
The new Buxton and the Omnipollo lemon meringue are pretty good but I’m glad people are starting to get sick of supermarket craft. :D

It's a gateway. I started on the bottles in asda 4 for a fiver, odd trip to rehills or fenwicks, then centrale and hop Knocker. I'd look at the expensive stuff and shake my head. Now I buy what I fancy.

Interesting to see how places that are bottle shop only do going forward. I'll carry on buying expensive stuff, but not at the level I am now once pubs are open.

Imagine waking up on a Sunday after a matchday and discovering you topped up your 10 pint session with a £9 Vault City sour and £8 Northern Monk collab you'd been waiting to savour 😂😂

Last edited:
330 ml was enough. Tesco latest releases are pretty uninspiring in the main. Northern Monk Faith, which is one of the best supermarket fridge fillers, was on the 8 x 330ml for £9. Now gone to 4 x 440ml, didnt see a price but I'm guessing £8.

As far as I see it, I want fridge fillers from Tesco and I want my quality beers from a bottle shop or brewery. These new deals are perfect in my eyes, they're the beers I can crush and not worry about the cost, while I enjoy the 5er a go cans beforehand.

Tesco have upped the game for non shit beer about 100 notches over the last few years. There are plenty of (valid) arguments that it's terrible for the industry...but it's still class to be able to walk down your local highstreet and pick up beers you would have had to source out at bottle shops a few years ago.

Im pretty much stacked out at the minute & daren’t buy anymore as we need to pack everything up & move out to our Mam’s & Dad’s soon while the house is getting work done. I’m going to have a proper job planning on which beer to pack away properly for up to 2/3 months & what to leave accessible to drink. Problem is can’t really be sitting smashing in 4/5 Impy Stouts on me in-laws settee insisting we watch music documentaries :lol:
Anywhere stock the new Vaux stuff? Fancy trying the session IPA
Go direct to Vaux mate. Buy on their website & pick it up from Monk Street. I really want to get a load of Black Wave in, but can’t for the above reason.
Just seen on Stout Nerds, a Roaster Coaster Float

Tried to post the pic but failed.

Last edited:
Anywhere stock the new Vaux stuff? Fancy trying the session IPA

It's a gateway. I started on the bottles in asda 4 for a fiver, odd trip to rehills or fenwicks, then centrale and hop Knocker. I'd look at the expensive stuff and shake my head. Now I buy what I fancy.

Interesting to see how places that are bottle shop only do going forward. I'll carry on buying expensive stuff, but not at the level I am now once pubs are open.

Imagine waking up on a Sunday after a matchday and discovering you topped up your 10 pint session with a £9 Vault City sour and £8 Northern Monk collab you'd been waiting to savour 😂😂
It’s a good question about bottle shops. Personally, I think they’ll need to diversify into other things to survive. With supermarkets upping their game, breweries delivering direct for prices the bottle shop could never sell for and every bugger having a web shop it’s going to be difficult.

Last edited:
Pressure drop tambourine mountain New England pale ale and beak parade IPA have been best beers this weekend
Had the Beak last weekend and it was spot on. I’ve had a disappointing beer weekend so far...

Pollys QIPA - had one a month or so back and it was great, had another last night and it was rubbish.
Green Duck cask from the pub, rubbish.
Cheshire Brewhouse Amarillo DIPA - rubbish and over carbonated
GlassHouse Live and Direct - looking at untappd I seem to be on my own on thinking it’s awful.
Maltgarden Sour - I don’t even want to think about it!

Been concentrating on emptying a keg of Pentrich which is half decent at least.

Back