Craft Beer

I’ve just been told about Darwin Brewery today. Down next to the river. Not sure how this has passed me by

I haven’t enjoyed any of their recent supermarket efforts, yet the cans and draught they have in their bars are always quality.

Layer Cake and Roaster Coaster. Thought they were awful.
Layer Cake & the chilli one are proper shit. Toaster Coaster is quality thiugh

I recommend the marks and Spencer’s own brand Belgian lager and Czech Pilsner. Brewed in those countries by respected breweries - very good. Although they aren’t particularly cheap.
marksies have some really good beers. i think i've tried most of them and not had a bad one.
just opened a bottle of maxim, not had it for yonks, lovely.

Just had Salt x Paloma Island ‘Shoop!’ that I got from Tesco. Usually like Salts stuff but wasn’t a fan of this one

Have found all of their supermarket gear to be shite.

I've mentioned it on here before but I've drank shit loads of it within the last week. Hammerton's peanut butter stout Crunch is up there with the best around. Love it. Other than N1 (standard but superb pale ale), not sure they do another beer worth mentioning, despite having about 12 beers on tap at all times.

I could sit and drink Brew Dog's Hazy Jane all day. Not as fantastic as some others but can't go wrong for £14 for 12 cans.

Got a selection from Morrisons tonight. Picked up a can of Northern Monk Neapolitan Ice Cream IPA, thought the can felt unusually light and picked up another. Was the same so thought it must have been the design. Then I poured it. Only about 1/3 of a can in there and absolutely flat as water, disgusting.

Gutted, was really looking forward to that one.

marksies have some really good beers. i think i've tried most of them and not had a bad one.
just opened a bottle of maxim, not had it for yonks, lovely.
The Cornish Saison is wonderful. It's hard to get hold of, not available in many stores and not all the time. It's brewed by St Austell, which is my current favourite brewery. Love Proper Job, it's a superb IPA, although its lethal.
Got a selection from Morrisons tonight. Picked up a can of Northern Monk Neapolitan Ice Cream IPA, thought the can felt unusually light and picked up another. Was the same so thought it must have been the design. Then I poured it. Only about 1/3 of a can in there and absolutely flat as water, disgusting.

Gutted, was really looking forward to that one.
This is symptomatic of the very variable quality of small brewery craft beer. A lot of it is great, don't get me wrong, but so much of it is hipster-brewed overpriced bitter cloudy poorly-brewed small cans of unhappiness made in grubby industrial units with second hand equipment by blokes who liked craft beer so much they thought that would automatically translate into the ability to make great beer.

And they're always f***ing 330s!! Boils my piss

Last edited:
depends, is brewdog craft anymore, or is their beer now the mainstream?

Craft beer can be main stream and also mass produced as long as they stick to brewing it traditionally and not using cheap shit like rice instead of malt and or hops or other chemicals to speed up the brewing process (imho)

Lidl British craft beer festival starts tomorrow.

Nothing too flash in there by the looks of it, but it is cheap.
Slightly different selection up here (Scotland). Was in and got a selection today. Had the Barney's Marshmallow milk stout, and the Chokka Blokka Mocha stout. Both nice, the Barney's was nicer than Layer Cake.

Track are doing 15% off all online orders, the code is ‘TIER3’ - highly recommend if you haven’t tried them before, one of my favourite breweries. Sonoma is a modern classic IMO.
Have really enjoyed their podcast they've been doing over lockdown. Some good conversations in there. Few duds as well...

Back