Craft Beer

There’s no comparison in the taste between lager & decent IPAs / stouts. Just done a taste test between a bottle of Mahon & a brew york juice Forsyth & opaque reality milkshake ipa and the lager literally tastes like piss in comparison.

4 x the price mind.

Braybrooke are very good. Not got the hype around Lost and Grounded. My brother said there is no lager he would enjoy. Got him to try a braybrooke and he actually liked it!
I love L&G Keller Pils, find it really easy to drink. Had a Braybrooke cask lager at Nottingham Craft Beer Fest last year and it was absolutely superb, all their beers are good but this was something else.

There’s no comparison in the taste between lager & decent IPAs / stouts. Just done a taste test between a bottle of Mahon & a brew york juice Forsyth & opaque reality milkshake ipa and the lager literally tastes like piss in comparison.

4 x the price mind.
A great lager knocks any pale or IPA into bits like imo.

While this county has a tremendous beer and pub culture, it's criminal that there isn't a single good mainstream lager you can buy all over. It's no wonder why people think lager is shit.

Camden Helles is as close as it comes and it's crap compared to any German or Czech equivalent. I appreciate it's not necessarily our strong point, but it's such a shame that terrible shit like Carling dominates the market.

While this county has a tremendous beer and pub culture, it's criminal that there isn't a single good mainstream lager you can buy all over. It's no wonder why people think lager is shit.

Camden Helles is as close as it comes and it's crap compared to any German or Czech equivalent. I appreciate it's not necessarily our strong point, but it's such a shame that terrible shit like Carling dominates the market.
Most people just want cheap bland shite I suppose.

Lager dominates the market in pubs and most lads drink lager when they go out or certainly used to. It’s a convenient choice if you’re hopping between pubs.

Just bloats me now after a few.

People should have cottoned on when breweries like Carling started serving their lagers as cold as possible through frozen taps to mute the flavour.

Been taken to Leeds on my stag do. Went to a few cracking pubs yesterday and believe we’ll be at some of the taprooms today. Can’t wait.

One of the highlights has been a personalised video from Peter Reid that the lads bought for me :lol:

Been taken to Leeds on my stag do. Went to a few cracking pubs yesterday and believe we’ll be at some of the taprooms today. Can’t wait.

One of the highlights has been a personalised video from Peter Reid that the lads bought for me :lol:
I got a video from Peter Reid for my birthday last year, it’s absolutely class. Can’t believe he does them for other people as well. :cry: :lol:

:cool:
I got a video from Peter Reid for my birthday last year, it’s absolutely class. Can’t believe he does them for other people as well. :cry: :lol:
:lol:

I've never enjoyed Camden Hells. Apparently it's a good example of the helles style so no I've concluded it's just not the style for me. Pilsners I have enjoyed. Braybrooke and also urquell when in Czechia.

Gorgeous looking pub. Surprised theyve got nothing decent on.

I went to Marsden Grotto because I wanted to visit the pub. Ended up with Moretti.

Braybrooke are very good. Not got the hype around Lost and Grounded. My brother said there is no lager he would enjoy. Got him to try a braybrooke and he actually liked it!
The beers they had on were proper shite, real shame. Proper old fashioned boozer though.
The new NEIPA from Vaux is rather good.
Isn’t it just. They’re getting better and better. I like that they still retain that edge of bitterness, instead of going full alcoholic fruit juice.

Last edited:
The beers they had on were proper shite, real shame. Proper old fashioned boozer though.

Isn’t it just. They’re getting better and better. I like that they still retain that edge of bitterness, instead of going full alcoholic fruit juice.

Agreed. Dunno if it's just my taste buds but the Alter Ego has never tasted the same as when I first had it. That's the one I struggle with now that I used to enjoy a lot.

Agreed. Dunno if it's just my taste buds but the Alter Ego has never tasted the same as when I first had it. That's the one I struggle with now that I used to enjoy a lot.

Was that pre Monk Street? I reckon the first Hazy Shade of Citra was the best version. Hoped to get down today to try the new NEIPA but too much going on at the minute sadly.

Back