Craft Beer

Anybody had any stouts from Puhaste before? Never heard of them, Estonian, the same as Põhjala

A good few of them just appeared on Honest Brew. I do the savings club thing, so will be due an order shortly when I’ve got enough to get free delivery.

Very, very interesting. IMO Rock have gone down the toilet since Lion bought them - whether that’s a coincidence I don’t know. They just seem to knock out IPA after IPA that never stick around and their best selling and best tasting beers are from their original beers from circa 2012-2015.
statements like that usually mean job losses.

Very, very interesting. IMO Rock have gone down the toilet since Lion bought them - whether that’s a coincidence I don’t know. They just seem to knock out IPA after IPA that never stick around and their best selling and best tasting beers are from their original beers from circa 2012-2015.
Fourpure got worse as well so I doubt it’s a coincidence.

Both getting sold then. They're both shite so they'll not be a loss to the market, but it's sad for those who will lose jobs from this.

I would have thought there are a few more of these to come. London Fields were dumped by Carlsberg a few weeks ago as well.

statements like that usually mean job losses.
Probably. When Rock got sold it was all about the investment being used to expand but the only expansion they’ve done is into supermarkets. They’ve become almost a minor macro.
Fourpure got worse as well so I doubt it’s a coincidence.
I’m not sure it is either. Remember having some superb beers at their taproom circa 15-16, custard pie, ginspired, rhubarbrella etc. now like I say they seem to have found a formula with IPAs that “works” (from a sales pov) and they just pile em high and sell them expensive (stopclock 3 quid a 440 can in Asda!)
Both getting sold then. They're both shite so they'll not be a loss to the market, but it's sad for those who will lose jobs from this.

I would have thought there are a few more of these to come. London Fields were dumped by Carlsberg a few weeks ago as well.
Glad someone agrees rock has turned to shite..not a popular opinion in craft circles from my experience..

Last edited:
I’m not sure it is either. Remember having some superb beers at their taproom circa 15-16, custard pie, ginspired, rhubarbrella etc. now like I say they seem to have found a formula with IPAs that “works” (from a sales pov) and they just pile em high and sell them expensive (stopclock 3 quid a 440 can in Asda!)
I remember being excited for the cannonball run each year. As soon as they were taken over it was knocked on the head.

I remember being excited for the cannonball run each year. As soon as they were taken over it was knocked on the head.
Yep the quality has defo gone. Went their tap room late last year and it’s stuck in the past. Hasn’t changed a lick since it opened. Like I say the main beers on were all old school ones and they were the ones people were drinking (cannonball, bearded lady, clown juice, high wire, high wire grapefruit etc).

Probably. When Rock got sold it was all about the investment being used to expand but the only expansion they’ve done is into supermarkets. They’ve become almost a minor macro.

Glad someone agrees rock has turned to shite..not a popular opinion in craft circles from my experience..
It happens to every single brewery that is bought out by a macro. They're only interested in the bottom line so ultimately the beer suffers.

They'll also be scaling up production to meet huge contracts for supermarkets. It's not easy to scale up smaller batch beer and retain the exact same flavours, especially if there's financial pressure to cut unit cost down.

Personally I've got no interest in buying a Lion product given the former (?) practices of their parent company: Australian craft beer brewer faces criticism over partnership with Myanmar military

more than likely. I remember when they bought them and like said earlier it was all about investment. I take it none of it materialised? I think I remember the two fellas who owned it and sold it were staying on too. Wonder how that's panned out? Still there??

Agree wholeheartedly about their beers mind. Piss compared to what they used to do.

edit: confirmed. Selling it off.

Last edited:
more than likely. I remember when they bought them and like said earlier it was all about investment. I take it none of it materialised? I think I remember the two fellas who owned it and sold it were staying on too. Wonder how that's panned out? Still there??

Agree wholeheartedly about their beers mind. Piss compared to what they used to do.

edit: confirmed. Selling it off.
It’ll be interesting to see if either of those can salvage their soul and become independent again or if they just get swallowed up by another multinational.

Back