Craft Beer Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like a pint of ale but a few weeks back I had a pint of Hogs Back "TEA"; it was absolutely rank and lifeless. Tasted like a pint of "gone wrong" home brew from a Boots kit yet they charged me £4.

You say no then say they are craft beers (most seem to be IPAs). IPAs generally arent described as real ales.

Exactly. I was answering your question saying non of them are going to be like real ales, which is what you asked; because they aren't, they are different.

You say no then say they are craft beers (most seem to be IPAs). IPAs generally arent described as real ales.

IPAs can definitely be a real ale dependent on how it's made. Craft and real aren't mutually exclusive.

It's just that most of the CAMRA-loving real ale breweries make shite beer.

Tesco has Goose Island IPA - the greatest of them all, think it's 4 for £6

Every now and then aldi gets belters but it's luck of the draw really.

If you want some serious selection take a drive to Reyhills in Jesmond - best selection in the north east unless there's somewhere I dont know about. Looks like a normal corner shop from outside , but through the back is amazing

Goose Island IPA is far too carbonated, not that good imo. They have a beer called a 312 urban wheat beer or something though that is great, though I might be biased because I got a load of it free at a promo event.

Whilst we're at it I think Sierra Nevada is rank average as well, I don't understand how that has become popular.

Goose Island IPA is far too carbonated, not that good imo. They have a beer called a 312 urban wheat beer or something though that is great, though I might be biased because I got a load of it free at a promo event.

Whilst we're at it I think Sierra Nevada is rank average as well, I don't understand how that has become popular.
Their brewery tour is worth it though.

Haven't had some in a while but got a couple of Blue Moon's yesterday. Dunno if it's 'craft ale' but it's lush.

Haven't had some in a while but got a couple of Blue Moon's yesterday. Dunno if it's 'craft ale' but it's lush.
It's ok like. Bit wank when a pub hoy a lump of orange in ya pint of it though. Arseholes.

Sort of a controversial area. Blue Moon is owned by a division of MillerCoors which brands its beers as 'craft'. However, in the USA I believe craft beer is actually defined by the size of the company that makes it and their total output of beer.

They've been sued for marketing as 'Craft' because obviously MillerCoors is not some niche, small brewhouse. It's one of the biggest brewers in the world. IIRC they also don't label their bottles/pump clips with 'MillerCoors' so it's a bit misleading.

It's better without the orange, anarl.

Lowest common denominator. File alongside Brooklyn and Goose Island for me. Better option than Fosters or most half-arsed, CAMRA approved real ales though.

Their Torpedo is the best of the 'commonly available' crafts, though.

My new favourite pub is The Prince just off Church Street. 5 points pale, Beavertown Neck Oil, Gamma Ray, Bloody 'ell, Four Pure and Kernell all on draught, with three other craft guest beers. The only 'mass produced' beer they have is Guinness. Not sure outside of London but provided you do a bit of research there are plenty of pubs that only serve decent beer. The Cock on Mare Street and Mother Kelly's in Bethnal Green also worth a visit if you're East. All served in pints too :D

Think this would become my favourite pub aswell mate with that selection

Yeah I'd rather pay a bit more for quality. Can you recommend any good craft beers that are sold in supermarkets? I don't often get the chance to go to the festivals.

Morrisons have Brewdog Elvis Juice on at the min along with crafty dan 13 guns, EJ being my favourite.
tesco have been doing all the Vocation ales which are quality .
Marks and spencers have the vocation in aswell

Tesco has Goose Island IPA - the greatest of them all, think it's 4 for £6

Every now and then aldi gets belters but it's luck of the draw really.

If you want some serious selection take a drive to Reyhills in Jesmond - best selection in the north east unless there's somewhere I dont know about. Looks like a normal corner shop from outside , but through the back is amazing

Love Rehills me like, often pop through

Anywhere in Sunderland stock the Wylam gear???

Last edited:
Think this would become my favourite pub aswell mate with that selection

Morrisons have Brewdog Elvis Juice on at the min along with crafty dan 13 guns, EJ being my favourite.
tesco have been doing all the Vocation ales which are quality .
Marks and spencers have the vocation in aswell

Love Rehills me like, often pop through

Anywhere in Sunderland stock the Wylam gear???
best bet would be from behind a bar somewhere, like a gift pack. think the isis do them, a 4 bottle box.

dont they sell Wylam in the supermarkets like? i never buy real ale but thought it was pretty widely available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back