Cracked rib

f***ing knacks for ages... oh aye and don’t cough or sneeze, feels like some one has stamped on your rib cage

Norranawful lot, been there before and would not in any rush go back. Tough it out for a few weeks, sleeping going to be a knacker, did find it easier on my back.

any recovery/rehab tips for a cracked rib?

5 days after and its still absolutely knacking! Sneezing is an absolute dream at the moment.....
I cracked a rib sneezing. I was on holiday chilling round the pool, violently sneezed, felt it pop then spent the next 10 minutes walking around like Groucho Marx gasping for breath. f***ing knacked, nah the next couple of weeks are going to be shit so get the whiskey in to dull the pain 👍

Tramadol, the pain gets worse for the first week or so then starts to ease, don't catch a cold and try to sleep on your back in a position where you wont move around much.

Do everything you can not to re-break it while it's healing, I did that to one and its never been right since, it was 18 months ago and still hurts sometimes.

5 days after and its still absolutely knacking! Sneezing is an absolute dream at the moment.....
Physio as soon as , stop the intercostal muscles going into spasm which causes a lot of the pain . Hurts like a bastard mind when they lift you off the floor in a full Nelson to stretch it out then do cross friction on it .
When mine went I also slightly moved a vertebrae. You could actually hear and feel it drop back right when the tension was physiod out. Enjoy it's worth it.

7 weeks since did mine and still have discomfort when stretching lifting etc...came off bike on wet descent from blea tarn in langdale and landed on handlebars....lost a fair bit weight and stopped drinking in lockdown, since my fall I've been drinking for pain relief and work stress and put half of my loss back on

done it twice once an elbow playing footy and the other falling down bare wood stairs. Everything you do moving, breathing, sleeping etc hurts for a canny bit

Pain killers, rest and patience are the basics. Only done it once. I slipped on a small humpbacked bridge on York University's campus whilst a) it was very, very icy and b) I was somewhat inebriated and landed chest on bridge hump. Didn't notice the pain until the next day but noticed it for a good few days afterwards.

7 weeks since did mine and still have discomfort when stretching lifting etc...came off bike on wet descent from blea tarn in langdale and landed on handlebars....lost a fair bit weight and stopped drinking in lockdown, since my fall I've been drinking for pain relief and work stress and put half of my loss back on
Chin up mate 👍🏻

Sympathies mate, did mine falling over the couch while pissed arse end of February.

Like you've been told, try and force a deep breathing and a good cough at least once a day, it knacks like fuck, but you do not want pnuemonia.

Nowt you can do other than take pain relief. Did mine about 5 weeks ago, was still knacking nearly 3 weeks later, finally the pain started to go away then stupid Arse me tried lifting a big roll of carpet and I felt it pop. Warra knacker!!

1 week since it happened. Can now sneeze without excruciating pain.

Starting to be able to get deeper beatnsmore frequently too.

The pain is muscular as well as on the rib this time!

1 week since it happened. Can now sneeze without excruciating pain.

Starting to be able to get deeper beatnsmore frequently too.

The pain is muscular as well as on the rib this time!
Told you. Get physio if you can , will massively cut recovery time . Not the ossification of the bone of course but just the general way your thorax operates will be a lot easier

Couple winters ago I slipped in the back of the van and landed sideways on top of my big metal tool chest/safe thingy. Never lost my breath so badly before, was awful. The pain that followed was the worst I've ever been through. Was weeks before it went. Had a bad cold at the time aswell so was sneezing constantly. I got tramadol off my neighbour just so I could sleep.
Thats always been my marker for pain.
I've had my right hand almost severed, broke bones, currently got a fractured cheek bone and sore nose. Nowt compares to that day.

Back