Covid Weekly Deaths lowest since mid march (ONS)

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
Thats like saying England has done well because it's pretty much same rates as Scotland and Wales without comparing us to comparable countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany.
Hang on, why are a selection of Nordic countries not comparable but western European counties are?

England has a significantly higher crude mortality rate than other parts of the UK btw.

Considering most of Swedens deaths were caused my mistakes in care home sector which they have admitted.
What proportion of Sweden's deaths were in care homes? I'm curious.

The England figures the ONS put out today have 30% of covid deaths occuring in care homes (I imagine some care home residents will have died in hospital too bumping it up further, but fuck knows how many).

If we're going to accept your comment about Swedish care homes I don't think it's unreasonable to say about a third of England's deaths were caused by mistakes in care homes too.

That's correct and while it might seem logical to compare countries who are neighbours, there are flaws in this approach. The early care home deaths (which lockdown wouldn't have prevented) and the fact that Stockholm has a population density similar to London are two strong examples.

Spain had it terrible, Portugal didn't. Italy was also hit hard, Switzerland wasn't. Belgium had the worst deaths per population percentage in Europe (ignoring the tiny San Marino), whereas Germany did remarkably well. It's a very complex situation with a myriad of reasons and explanations, I don't think we can cherrypick individual countries for direct comparison regardless of their geographical location.

The fact remains that they had a very relaxed lockdown yet are recording very few deaths now.
Plus kids didn't lose out on education, their health service continued, and unlike here no additional thousands of deaths caused by having a 'lockdown' like here and other countries. Sadly here we had a non existent strategy to deal with it. We had media hysteria and government hysteria which treat us all as kids. Everything was kneejerk . I doubt a Labour government would have been any different as they would have been advised by the same bunch of scientists and faced the same media. Tho a Tony Blair led Labour government would have done much better in my humble oppinion.
Hang on, why are a selection of Nordic countries not comparable but western European counties are?

England has a significantly higher crude mortality rate than other parts of the UK btw.

What proportion of Sweden's deaths were in care homes? I'm curious.

The England figures the ONS put out today have 30% of covid deaths occuring in care homes (I imagine some care home residents will have died in hospital too bumping it up further, but fuck knows how many).

If we're going to accept your comment about Swedish care homes I don't think it's unreasonable to say about a third of England's deaths were caused by mistakes in care homes too.
It looks like close to 50% of Swedish Covid deaths were in care homes. Mainly caused by asymptomatic staff passing it to residents. Just like in the UK I bet another chunk of the Swedish deaths were of people in hospital already who caught the virus while there Eddy Large style. So for not 'locking down' like some countries they probably only had a couple of thousand deaths in the community at large. https://www.thelocal.se/20200707/swedish-healthcare-watchdog-report-care-homes-coronavirus

Last edited by a moderator:
N
Thats like saying England has done well because it's pretty much same rates as Scotland and Wales without comparing us to comparable countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany. Considering most of Swedens deaths were caused my mistakes in care home sector which they have admitted.
No it’s like comparing Sweden with similar countries to Sweden.

An interesting read, for those who might be interested.

An interesting read, for those who might be interested.

Deserves its own thread. If it had its own thread I'd expect any advocates of this article would immediately get shouted down as being 'selfish' or 'thick'.

... and people STILL think that tighter restrictions will bring about a quicker return to normality.

The 78 deaths were really something else and they lied because [reasons that make sense to a dribbler]
Some of the Covid Propaganda going around amazes me.

Numbers continue to grow: positive tests, amount of people needing hospital care, number on ventilators. Deaths will almost certainly follow in the next 2 or 3 weeks as all these selfish twats who got themselves infected invariably pass it onto others who can’t shake it off so easy.

But theres always some cover story “ahh but how many would have died anyway?”, “ah but how many were already terminally ill”, “ah but they put covid on the death certificate but they really died in a car accident”

Weird weird antics.

Deserves its own thread. If it had its own thread I'd expect any advocates of this article would immediately get shouted down as being 'selfish' or 'thick'.

... and people STILL think that tighter restrictions will bring about a quicker return to normality.
I agree 100% and I also agreed with their stance when the situation was at it's peak. The chickens will be coming home to roost soon and their decision making will inevitably prove the best approach. All the mask advocates will have to reluctantly admit they were wrong too eventually.

Numbers continue to grow: positive tests, amount of people needing hospital care, number on ventilators. Deaths will almost certainly follow in the next 2 or 3 weeks as all these selfish twats who got themselves infected invariably pass it onto others who can’t shake it off so easy.

But theres always some cover story “ahh but how many would have died anyway?”, “ah but how many were already terminally ill”, “ah but they put covid on the death certificate but they really died in a car accident”

Weird weird antics.
Try removing your head from the idiot box and you (and the extremely large majority of everyone else) will be fine too.

Last edited:

You may well be right about the possibility of deaths following in a couple of weeks, but 'almost certainly'? Would you put your house on it? I wouldn't. In almost every country in the world the second wave of cases has not seen a second wave of deaths following afterwards.

Don't forget we were told that deaths would 'almost certainly follow in a couple of weeks' when the pubs, restaurants and hairdressers reopened 10 weeks ago. They also said it when people were allowed to go to the beach and parks over 3 months ago. And also when over 200,000 people took part in the George Floyd BLM protests back in early June, packed in like sardines snarling and spitting over each other.

All in all, it's looking more and more likely every passing day that this virus is nowhere near as deadly or contagious as originally thought. Yes it hit the world hard in the early months of the year but as we know, the vast majority of deaths were of people who were either very old, had underlying health conditions (often several) or, in most cases, both. We weren't prepared (I'm not blaming the government here as Covid-19 almost certainly arrived here late last year) and by the time we acted the damage was done. Why are hardly any old vunerable people dying now? We were seeing over 1,000 deaths a day a few months ago. The UK daily death toll has been just a dozen or fewer nearly every day for the past 6 weeks (not that you'd know mind as the media has all but stopped mentioning them). There are still shit loads of old people walking around the shops and drinking in pubs and eating in restaurants and have been for months now.

Last edited:

Hmmm

However there is always a new batch every year around now till mid spring... May also a big number who managed to evade it last year
Perhaps but I just think that covid 19 has weakened now and a combination of behaviour and potential drugs means I feel we are over the worst.

If lockdown flattened our curve (and everyone else's), then what flattened Sweden's? And why are cases rising in most countries but in Sweden they are in freefall? Surely if this virus is so contagious and deadly then non-lockdown Sweden should be ravaged by it?

Logon or register to see this image

For the past seven days it has recorded no deaths.

Only 1.2 per cent of Sweden's 120,000 tests last week came back positive according to their national health agency, reports The Guardian.

The country's rate of new cases is 22.2 for every 100,000 inhabitants.

This is compared to 279 in Spain, 158.5 in France, 118 in the Czech Republic, 77 in Belgium and 59 in the UK.

All those countries imposed lockdowns in the grips of the pandemic in March.

Last edited:

Back