Covid Weekly Deaths lowest since mid march (ONS)

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
Read it again. I said harsh as it sounds. I am genuine in that. If you dont like it fine but pack it in with the abuse.

Saying "as harsh as it sounds" doesn't excuse it though, it's as daft as saying "I'm not being funny but...". Fair enough, you may not have been being a bellend but I'd say it's pretty silly to suggest that there won't be one single more death.

Saying "as harsh as it sounds" doesn't excuse it though, it's as daft as saying "I'm not being funny but...". Fair enough, you may not have been being a bellend but I'd say it's pretty silly to suggest that there won't be one single more death.
And you can point out where I said there will be no more deaths?

Haven't been tracking it but how are Sweden getting on? Didn't they basically do nothing to prevent the spread?

Experts warned that if they carried on without a lockdown they'd have around 100,000 deaths by July. They ignored this advice and their current covid-19 death tally is just 5,851 and their economy is now in a far healthier position than many other countries.

Ah sorry, because you used the word probably it means you get away with it when you're wrong, my mistake.
Yes, exactly that.
Do you think that from this point another 41000 will die? I dont. I believe it will be a tiny fraction of that. I believe it has done its worst now and herd immunity and public behaviour will mean its severity will be reduced enormously.

Experts warned that if they carried on without a lockdown they'd have around 100,000 deaths by July. They ignored this advice and their current covid-19 death tally is just 5,851 and their economy is now in a far healthier position than many other countries.

Aye had a quick look after I mentioned it, 0 cases in the last week and 0 patients in ICU. Great work, hope they can keep it up.

Haven't been tracking it but how are Sweden getting on? Didn't they basically do nothing to prevent the spread?
Amongst the Nordic countries they have had 578 deaths per 100,000, Denmark 109, Finland 61 and Norway 59. So on that basic they have done very poorly.

Yes, exactly that.
Do you think that from this point another 41000 will die? I dont. I believe it will be a tiny fraction of that. I believe it has done its worst now and herd immunity and public behaviour will mean its severity will be reduced enormously.

I honestly don't know. It's definitely encouraging that most people are being treated well and recovering. My honest opinion is that even if cases do go up the number of deaths will remain around the same or barely increase.

Yup, the data I've seen has loads of under 40s getting it, obviously the mortality rate is low

It's only really ramped up over the last couple of weeks though, I expect an increase in deaths over the next couple of weeks personally.
Have hospital admissions been rising? That would be an early warning of deaths to follow.
Have hospital admissions been rising? That would be an early warning of deaths to follow.
I see they have. Not good, think we're right just to try and nip it in the bud.

Last edited:
How have they reached a stage where there are no new cases in recent days? And zero/very few ICU patients?

Maybe everyone has already been exposed to the virus and either got it or didn’t. If not many people are getting the virus then they won’t be many going into icu or dying.

Then there’s the social factors of living more widespread than other countries, being healthier than other countries etc.

Maybe everyone has already been exposed to the virus and either got it or didn’t. If not many people are getting the virus then they won’t be many going into icu or dying.

Then there’s the social factors of living more widespread than other countries, being healthier than other countries etc.

So essentially herd immunity has possibly been reached in Sweden. Seems like a good achievement before the start of winter.

Amongst the Nordic countries they have had 578 deaths per 100,000, Denmark 109, Finland 61 and Norway 59. So on that basic they have done very poorly.
Thats like saying England has done well because it's pretty much same rates as Scotland and Wales without comparing us to comparable countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany. Considering most of Swedens deaths were caused my mistakes in care home sector which they have admitted.

971 in hospital
116 on ventilators

Chicken feed given some of the numbers in March / April.

It sounds like the virus has either mutated and weakened or the additional steps are working like masks in shops etc which is good news.

We need to continue to shield the weak and the elderly and try and get everyone else back to work where they can.

Yes the cases are going up but those figures of people in hospital aren't too bad considering the rise in cases. Let it work its way through the young and the healthy while making sure those at risk are protected.

The crazy thing is one of the best things the government could've done was just give everyone free vitamin D tablets. High doses of the stuff has been proven to help reduce the effectiveness of COVID

Chicken feed given some of the numbers in March / April.

It sounds like the virus has either mutated and weakened or the additional steps are working like masks in shops etc which is good news.

We need to continue to shield the weak and the elderly and try and get everyone else back to work where they can.

Yes the cases are going up but those figures of people in hospital aren't too bad considering the rise in cases. Let it work its way through the young and the healthy while making sure those at risk are protected.

The crazy thing is one of the best things the government could've done was just give everyone free vitamin D tablets. High doses of the stuff has been proven to help reduce the effectiveness of COVID

Admissions have gone up in England by over 300 in a week

Thats like saying England has done well because it's pretty much same rates as Scotland and Wales without comparing us to comparable countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany. Considering most of Swedens deaths were caused my mistakes in care home sector which they have admitted.

That's correct and while it might seem logical to compare countries who are neighbours, there are flaws in this approach. The early care home deaths (which lockdown wouldn't have prevented) and the fact that Stockholm has a population density similar to London are two strong examples.

Spain had it terrible, Portugal didn't. Italy was also hit hard, Switzerland wasn't. Belgium had the worst deaths per population percentage in Europe (ignoring the tiny San Marino), whereas Germany did remarkably well. It's a very complex situation with a myriad of reasons and explanations, I don't think we can cherrypick individual countries for direct comparison regardless of their geographical location.

The fact remains that they had a very relaxed lockdown yet are recording very few deaths now.

Back