Covid jab to become mandatory for care home staff

In an ideal world I’d say yes, but care homes struggle massively to recruit and the potential for staff shortages is a concern because is it staff not vaccinated or staff shortages that cause the greatest risk.

In short I’ve spelks in me arse from sitting on the fence about this

Personally think it’s a good idea, but agree with most of what has been said regarding recruitment, staff retention and wages means enforcing this could create more problems..

Can a vaccinated care worker refuse to care for an unvaccinated resident?

my mother worked in care all of her working life and her biggest frustration was not being able to keep hold of quality staff.

I’m with spelky arse further up the thread on this like.. firmly on the fence..

my body my choice , i hope anyone losing jobs sues their asses off for unfair dismissal and wins bigly

You can do what you want if your body but when it becomes a risk to other people then employers have a duty to minimise the dangers to others. They would be opening themselves up to prosecution if they didn't.

Would you prefer your granny to be looked after by someone who was vaccinated or someone who are refused it?

What about duty of care to the employee?

If a resident has not been vaccinated will the employee then be able to refuse to care for that person? Will that vaccinated employee be held liable if they somehow pass Covid to an unvaccinated resident who dies of it?

At the moment employers can't insist on vaccination as they would probably be breaking the employment law but by the government making it legal the employers can use that as an reason to take action against employees who refuse the vaccination. That does not mean that everyone who refuses the vaccination would be immediately sacked as they would just have to go through the disciplinary procedures the same as for any dispute.

There is a clear risk of unfair dismissal and discrimination claims being pursued, particularly if redeployment isn't a workable option. It will be interesting to see if the government legislates to remove the rights of employees to pursue claims against their employers in these circumstances, be breaking new ground there but now we have done brexit these sorts of avenues are open I guess. 16 weeks to get jabbed or face dismissal, not read the thread but presumably frontline health people have mandatory jabs for Hep and Flu etc anyway?

Wonder how the Government are going to plug the huge gaps in recruitment this will cause in care homes.

Maybe they'll force those on benefits to volunteer or get those disabled people who they threw on the scrapheap a few years ago to do it.

As usual an ill thought out idea that will cause more problems than it will solve.

Last edited:
Gates?? You are obviously an anti vaxxer and conspiracy nut. Onto ignore you go
You're obviously a brainwashed sheep. Three weeks to flatten curve! 😂

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I'm against THIS unlicensed experimental vaccine.

Gates has made billions from the plandemic.

That gain has been as a result of the workings of the market and he has given a substantial part of it to support the fight against covid. Is that not right?
Haha fight against Covid, he's funds the dodgy scientists that forced unscientific lockdowns that will kill more than Covid, namely Whitty and Ferguson. He invested in vaccines to make money haha. That's part of the reason Covid has been exaggerated so much.

Haha fight against Covid, he's funds the dodgy scientists that forced unscientific lockdowns that will kill more than Covid, namely Whitty and Ferguson. He invested in vaccines to make money haha. That's part of the reason Covid has been exaggerated so much.
But surely that is as much of a conspiracy theory as that which you suggest onthe other side of the argument. The reality is that none of us can be sure of the truth?

Back