Covid jab to become mandatory for care home staff

Good idea to protect the most vulnerable or authoritarian?

I'm a bit uneasy the government mandating it for care home staff to be honest.
I'd be more open to the idea for NHS staff, being a public service.
Not going to debate the rights/wrongs of it, but it would be interesting to see how many anti vaxers change their point of view if their jobs are on the line.

Mandatory means that the NHS would be required by law to vaccinate all staff but that doesn't mean all staff would by law have to agree to be vaccinated.

If they are caring for the vulnerable then yes, it should be mandatory (if they wish to stay employed in that role), they should be doing for themselves as well if anything, but that’s another argument. Ask yourself this, would you like these unvaccinated people caring for your parents / grandparents?

If they are caring for the vulnerable then yes, it should be mandatory (if they wish to stay employed in that role), they should be doing for themselves as well if anything, but that’s another argument. Ask yourself this, would you like these unvaccinated people caring for your parents / grandparents?
So long as my parents were vaccinated I wouldn’t care to be honest. It’s not up to me to decide if someone else takes a vaccine, and nor should it be tbh.

They're looking after extremely vulnerable people. I have no problem with this as the residents need to be protected. If they can have a jab but refuse to have it, it's fair to say they are now a risk to the people they are caring for and they need to find another job.

Even though I have much disdain for vaccine refusers, I'd be uneasy about forcing existing staff. But fully in favour of it being a condition of the job for future applicants
Maybe we could try more carrot less stick. £200 bonus for care staff who get jabbed maybe.
They're looking after extremely vulnerable people. I have no problem with this as the residents need to be protected. If they can have a jab but refuse to have it, it's fair to say they are now a risk to the people they are caring for and they need to find another job.
Would you extend it to residents?

Maybe we could try more carrot less stick. £200 bonus for care staff who get jabbed maybe.

Would you extend it to residents?

Yes. My neighbour works in a care home. They sent a bloke back from hospital with covid saying he could be contained in his room but it still spread through the residents and staff members. She was really ill with it - 50's with no underlying conditions.

Yes. My neighbour works in a care home. They sent a bloke back from hospital with covid saying he could be contained in his room but it still spread through the residents and staff members. She was really ill with it - 50's with no underlying conditions.
Where would we put residents who refuse the jab?

Last edited:
Even though I have much disdain for vaccine refusers, I'd be uneasy about forcing existing staff. But fully in favour of it being a condition of the job for future applicants
I'd go along with that.
Not sure what the rate of uptake is now, but it was quite low.
I think the issue (again) comes from funding and pay. I've been in every care and nursing home in Sunderland and South Tyneside and met some amazingly caring and compassionate people but when you ask why they do what they do, many can't explain, they don't understand the theories behind what they do but they're very good at their job. They don't understand germ theory, vaccinations and that’s going to impact on uptake.
Better local authority funding would enable more training and basic pay above National Minimum wage would entice more applicants.
The care industry is on its knees and it was before COVID. South Tyneside has had another restructuring, community care packages can’t be filled and care homes are under staffed. This could make it even worse.

Last edited:
I haven't thought out that bit yet 😊
Every solution to a covid problem seems to create another problem.
That's why I'm not sure forcing staff to have the jab is a good idea.
As I said in a previous post, pay them to have it.
I'd go along with that.
Not sure what the rate of uptake is now, but it was quite low.
I think the issue (again) comes from funding and pay. I've been in every care and nursing home in Sunderland and South Tyneside and met some amazingly caring and compassionate people but when you ask why they do what they do, many can't explain, they don't understand the theories behind what they do but they're very good at their job. They don't understand germ theory, vaccinations and that’s going to impact on uptake.
Better local authority funding would enable more training and basic pay above National Minimum wage would entice more applicants.
The care industry is on its knees and it was before COVID. South Tyneside has had another restructuring, community care packages can’t be filled and care homes are under staffed. This could make it even worse.
Yip, telling staff their job is so important they must be jabbed while paying them shit wages is gonna piss them off.

Last edited:
There are other jabs that frontline NHS staff must get, I think anyway, so this is no different. If you want to work in close personal distance of vulnerable people then it is only reasonable that you take precautions to protect those you are caring for. If you are not willing to do that you are in the wrong job.

Back