COVID-19: Those earning above £19.5k should pay more tax after pandemic to help fix UK finances, says think-tank

Do it in line with current tax rates.
1% increase in the 20% bracket.
2% increase in the 40% bracket

Or even better have the government stop wasting money on private contracts to their mates. Close tax avoidance loopholes, both big organisations and self employed/contractors.

Some of these big tax dodging companies should be chased too.
This is what annoys me.

Rumours are that corporation tax will go up to 25% so I either have to suck up the loss or possibly increase my prices next year to balance it.

Either way, I'll will pay my tax as expected. Some of the bigger companies will not pay their way.

Bloody pisses me off.

.Believe we should all share the burden and deffo.come down on the so called elite who pay fortunes to stop paying taxes . All pay our share ,we are getting the benefits of this disaster .

Last edited:
This is what annoys me.

Rumours are that corporation tax will go up to 25% so I either have to suck up the loss or possibly increase my prices next year to balance it.

Either way, I'll will pay my tax as expected. Some of the bigger companies will not pay their way.

Bloody pisses me off.
I think Rishi has to be very careful here. An increase in corporation tax on top of covid on top of Brexit could be fatal to many small businesses. Many of them need a boost in some form - coming out of not trading for a year off and on, employees with backdated annual leave built up, the ones that do make a profit this year could do without being taxed more on it.

Amazon, on the other hand...

I think Rishi has to be very careful here. An increase in corporation tax on top of covid on top of Brexit could be fatal to many small businesses. Many of them need a boost in some form - coming out of not trading for a year off and on, employees with backdated annual leave built up, the ones that do make a profit this year could do without being taxed more on it.

Amazon, on the other hand...
I personally think that there should be different rates.

Can't see how it's fair that a small business who says brings in 40k a year pays the same as amazon who brings in 56 zillion or something.

I know it's all relative but just don't seem fair. Even more so when the small business pays their 19% and amazon pay a fiver.

50% of full time workers in the NE earn £27k or less. For one of the poorest regions in the country, this forum has a remarkably vocal contingent of higher rate taxpayers upset about being penalised.
Just because you live in Sunderland doesn't mean your job is in Sunderland. I work from home for a London based company for example, earning a lot more than the quoted above.

Quite a few of my mates are the same, whether they be in sales, financial management, consulting etc.

Not every f***** in Sunderland works in a factory or call centre you know.
Because a flat rate of tax is disproportionately unfair on lower incomes.
Do you not think the people who actually used the scheme should pay it back, albeit at a very long and low rate.

I'm too busy paying for peoples benefits, motability cars etc

Last edited:
Just because you live in Sunderland doesn't mean your job is in Sunderland. I work from home for a London based company for example, earning a lot more than the quoted above.

Quite a few of my mates are the same, whether they be in sales, financial management, consulting etc.

Do you not think the people who actually used the scheme should pay it back, albeit at a very long and low rate.

That median figure is based on where you live, not where you work.

Either way according to the 2011 Census, 67% of employed people living in Sunderland were employed in Sunderland, and 97% of employed people living in Sunderland were employed somewhere in the North East.

That’s the Sunderland local authority area, not just the city itself.

I am completely perplexed by the anger in your response.

Not necessarily. I think furlough has been a benefit to the entire economy so it shouldn’t be something that only certain people shoulder. I’lol benefit indirectly from the furlough scheme, so I should probably pay for it through my taxes.

Do you mean employees? They didn't choose to be furloughed, and in a lot of cases them going on it has saved other peoples jobs who have worked through this. Ridiculous to make them pay for it, it was a cost to society and we should all cover it.

I know a couple in Suffolk that pretend to be furloughed on Saturday nights to spice up their sex lives. They pretend to be from “the north” and shout at each other in faux, generic, heavy accents whilst drinking gallons of carling and eating cheap takeaways.

I know a couple in Suffolk that pretend to be furloughed on Saturday nights to spice up their sex lives. They pretend to be from “the north” and shout at each other in faux, generic, heavy accents whilst drinking gallons of carling and eating cheap takeaways.

I presume this was funny in your head before you typed it?

Because a flat rate of tax is disproportionately unfair on lower incomes.

They've done that here to a certain extent, cut income tax for anyone earning less than 60k GBP by 6% to 15% under the premise people will have more cash in their hands so start spending to kick start the economy. Problem is the low earners are getting next to nowt out of it

Back