Covid-19 adapted gameplay in local cricket

The Herts league has already voted on the league format should it restart and they have voted for no relegation in the 2020 season should it restart, there was a league club that voted for no cricket at all! A season of friendlies seems on the cards

The Herts league has already voted on the league format should it restart and they have voted for no relegation in the 2020 season should it restart, there was a league club that voted for no cricket at all! A season of friendlies seems on the cards
Did they give a reason why? Seems a strange thing why any club wouldn't want to get some sort of cricket played this summer

Did they give a reason why? Seems a strange thing why any club wouldn't want to get some sort of cricket played this summer

The cost involved in hostinga game shouldn't be underestimated. I believe a few NEPL clubs do not want any cricket this year. The cost of a match ball and two umpires is north of £100. Most clubs struggle in winter as it is and now with no income throughout Summer they just wont be in a position to incur the costs of games.

No we thought the same too a very strange one unless they mothballed the clubhouse and ground for a year as they didn't have what they needed to get everything ready fo this year. We are lucky at my club as we only need to prepare a track to get started so we could do that in 10 to 14 days as we have been doing what we normally do during lockdown and have prepared the square as normal

I think it is very poor. No league could play 8-a-side surely. A batsman can score runs a lot easier and the bowlers will struggle to get wickets. Forget it and start again next year. You cannot open the clubhouse. League cricket when the game is over is about the social side.

I think it is very poor. No league could play 8-a-side surely. A batsman can score runs a lot easier and the bowlers will struggle to get wickets. Forget it and start again next year. You cannot open the clubhouse. League cricket when the game is over is about the social side.

Who’s suggesting 8 a side? 😳

The majority I know want to play, even if it’s friendlies with adaptations in place. Where I have sympathy is clubs with small squads who have lads who don’t want to take the health risk. They shouldn’t be punished or pressured.

I don’t really get shortening the games though. If I’m going to catch something in a 45 over game I’m still going to catch it in a 35 over game surely.

Who’s suggesting 8 a side? 😳

The majority I know want to play, even if it’s friendlies with adaptations in place. Where I have sympathy is clubs with small squads who have lads who don’t want to take the health risk. They shouldn’t be punished or pressured.

I don’t really get shortening the games though. If I’m going to catch something in a 45 over game I’m still going to catch it in a 35 over game surely.

Sorry I thought that is what they had said. Where have I read that then? I agree about the shortening of games.

The cost involved in hostinga game shouldn't be underestimated. I believe a few NEPL clubs do not want any cricket this year. The cost of a match ball and two umpires is north of £100. Most clubs struggle in winter as it is and now with no income throughout Summer they just wont be in a position to incur the costs of games.
I suppose any clubs paying players without any income coming in aswel will be a bit of a burden

The League I umpire in has published plans to start on the 4th July. There are adjustments if delayed for 2 /3 weeks and then a knockout if a league programme cannot be played. It is based on 11 game season. All clubs playing each other once.

Back