Couple denied entry to Switzerland

Done this. There should be another symbolic gesture on offer after all a handshake is just a contrived social meaning. As long as both sides make meaning another mutually agreed gesture is easily used. Unless its not about that like

Logon or register to see this image

I think we should do away with hand shakes, replace it with something like this . . . call it the 'brownies' salute?

I work in a job where I meet new clients daily. I never offer to shake any of their hands but will shake hands if offered. Besides it's a bit grubby, and a well know source for spread of contagious illnesses

Last edited:

I think we should do away with hand shakes, replace it with something like this . . . call it the 'brownies' salute?

I work in a job where I meet new clients daily. I never offer to shake any of their hands but will shake hands if offered. Besides it's a bit grubby, and a well know source for spread of contagious illnesses
Canny idea, mind I was more thinking of this instead.

That's how I caught aids, I shook someones hand then had a packet of crisps.

Oh dear. The problem is if a man and a woman shake hands in Islam, they are agreeing to have sex. It's a common way of prostitutes identifying themselves and many Muslims (not just the nutters) won't shake hands with members of the opposite sex.

Did the people concerned explain this to the Swiss citizenship authorities?
They weren't muslims were they? Jewish I think.

They weren't muslims were they? Jewish I think.
The same rule applies in Judaism. Shaking hands with a member of the opposite sex to whom you are not related is seen as sexual or a precursor to a sexual act.

I don't know if more moderate Jews are as hung up on this rule.

:eek: bit racist like.
I always shake hands with clients

@Repswick, I've just checked the story on the BBC. The couple refused entry to Switzerland over handshaking were Muslim.

But Islam and Judaism have the same rule about shaking hands with the opposite sex.

Aren’t you proud that our society is more tolerant and flexible?

Are you really honestly offended that a person who has been brought up differently to you has different social customs?

I attended a wedding reception in Kuwait City and the male relatives and guest would greet the groom (who I worked with) with a handshake and a kiss on both cheeks.

When it was my turn I shook my marra’s hand and then hesitated. He laughed and just said ‘I guess that you aren’t ready for that part yet’.

People living in these countries really aren’t as fanatical as you think. There will be exceptions and some people have very different ideas about modesty and contact with the opposite sex.

Isn’t it commendable if we’re aware of that and don’t act the **** just because other people cannot be more broad minded?

Well, that’s a skilfully written straw man!

What you describe is not what we’re seeing in the article. You’re painting an innocent picture of what actually is a display of misogyny and the devaluing of the professional women who were interviewing them. Does being a tolerant nation mean we (well, Switzerland) have to let people like that in? They will have families and will pass down their medieval, misogynistic views to their children.

Some things should not be tolerated. There’s no place for their ways in western society, where much work has been done and much progress has been made to ensure women are treated fairly.

Switzerland was kind enough to give them an opportunity to join a progressive society based on equality and liberalism. They screwed it up and demonstrated they aren’t ready to adapt, and in fact did not respect what Swiss nationality stood for. They wanted their little ‘Middle East’ in Switzerland, while cherry picking the things they saw as beneficial to themselves, ie financial opportunities. They gave a clear sign that they would be unlikely to integrate.

Well done the Swiss. They got it right - their borders, their rules.

Well apart from the fact that a) this isn’t all of Islam and b) this is an exact example of people not adapting to Islam, at all, then yes, you’re right.

Eh?

We’re discussing Switzerland having made a seemingly contentious decision to buck the trend of westerners having to tolerate Islam’s less ‘compatible’ views. I’m commending Switzerland and posed a rhetorical question ‘yes, why should we always have to tolerate their medieval views in the west’.

I’ve no idea why you’re being obtuse, it’s perfectly clear what I was saying.

Last edited:

Back