Couple denied entry to Switzerland

I used to work in Italy and the kissing another man on the cheek was weird at first but I got used to it as a cultural thing.

I also used to volunteer as an advisor for asylum seekers here. Women clients would come in with a male relative or friend and I'd put my hand out to shake their hand, not wanting to be disrespectful and look like I was ignoring the woman. 99% of the time there was no problem but sometimes they'd be obviously uncomfortable when shaking my hand, it would be a bit awkward then we'd crackbon with sorting out the issue.

My point is people from different cultures are comfortable with different things and I don't want to make people uncomfortable just for the sake of it. I don't really see why people have to make a big deal out of stuff like this instead of just muddling through as best you can.

You may have a point although I would also suspect there may be some laws of freedom of religion and whatnot, so I’m not sure this is a legal question.

In your opinion.
Freedom of religion is the freedom to pray and preach your religion aslong as it doesn't contradict the secular law. Atleast that is the way it is supposed to be interpreted. If someone goes my religion says I shouldn't respect women unless they are dressed head to toe in a glorified beekeeper outfit. The correct response should be tough shit, welcome to the 21st century.

I’m okay with the handshake, I think. It’s the rest of the bullshit that’s not in the headline that makes a better point actually.
What bullshit is that?

Yeah once the ordeal is over they can #metoo on Twitter :rolleyes:
Yeah, and the poor blokes getting all offended because a woman won't touch them :rolleyes:. As I say I don't see why this is a big deal that people want to make an issue out of and I can't really be bothered to argue about it.

They don't need to. They just don't become Swiss citizens.
That would be where the coercion comes into it.

Freedom of religion is the freedom to pray and preach your religion aslong as it doesn't contradict the secular law. Atleast that is the way it is supposed to be interpreted. If someone goes my religion says I shouldn't respect women unless they are dressed head to toe in a glorified beekeeper outfit. The correct response should be tough shit, welcome to the 21st century.

What bullshit is that?
And I agree with that. But there’s no law in switzerland (I don’t think) that says you have to shake hands with someone. This isn’t a legal issue.

What bullshit is that?
It’s in the link. They wouldn’t answer questions by people of the opposite sex.

They don't need to. They just don't become Swiss citizens.
Exactly.. the whole point is. If it means so much to you that you would rather not touch someone of the opposite sex's hand instead of gaining citizenship. Then you don't value the citizenship and customs of that country enough.

And I agree with that. But there’s no law in switzerland (I don’t think) that says you have to shake hands with someone. This isn’t a legal issue.

It’s in the link. They wouldn’t answer questions by people of the opposite sex.
They obviously have a problem with gender equality. We have a tough enough time getting the knuckledraggers amongst our own populace to bring into the 21st century. Why import further discriminatory behaviour. If the citizenship doesn't mean so much you are unwilling to compromise on some of your beliefs then tough shit imo.

They’ll probably move here now..
Sadly true...

Last edited:
Exactly.. the whole point is. If it means so much to you that you would rather not touch someone of the opposite sex's hand instead of gaining citizenship. Then you don't value the citizenship and customs of that country enough.

They obviously have a problem with gender equality. We have a tough enough time getting the knuckledraggers amongst our own populace to bring into the 21st century. Why import further discriminatory behaviour. If the citizenship doesn't mean so much you are unwilling to compromise on some of your beliefs then tough shit imo.

Sadly true...
Not sure I get the gender equality angle either. Both sexes refused to touch the other sex, so it feels quite equal in that regard.

But the whole not touching - or more importantly to me - not speaking to people of the opposite sex is the weird bit. Nowhere in your book does it say you can’t answer questions from someone who doesn’t have the same genitals as you.

Not sure I get the gender equality angle either. Both sexes refused to touch the other sex, so it feels quite equal in that regard.

But the whole not touching - or more importantly to me - not speaking to people of the opposite sex is the weird bit. Nowhere in your book does it say you can’t answer questions from someone who doesn’t have the same genitals as you.
Ah, but you can't treat them as a unit, you have to treat each individually. And they are both being discriminatory on their own which is the problem.

I agree with your second point though, I guess the engraining of gender imbalances just gets taken to the extreme eventually

Back