County Championship 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

From what I was told Warne is mates with Alec Stewart and spends a lot of time in London. Doubt he would come up here to coach assuming Durham could afford it. Typical Surrey though any problems just throw money at it till it's solved.

IMO Borthwick is now a batsman that bowls a bit but he doesn't seem to see it like that. Looked it up and first CC for Surrey Borthwick bowled 5 overs and didn't take a wicket. Batty bowled 20 overs though. Borthwick is a top cricketer, talented with a great attitude just a pity he was lured away.

tbf it is doubtful if he'd have even got 5 overs for us, maybe he'd be in at the expense of Pringle and got his overs?

f***ing Abbott at it again for Kolpak CC. They've got a right f***ing ringer there with him. Not sure what he gets out of it (apart from money of course) playing for some random no mark county with no chance of ever playing internationally again. Stay and fight for your place in the side you wuss, especially with Steyn and Morkel not getting any younger.

Last edited:
Cracking game at Derby, all four results still possible. Northants need 47 off 10 overs with 4 wickets left.

27 off 5.4 with 3 wickets left.

Last edited:
Great start to the season for Kent played 2 won 2.

After last seasons disappointment at just missing promotion I'm hopeful for this season.

New management team in place with Jason Gillespie filling in until Allan Donald gets his work permit. Hoping the two of them can get the best out of our bowlers.

The comments below Paul Edwards' report on cricinfo are great and PE himself has endored them on twitter. http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2017/content/story/1092957.html

• sonofstan on April 18, 2017, 11:47 GMT

• Agree it is an ECB stitch up but , everything now is geared towards creating an elite. As a Northamptonshire fan (who I believe will be Nottinghamshire's main rivals this year) the fact that we have to play them twice whilst others do not does seem a little contrived maybe......

• devspec on April 18, 2017, 9:57 GMT

Excellent summary from Jackiethepen: nail on the head! The arrogance and remoteness of unaccountable power, as embodied by the ECB, has never been more vividly illustrated. Isn't it overdue that ordinary spectators and followers should have a say in electing cricket's leaders, rather than it being forever messed around by a narrow and self-interested clique of the over-privileged? The ruthless attack on Durham should incense anyone who admires the club's success in widening cricket's appeal. The dignity and stoicism of the club and its supporters in the face of this injustice is remarkable, but the wider cricketing public should be furious - and should get organised to take on the elites who have colonised the game.
  • jackiethepen on April 18, 2017, 8:32 GMT

Nobody can be in any doubt that the ECB's remorseless targeting and punishing of Durham is meant to keep them in the Second Division. They were upstarts and have been duly punished when other clubs continue to acquire even more debt and throw money at every problem they have. This chapter of English cricket history is likely to be its most shameful when dubious monetary values have been coupled with a blimpish sense of hierarchy and self entitlement. The impact of "false news" and smearing by rumour has entered cricket in order to manipulate the outcome. Presumably with the notion that the end (Franchise cricket and loads of money for some) justifies the means. Even then we are told there will be no likely returns in the first season or two. What has been sacrificed is the notion of fair play in cricket. Everyone knows Durham has not been treated fairly. But that doesn't weigh enough in the minds of the rest. Rigging the system is exactly the right description.
  • cricfan74822000 on April 17, 2017, 19:24 GMT

You certainly do not need to be a Durham supporter to be aghast at the penalty considering it not only retroactively rigged season 2016, but also rigs 2017 in advance: there is now a team who should be in division two who are present in division one and vice versa, and there is now a team, that same team who should be in one, who effectively are competing under a gigantic handicap. The whole basic premise of sport should be people competing on something like a level playing field!! You might also cite the Leics thing, punishing the team for the player seems harsh, also. Where will it end? Perhaps soon we will see every county began on ECB determined minus points and the championship will simply become a ''race to 0''?
  • CricketingStargazer on April 17, 2017, 18:39 GMT

One game gone from 14 and Durham's Championship season is effectively over. In the remaining 13 games they would have to make up an average of 7 points per game to overhaul Nottinghamshire. That sanction, combined with a schedule that allows the fixture computer to gives some sides a much harder schedule than others, has made a farce of Division 2. Admittedly Durham needed to win probably 3 of their first 4 games to set up a serious tilt at promotion but, to leave their season all but over after just one game gives them little motivation take risks with players or setting up results.

Excellent article, heartwarming comments but unfortunately I fear that the ECB will get away completely scot-free.

The fight it seems is over, we should've taken them to court - but because we didn't this season will likely be a write off and when we begin next season on 0 points all will be completely forgotten in the eyes of the general cricketing public.

• sonofstan on April 18, 2017, 11:47 GMT

• Agree it is an ECB stitch up but , everything now is geared towards creating an elite. As a Northamptonshire fan (who I believe will be Nottinghamshire's main rivals this year) the fact that we have to play them twice whilst others do not does seem a little contrived maybe......

@Son of Stan

:?::?:

didn't have you down as a northants fan

Who is this imposter? :lol:
Went to watch a game of cricket once as my ex was playing. Hated it. Same sentiments for the ex now too.

Apologies for now dragging the thread down. :lol:

the only possible explanation was deep down you knew the ex was hateworthy and so you transferred this as yet undiscovered emotion towards him [or her] onto our beloved game of cricket.

quite understandable reaction but it is never too late to recognise the folly :lol:

and please don't apologise, it was me derailing it not you ;)

the only possible explanation was deep down you knew the ex was hateworthy and so you transferred this as yet undiscovered emotion towards him [or her] onto our beloved game of cricket.

quite understandable reaction but it is never too late to recognise the folly :lol:

and please don't apologise, it was me derailing it not you ;)
If it's any consolation the fella in my avatar (Stan, son of Stan) was a huge cricket fan. He probably instilled a dislike of cricket in me as a kid when he'd come home from the pub and insist on watching cricket on the telly of a Sunday afternoon... :neutral:
:lol:

If it's any consolation the fella in my avatar (Stan, son of Stan) was a huge cricket fan. He probably instilled a dislike of cricket in me as a kid when he'd come home from the pub and insist on watching cricket on the telly of a Sunday afternoon... :neutral:
:lol:

Stan Stanson? Good solid upstanding name that like.

Sounds like he could have been a decent cricket. assuming he had middle names. Stan S.S. Stanson.

obviously both middle names being stan.

Stan Stanson? Good solid upstanding name that like.

Sounds like he could have been a decent cricket. assuming he had middle names. Stan S.S. Stanson.

obviously both middle names being stan.
You are possibly going to be blackballed from the cricket forum with banter like this. Just a guess. ;):lol:

We're going down with "You Bears"

You've got a batting lineup today that is probably better than that of 3/4 Test teams, yet you've allowed Gareth Berg, with his filthy medium pace to completely decimate you.

It's hugely depressing.

The two sides I hate and who I want to see lose every game (except the one against each other) are somehow in title winning form.

You've got a batting lineup today that is probably better than that of 3/4 Test teams, yet you've allowed Gareth Berg, with his filthy medium pace to completely decimate you.

It's hugely depressing.

The two sides I hate and who I want to see lose every game (except the one against each other) are somehow in title winning form.

2 matches in :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back