Country with the tastiest food

:eek:

I live in Spain and haven't found a dish, yet that I would describe as tasty.

Everything is boring, bland and flavourless.

They don't do spice over here and look at you in bewilderment if you all for guindilla (chilli) added to your dish.

Indian every time, for me.

So many dishes and varieties of curry, rices, breads and tandoor food. Just can't get enough of it.
You might be eating in the wrong places Dodgy. Gazpacho Manchego, Cocido Madrileño, a good Paella, a good chorizo stew, jamón serrano, cheeses, the sea food., there's so much wonderful food. I agree with you about the majority of people not liking spicy food mind.

They don't do spice over here and look at you in bewilderment if you all for guindilla (chilli) added to your dish.

So many dishes and varieties of curry, rices, breads and tandoor food. Just can't get enough of it.

Absolutely mental thing to say.

Where do you live in Spain and what are you eating?

Just as well there's plenty of Indians in Beni.

Just as well there's plenty of Indians in Beni.
I hope the weather's getting better. I'm going there on Sunday for a spot of culture :lol:

There are so many cultures here in America that you can find all kinds of foods just about everywhere and anywhere.

The other day my wife and I were driving around and there was this small stand selling papusas just in the middle of this residential neighborhood. We decided to get some and they were absolutely amazing.
We have similar places here. They're called Greggs :lol:.

Seriously though they sound tasty. I'm going to have a go at making some.

You might be eating in the wrong places Dodgy. Gazpacho Manchego, Cocido Madrileño, a good Paella, a good chorizo stew, jamón serrano, cheeses, the sea food., there's so much wonderful food. I agree with you about the majority of people not liking spicy food mind.
My 7 year old loves Serrano Ham and I'm on to my 3rd half sized one this year.

Chorizo stew is one of my favourite things I cook with a base sauce of tomatoes, onion, garlic and olive oil. Fill it with chorizo, chicken, spinach and chickpeas, flavoured with rosemary, thyme and smoked paprika then topped with fresh parsley :cool:.

Last edited:
Absolutely mental thing to say.

Where do you live in Spain and what are you eating?
I'm in agreement actually. Wouldn't go as far as to say bland but they do miss fresh herbs and spices a lot of the time. The food is not a patch on Asian food (Vietnam, Thailand, India) and it can be difficult at times to get hold of chilis, coriander etc... because they have a tendency to not use a lot of herbs/spices except for the like of perejil (parsley).

The other thing is, when they produce Asian food here (Japanese, Indian, Thai etc... ) it is quite flavourless compared to dishes from the countries or even what is made in the UK.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement actually. Wouldn't go as far as to say bland but they do miss fresh herbs and spices a lot of the time. The food is not a patch on Asian food (Vietnam, Thailand, India) and it can be difficult at times to get hold of chilis, coriander etc... because they have a tendency to not use a lot of herbs/spices except for the like of perejil (parsley).

The other thing is, when they produce Asian food here (Japanese, Indian, Thai etc... ) it is quite flavourless compared to dishes from the countries or even what is made in the UK.

You’ve never had proper Spanish food unfortunately.

Do you live in Benidorm or somewhere else ghastly where they cater for the English?
Oi I'm away there on Sunday for some R&R :lol:

You're right about the cooking though. I've seen loads of dishes with saffron, garlic , oregano etc, while smoked paprika and rosemary are 2 of my favourite ingredients. Its like saying British food is bland when there's no such thing. If that was the case the tomato and onion combo would never exist in any national dish.

Can't say I've been but it's cheapo holiday destination for Brits isn't it? All the cheapest flights to Spain fly into Malaga iirc.

I've been to Madrid, Valencia, Seville, Cordoba, Granada and San Sebastian in the past three years and I've had some of the best food I've had anywhere.
No, it's really not a "cheapo holiday for the Brits". It's the local major city and growing massively in popularity but still very much Spanish. Brits fly to Malaga airport and generally toddle off shortly down the coast to Benalmadena, Torremolinos or Fuengirola. There are a number of "expats" from all over Europe and generally they try to integrate more than the "Brits abroad" scenario you seem to want to paint.

It's a cracking city with some beautiful old buildings, a nice port, beaches, mountains and some good food. That's not to say that I cannot say that their food on the whole lacks something (that I find in Asian style cooking). Read back on my post, I didn't say Spanish cooking was bland but it does miss some spice and other fresh herbs that I like (for me anyway).

No, it's really not a "cheapo holiday for the Brits". It's the local major city and growing massively in popularity but still very much Spanish. Brits fly to Malaga airport and generally toddle off shortly down the coast to Benalmadena, Torremolinos or Fuengirola. There are a number of "expats" from all over Europe and generally they try to integrate more than the "Brits abroad" scenario you seem to want to paint.

It's a cracking city with some beautiful old buildings, a nice port, beaches, mountains and some good food. That's not to say that I cannot say that their food on the whole lacks something (that I find in Asian style cooking). Read back on my post, I didn't say Spanish cooking was bland but it does miss some spice and other fresh herbs that I like (for me anyway).

It sounds like you prefer Asian food to Spanish food. Have you considered relocating to Asia?

Back