Councils been told to identify max vaccination sites

I had my MMR jab yesterday, from walking into the empty GP surgery, it took around 15 minutes (I'd timed it because I had this exact thin in mind). No one was in with the nurse in that time. In fact no-one was in at all. 3 minutes is very optimistic I reckon. For the whole system I mean.

As an aside, I was advised that I may display of symptoms of measles as a reaction to the vaccine, including a rash and / or TEMPERATURE! I literally laughed out loud. The nurse did not.
Took my mother for her flu jab a few weeks ago. It was a pretty warm day so the surgery doors were open. The girl on the door knows my mother so she ushered us in, told my mother to take her coat off and put it on a chair, enter the room next to the chair and sit down. Nurse in the room asked her to roll up her sleeve, bang, done.
Less than a minute and a half and back in the car.
It'll be production line style. You will be pre- briefed about the vaccine before you even leave the house, so you either turn up or don't. No need for pleasantries. In and out. Job done.
It's the care homes that will take a while, as the vaccine will have to be brought to them, rather than the other way around.

Took my mother for her flu jab a few weeks ago. It was a pretty warm day so the surgery doors were open. The girl on the door knows my mother so she ushered us in, told my mother to take her coat off and put it on a chair, enter the room next to the chair and sit down. Nurse in the room asked her to roll up her sleeve, bang, done.
It'll be production line style. You will be pre- briefed about the vaccine before you even leave the house, so you either turn up or don't. No need for pleasantries. In and out. Job done.
It's the care homes that will take a while, as the vaccine will have to be brought to them, rather than the other way around.
That's pretty impressive. Maybe my surgery is just a bit shit. I must say when I had my COVID test it was slick. Use of QR codes very good to speed it along, however with the target audience for the vaccine that's likely to be less useful I'd guess.

Plenty of countries already have vaccination requirements for entry. I would suspect many countries will want to keep COVID out, so when a vaccine is routinely available, it would make sense.

I certainly hope the govt take strong measures to exclude anti-vax people from society.
It’s a tricky one. In ‘52 Jehovas Witnesses became neutral on vaccines (rather than opposed) but lots of traditional families are still against them. Would you exclude them? Or would they be omitted from such strong measures on religious grounds (even if it’s not explicitly part of the religious doctrine).
For me, strong measures to anti-vaxxers still just sets too much of a bad precedent, and signals another relapse in the freedom of choice over your own body (and what goes in it!).

Just did a quick calculation, if every one of the 343 councils had a site capable of 1000 inoculations a day it would take 6 months to cover the whole population.

Each council isn't going to have a single site. Co. Durham is massive & will have 20 or 30. Even in Sunderland there will be at least 4 on in each of the 4 towns

Ours had three lanes set up in reception with a nurse in each one. Someone checked you in and directed you to a lane. You had to take your coat off and get your arm ready while waiting, then stabbed, then move to sort your coat etc., out in the area at the end. Very speedy process. I'd imagine it would be like that if there is mass vaccination.

I'd hope the household members of vulnerable people get it as well. They've done that with the flu vaccine this year.

Just going to be older people and others whose health is compromisd apparently
They should be first really
Plenty of countries already have vaccination requirements for entry. I would suspect many countries will want to keep COVID out, so when a vaccine is routinely available, it would make sense.

I certainly hope the govt take strong measures to exclude anti-vax people from society.

It’s the one area of Covid the government have got right is the work and funding they’ve done on the vaccine to date. Personally in a sea of negativity as present this is something they should be applauded for. Anti Vax people couldn't infect vaxed people And for me they’re entitled to their opinion but I can see them marginalised by society as it’ll start with shops only letting vaxed people in etc.

Last edited:
Each council isn't going to have a single site. Co. Durham is massive & will have 20 or 30. Even in Sunderland there will be at least 4 on in each of the 4 towns

You can have as many stations as you want but take the testing system, for example, which was struggling to do 300,000 tests per day which would take 6 months for the whole population.

I know there was an issue with testing capacity but there is the same issue in reverse for the vaccine which needs to be manufactured, transported and delivered to stations in sterile conditions.

You can have as many stations as you want but take the testing system, for example, which was struggling to do 300,000 tests per day which would take 6 months for the whole population.

I know there was an issue with testing capacity but there is the same issue in reverse for the vaccine which needs to be manufactured, transported and delivered to stations in sterile conditions.
It's already under manufacture. Transport and delivery will be no problem. The vaccination will take a fraction of the Testing time.

The time it takes to administer a vaccine is a fraction of the time it takes to do the test. And you don't need to do the whole population (straight away) as younger people aren't really at risk.
Just get all the over 50's sorted, and can get back to some form of normality

They should be first really

It’s the one area of Covid the government have got right is the work and funding they’ve done on the vaccine to date. Personally in a sea of negativity as present this is something they should be applauded for. Anti Vax people couldn't infect vaxed people And for me they’re entitled to their opinion but I can see them marginalised by society as it’ll start with shops only letting vaxed people in etc.

but since not everyone can be vaccinated due to allergy or immunodeficiency then anti vaxxers can infect those people

I went for my flu jab last week and experienced the same - 90 seconds in and out. Really impressed

but since not everyone can be vaccinated due to allergy or immunodeficiency then anti vaxxers can infect those people
Very good point. I can see health card IDs being rolled out shortly for all immunisations to be shown just like a license for liquor/booze

If we have a vaccine by this time next year I'll bare my arse in Debenhams window.
Mind Debenhams will be in administration by then and most of the rest of the shops shut down. But I'll find a window somewhere to bare it.

The testing is a different situation though as its ill people being tested so the GP clinics were kept out of it where I work and only one site was used.

I do 10 vaccs in a 30 min slot with one assistant. If you set up a massive injection site at the SOL I could do hundreds in a day - the actual injection takes about 10 seconds its the faff on when people turn up in duffel coats then take 5 mins to get them off that slows you down. I would expect there will be admin folk who take down details and deal with all the paperwork like logging the batch numbers and expiry dates for the vaccine. They then move the person on to the injection area with a vaccine. The nurse or doctor goes round giving the jab and the person then wanders over to a separate area to wait 15 mins to make sure they dont have a reaction.

The pain is doing it all socially distanced as you will need to have appointments set up for everyone not just turn up to a mass clinic. In the UK there are 15 million or so flu vaccs given in a six week period with no major issues so I think with more organisation you could cover all that ask for one in a few months or less

If the vaccine works then rolling it out should be treated like a war time military operation.

The sooner it’s done we can get back to some normality, socially, economically, culturally.

If it works I don’t see why the government wouldn’t be throwing everything at getting people vaccinated as the no1 priority. Everything else pails into insignificance to a route out of Covid

It's already under manufacture. Transport and delivery will be no problem. The vaccination will take a fraction of the Testing time.

I was reading about the Russian vaccine and saw this confirmation of what I had read before.

"the delivery is complicated by "special temperature conditions during transportation and storage. Most coronavirus vaccine front-runners require storage at deep-freeze temperatures, imposing additional challenges on governments to set up functioning supply chains."

Back