Council to provide meals all year round for children from low-income families

Weirdly, the government pay for kids' meals in a household earning more than I do - I find that rather strange mind. The baby makers will have to stop having it as a career choice as I'm fairly sure from 2017 you can only claim benefits for 2 kids (but that won't make any difference to those that have spat them out over the years leading up until that point) they'll still have their benefits capped at a certain level though etc.
I’m all for the benefit cap tbh ,it’s guiding people down the wrong path the way it’s been .Every able bodied person should be providing for their own family over the course of their working life and living within their means.
I can’t see why that opinion doesn’t go down well on here tbh.

I’m all for the benefit cap tbh ,it’s guiding people down the wrong path the way it’s been .Every able bodied person should be providing for their own family over the course of their working life and living within their means.
I can’t see why that opinion doesn’t go down well on here tbh.

It does go down well. I think you’re just exaggerating the arguments against you.

Nobody thinks that an able bodied person shouldn’t be in work.

It's Taylor Shaw at our school.

The dinner children get a list for the following term and they have to pick all their meals for that term, so they can be ordered in.

I couldn't suddenly ask for mine to go on dinners next week as they won't be able to supply the meals for her and I'd have to wait until after the Easter holidays.

I see it’s true about there being nowhere decent to eat in Durham! My bairns (Newcastle state school)have their dinners cooked on site and the choices seem fairly good and healthy. They invite the parents in once ir twice a year so they can see for themselves. I guess like many things the state provides it’s a postcode lottery.. or some councils are more competent than others

It's Taylor Shaw at our school.

The dinner children get a list for the following term and they have to pick all their meals for that term, so they can be ordered in.

I couldn't suddenly ask for mine to go on dinners next week as they won't be able to supply the meals for her and I'd have to wait until after the Easter holidays.
Here in Singapore my kids are at local primary schools (ie not private/international places) and all schools have a canteen that looks like a mini Singapore hawker centre - little stalls ran by an old aunty or uncle, providing a certain type of dish - so a Chinese Rice stall, a noodle stall, a Malay stall, an Indian stall, maybe a "western" stall, a fruit and drinks stall, etc. The kids have to pay, but its very much subsidised - maybe a UK quid or less for a dish cooked on site that day. Teaches kids about money, ordering for themselves, etc. Also, the school day here is usually around 7.30am to 1.45pm - so they come home for lunch as well.

Weirdly, the government pay for kids' meals in a household earning more than I do - I find that rather strange mind. The baby makers will have to stop having it as a career choice as I'm fairly sure from 2017 you can only claim benefits for 2 kids (but that won't make any difference to those that have spat them out over the years leading up until that point) they'll still have their benefits capped at a certain level though etc.

It's because you get working tax credits, so that excludes you from free school meals.

You could have a household that gets £15K purely from benefits and they would get free school dinners. A house with a part time working earning £5K in wages and £5K in working and child tax credits wouldn't be entitled to free school meals. I agree that is unfair and it's like they are penalising workers.

It's because you get working tax credits, so that excludes you from free school meals.

You could have a household that gets £15K purely from benefits and they would get free school dinners. A house with a part time working earning £5K in wages and £5K in working and child tax credits wouldn't be entitled to free school meals. I agree that is unfair and it's like they are penalising workers.
It's a strange rule isn't it ! I do believe however once everyone goes over to Universal Credit I would be entitled to them :neutral:, which is small consolation for all the shit Universal Credit will bring.

Is this really where we’re at as a society? We have families who are so poor the council has to feed children every day of the year?

Shocking we’ve allowed ourselves to get into this state.

- - -
A Scottish council is planning to provide school meals 365 days a year to children from low income families.

North Lanarkshire Council said its proposal would help tackle "holiday hunger".

The "Food 365" programme would cover the 175 days of the year when lunches are not served in school.

If approved, the council will run a pilot project in the spring break and could then extend the scheme over the summer holidays.

Council may feed children 365 days a year

- - -
Yes it’s a f*****g disgrace but par for the course with this Government!

It's a strange rule isn't it ! I do believe however once everyone goes over to Universal Credit I would be entitled to them :neutral:, which is small consolation for all the shit Universal Credit will bring.

I'd be entitled to nothing under Universal Credit.

The only reason a family on benefits would get £15k is if they had a house full of kids or some were on disabled benefits which don’t count as income. I worked out the other day that a single parent with one child would get around £9k in her hand plus housing and council tax benefits.

The only reason a family on benefits would get £15k is if they had a house full of kids or some were on disabled benefits which don’t count as income. I worked out the other day that a single parent with one child would get around £9k in her hand plus housing and council tax benefits.
£7280 plus about £40 quid a week housing benefit and about £1.12 a week council tax benefit to be nigh on precise missus.

They were just example figures to highlight the discrepancy.

I think free school meals should be available to all with a household income under a set figure, regardless of if their income is from benefits, work or a mix of both.

£7280 plus about £40 quid a week housing benefit and about £1.12 a week council tax benefit to be nigh on precise missus.

Where did you get your figures? I used local rents and in my example the woman got over £13000 including her full rent of £75 per week and the full amount of council tax for the year, minus the 25% single person disregard, so around £800 on a £1000 tax bill.

Which is a disgrace .If she wants to raise a child then she should bloody well go out and earn a wage .all for the working mother getting help in this situation ,but free money for sitting playing on Facebook all day ,I’m afraid that’s a no .
It’s this type of nonsense that’s driving the hard working Brit to vote Tory .

They were just example figures to highlight the discrepancy.

I think free school meals should be available to all with a household income under a set figure, regardless of if their income is from benefits, work or a mix of both.
Personally I think it should be free for all ,or everyone pay .we are all in this together .

Which is a disgrace .If she wants to raise a child then she should bloody well go out and earn a wage .all for the working mother getting help in this situation ,but free money for sitting playing on Facebook all day ,I’m afraid that’s a no .
It’s this type of nonsense that’s driving the hard working Brit to vote Tory .

Personally I think it should be free for all ,or everyone pay .we are all in this together .

The hard working Brit to vote Tory?

Goodness me you’re great with the sound bites.

THIS IS TORY BRITAIN.

We’ve had a Tory government since 2010! We’ll have one until 2022. Probably 2027. They’ve had their chance at benefit reform. Voting Tory because you feel hard done by despite having (from what you say on here) rather a lot of money, is madness.

So what about people on low incomes who also pay taxes. ? Plus your last statement was perthetic As most people claiming benefits work part-time*.

Btw how must do you pay into the state?

Like your spelling, assumption* and question.

Regarding benefits it's complicated as rent/council taxes etc Can be taken off them if they go over. I employ 6 members of staff and 3 work part time for me and do a brilliant job, they pay tax NI etc and one thing they are not is lazy I'd love to employ them full time but I simply can't do it at the moment. To tar everyone with the same brush is stupid as it's not as easy as black n white...

Employ or manage?

To do what, pick fruit and veg?

Last edited:
The hard working Brit to vote Tory?

Goodness me you’re great with the sound bites.

THIS IS TORY BRITAIN.

We’ve had a Tory government since 2010! We’ll have one until 2022. Probably 2027. They’ve had their chance at benefit reform. Voting Tory because you feel hard done by despite having (from what you say on here) rather a lot of money, is madness.
I can't remember saying I had lots of money ?Anyway people like me from a working class area like Sunderland would never have voted Tory at one time .There isn't an alternative that represents the tax paying 40hr a week working man .

Back