Council Tax Single Person Discount

Your not reading what I said when I was younger I done up 3 properties and sold them on for a canny profit enough to buy a nice house
Bet you feel pretty daft earning all that money and buying a nice house in a nice area now mate. Just think of all the cash you could have saved if you'd just bought a lesser house in a crapper part of town. :(

Bet you feel pretty daft earning all that money and buying a nice house in a nice area now mate. Just think of all the cash you could have saved if you'd just bought a lesser house in a crapper part of town. :(
But that’s not what I want for my family
It must be like a football pitch if you can't fit a fortnights worth of grass in one of them bins like. Poor soul.
250m2 the lawn like
Aye fee really daft doubling my money on a house in Whitburn if I sold it like and been set for life when im older

Last edited:
But that’s not what I want for my family

250m2 the lawn like

Aye fee really daft doubling my money on a house in Whitburn if I sold it like and been set for life when im older
Well done. Seems like a pretty good setup you have to me. Just enjoy it rather playing the rather ridiculous "poor me" card. You have a house most can only dream of.

Did you not know what band your house would be in prior to purchasing it?

Last edited:
Well done. Seems like a pretty good setup you have to me. Just enjoy it rather playing the rather ridiculous "poor me" card. You have a house most can only dream of.

Did you not know what band your house would be in prior to purchasing it?
I dont dare ring up and question the band mate opening a can of worms imo terrified they will increase it
Yet you still blubb like a bairn at having to pay the taxes you knew would be associated with such a purchase. Weird that like.
I’m complaining because I don’t think it’s a fair system of taxation it should be a set price unless your a pensioner or unemployed we all get the same service

Last edited:
I dont dare ring up and question the band mate opening a can of worms imo terrified they will increase it

I’m complaining because I don’t think it’s a fair system of taxation it should be a set price unless your a pensioner or unemployed we all get the same service
But it's the taxation system that has been in existence most of your life and was the system in place when you were purchasing the house. We all have to make compromises in life. Buying a bigger house has associated running costs which you need to factor in, it's not just a one-off purchase cost. They cost more to heat, more to maintain, more to insure, have higher utility and council tax bills. Them's your choices, or you could live in a smaller house and drive your leased BMW. I know which I would plump for looking at the longer term, and I'd say you've made the right choice, now you have to live with the consequences associated with your choice.

Do pensioners and unemployed people get a different service?

Do pensioners and unemployed people get a different service?
Ffs I’m not getting into an argument man I just think 280 quid a month is extortionate
But it's the taxation system that has been in existence most of your life and was the system in place when you were purchasing the house. We all have to make compromises in life. Buying a bigger house has associated running costs which you need to factor in, it's not just a one-off purchase cost. They cost more to heat, more to maintain, more to insure, have higher utility and council tax bills. Them's your choices, or you could live in a smaller house and drive your leased BMW. I know which I would plump for looking at the longer term, and I'd say you've made the right choice, now you have to live with the consequences associated with your choice.
I’m just saying it’s a lot of money

Last edited:
Ffs I’m not getting into an argument man I just think 280 quid a month is extortionate

I’m just saying it’s a lot of money
It is. Blame the Tories. They are the ones who have aggressively and consistently cut the money they give out to local councils, particularly in Labour controlled areas meaning the councils have to either cut back on services or increase the council tax bills.

Currently 25% why is it not 50% if the other option is based on two people living together.
Because we need to encourage people to live together for mental health and housing reasons.
I'm not sure a single millionaire in his mansion should pay the same as a student in his house share.
What does the house have to do with anything.

Surely it should be based on income.

Why should a single person in his mansion who had been made redundant pay more than a student in his house share earning £1m a year from YouTube?

Last edited:
I only put my bin out every third visit like, should be allowed a free garden waste occasionally I reckon, no way of tracking it like and obviously the charge is for more than just the bins.

Why should a single person in his mansion who had been made redundant pay more than a student in his house share earning £1m a year from YouTube?

There's no perfect answer.

If it was income only then a millionaire sitting in his mansion not needing to work would pay less than a family with no savings and income of £40k/year.

Because we need to encourage people to live together for mental health and housing reasons.

What does the house have to do with anything.

Exactly just because someone’s house is worth more it doesn’t mean they have more income to spend

Back