Council Tax Rises

true but middle of durham won't be cheap and right on the river which has flooded regular in recent weeks............ doesn't look good does it. congestion into durham will increase. for me they should have put it on the industrial estate at dawdon or peterlee.

The council owned the land already so there were no purchase costs. The build will create some issues regarding parking but bringing people into the centre will help local shops and businesses and there will be improvements to Park and Ride. The way to deal with congestion is to deter travel by car. The building has been designed full in the knowledge that flooding takes place but the protection designed into the Passport Office and other buildings on that side seems to have worked.

I wasn’t 100% about locating it within the City Centre but if you actually look at the detailed plans during the consultation the issues of traffic and flooding were detailed and explanations given as to how risks would be mitigated.

Not at all shocked, got to pay for the new HQ and for when it floods.
It's appalling what we have to pay in Durham though.

You can blame the Conservative party for that. They force councils to put up council tax to make up the shortfall from the central government grant.

When you force councils by law to do more, but don’t fund them accordingly, they will resort to their other source of funding - their residents.

This is Osborne’s work, carried on by Hammond, Javid and probably Sunak too.

You can blame the Conservative party for that. They force councils to put up council tax to make up the shortfall from the central government grant.

When you force councils by law to do more, but don’t fund them accordingly, they will resort to their other source of funding - their residents.

Or you have council's like STMBC who are the most corrupt going who squander millions every year

So if labour were in charge the CT would have gone down or stayed the same? Get real.

So if labour were in charge the CT would have gone down or stayed the same? Get real.

Probably not this year, no. I didn’t say that either, so you can take your straw men and set the **** on fire for all I care.
And how many students live in private properties in Durham but don't pay council tax yet expect the same services as everyone else

How many of those students have the means to pay council tax?

Last edited:
Or you have council's like STMBC who are the most corrupt going who squander millions every year

Who? How are they corrupt? On what do they squander their money?

I once worked for a LA subject to multiple vexatious FOI requests because one person thought they were corrupt. People all over the country say this nonsense but haven’t the foggiest what councils even do.

Probably not this year, no. I didn’t say that either, so you can take your straw men and set the **** on fire for all I care.

How many of those students have the means to pay council tax?

Fair few wealthy students in Durham but probably in the minority.

One rocked up at van mildert college yesterday in a brand new BMW M8 which is something like 80/90k.

Or perhaps the landlords should contribute?
There's over 20k students iirc, plus all the staff supporting them.

It's a university city after all.

Agree its a uni city and most of the residents I talk to are fairly hacked off. Can't even buy houses near the city centre due to the ridiculous prices.

6 bedroom terraced house went for in excess of 525k just after Christmas and that's on Hawthorn Terrace

Last edited:
If people want the local services, funding either comes from govt by way of our taxes centrally or through council taxes at a local level. Like it or lump it we all have to chip in for the things we want

Fair few wealthy students in Durham but probably in the minority.

One rocked up at van mildert college yesterday in a brand new BMW M8 which is something like 80/90k.

Or perhaps the landlords should contribute?

Agree its a uni city and most of the residents I talk to are fairly hacked off. Can't even buy houses near the city centre due to the ridiculous prices.

6 bedroom terraced house went for in excess of 525k just after Christmas and that's on Hawthorn Terrace

There are insanely wealthy students at all universities but the elite ones even moreso, but you’re right they’re a tiny minority.

I definitely would support a government-backed initiative to build more purpose built student housing and get second and third years out of residential areas.

That does mean some investor landlords will lose out but that’s the least worst way forward IMO.

It's funny how many people across the whole country think this about their council just cos they don't agree with a few policies
Nothing to do with their policies...it's about the corruption that has been unearthed by an independent councillor

If people want the local services, funding either comes from govt by way of our taxes centrally or through council taxes at a local level. Like it or lump it we all have to chip in for the things we want

Exactly but since councils bear the burden of funding social care but without the means to do so, they’re going to come back to their residents.

This is a Tory problem, paid for by the Labour party, probably intentionally so.
Nothing to do with their policies...it's about the corruption that has been unearthed by an independent councillor

Hoy the details up please.

Do tell.

We have the same thing in Sunderland with the likes of Len who's convinced he's unearthed stuff, but most of it is nonsense.

Exactly but since councils bear the burden of funding social care but without the means to do so, they’re going to come back to their residents.

This is a Tory problem, paid for by the Labour party, probably intentionally so.

Hoy the details up please.
So go back to residents, what’s the big deal. we will be getting taxed one way or anyone to pay for services, it matters little where the bill comes from.

People bellyache like fuck about lack of this that and the other...but then belly ache if they’ve gotta stick their hands in their pockets to pay for it

Back