Could fans ever buy a Premier League club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everyone of them win the lottery and decided they didn't want to spend their money wisely then yes.

That buys the club but we'd need to service the debt so it would really need to be a minimum of £350m just to get us back on an even keel. Then we'd need a wor chest so say another £50m

WIlD GUESSES

Plus
Tangible Assets: stadium, training ground, land etc. Value £200 m
Readily disposal assets: players less high earning losers, PVA, Pickford, Gooch etc. £85 m (generous value)
Goodwill (dependent on being in the PL, mostly TV income, 3 years less parachute) £222 m (Championship £87 m)
Goodwill (Brand name, Match Day + Commercial x 3) £63 m
Total: £570 m

Less
Debts £193 m (may be higher than this?)

Value: £377 m (PL) £230 m (Championship)

Whether the richer fans would be prepared to pay this?

Crash into administration and a fire sale and debtors want their ounce (as much as they can get) and it might even be less than £200m.

Yes and it's a far better system.

Football clubs should be owned by members. Each member (ST holder) is a shareholder.

They elect the board to run the joint and that's it.

No Citeh
No Abramovich or Americans

(Well they could run for the board but they're never going to "own" the club).

Private ownership of clubs is whats fucked English football above all else.
Commie!

WIlD GUESSES

Plus
Readily disposal assets: players less high earning losers, PVA, Pickford, Gooch etc. £85 m (generous value)
Goodwill (dependent on being in the PL, mostly TV income, 3 years less parachute) £222 m (Championship £87 m)

Less

Crash into administration and a fire sale and debtors want their ounce (as much as they can get) and it might even be less than £200m.

There are some incorrect figures Match Day + Commercial + more like £93 m (PL) and would be a bit less in the Championship.

All very rough and speculative anyway. Transfer value of players might only be £55 m ?

Sell any players and relegation is a certainty, so I might exclude transfer values entirely and as assets that are going to depreciate to nothing. Or sale income squandered.

Roughly, pay the debt and the club is yours, if you have the wherewithal to sustain future losses. Near as the amount of debt I expect.

WIlD GUESSES

Plus

Less

Value of assets would be quite a lot less than £200m I think. The stadium would be almost valueless (who else would want a 49,000 seater stadium in Sunderland?) so surely would only maintain the value of the land. The value of the AoL land would be even lower as IIRC it's mainly greenbelt so couldn't be used for any sort of development. If I had to guess the value of our stadium, AoL, etc. would be less than £100m. Just a guess like.

Value of assets would be quite a lot less than £200m I think. The stadium would be almost valueless (who else would want a 49,000 seater stadium in Sunderland?) so surely would only maintain the value of the land. The value of the AoL land would be even lower as IIRC it's mainly greenbelt so couldn't be used for any sort of development. If I had to guess the value of our stadium, AoL, etc. would be less than £100m. Just a guess like.

Stadium generates income of £20 m a year or so with gate receipts etc. I put this under goodwill so I might have duplicated the £63m value.

Revised

Stadium £200m
Players £50m
TV Income/goodwill £222m (PL) £87m (Championship first 3 years)

Relegated (3 years) £337m les debt £193m = £144 m
PL £279 m.
Championship (regular like Leeds and Forest) = £57 m.

cf Bolton (after non-football assets disposed of) £111m - debt £93m. Value about £19m. Perhaps more depending how debts were allocated.

Ignores a value for tradition and goodwill/brand name.

PL teams should be able to make a profit or break even. Championship clubs (mid-table w/o parachutes) need to find cash of £10 m a year or sell any good players. That's without buying any players or servicing a debt, depreciation on a stadium value (small debts like Derby County).

All a lot of noughts.

Summary, fans could buy a lower league club but could not pay the annual losses. Needs a sugar daddy to keep them going.

Perhaps starting a supporters trust would be a more realistic approach, funded with a voluntary donations and possibly a negotiated small percentage of revenue from match day/season ticket sales etc if the fans were to get the club on board.

I think the club might even benefit from having an appointed representative of the fans in the board room as a supporters voice. Something they could've done with a long time ago.

Obviously it raises a lot more questions that I can be arsed to cover here, but it's surely more credible than trying to usurp the hierarchy by collectively taking out countless thousands of personal loans?

You would need to have a variety of tiers for it to work, with basic membership costing a low enough figure. Perhaps make it part of a season ticket?

Then you would have to have yearly dues from all levels to keep the thing ticking over.

You would also need elected board with set terms, say five years, so they can achieve things. Could actually work as a more stable system, but would have to be implemented in a lower league at first.

Clubs can make and spend whatever money they like.

But the fans own them and they can't be bought and sold by foreign billionaires.

If you want to run a football club then fine, get on the board. But the fans can sack you, as they are the club and they own it.

Id rather have a fan owned SAFC playing at our natural level than the farce I've been watching for the last 48yrs.
Membership as part of ST or £25 per year.
Board elected for four year periods a couple up for renewal every year.
Non exec board to watch ower them like we had during the Reidy years. Twas ex vauxs and ex BP board type fellers.

Id rather have a fan owned SAFC playing at our natural level than the farce I've been watching for the last 48yrs.
Membership as part of ST or £25 per year.
Board elected for four year periods a couple up for renewal every year.
Non exec board to watch ower them like we had during the Reidy years. Twas ex vauxs and ex BP board type fellers.
Wouldnt want a couple up every year - surely you want a bit more stability? No fixed terms and everyone up ever four-five years? I prefer five, again for stability reasons.

Wouldnt want a couple up every year - surely you want a bit more stability? No fixed terms and everyone up ever four-five years? I prefer five, again for stability reasons.
The last thing we'd want are regimes and regime changes. We'd have a ten or so person board in my plan. With a couple elected/reelected every year.
There was someone on here mentioned they knew of a dozen or so mlfs on the boards of multinationals and household name companies who'd love an involvement at SAFC. Ex BP and Vauxs fellers anarl. The top bloke at Metro Banks a mlf anarl.There's a few mlfs at the FA and PL. Murray, Walton, Quinny and Fickling to advise in the early years.
Look how far Wimbledon have got starting from scratch. It works in Germany and Spain so why not here. It's fear, ignorance and tradition acting as blinkers that have stopped it in this country......and cash.
I don't think thered be any shortage of knowledge and help n goodwill. It'd be the cash that'd be the problem.

The last thing we'd want are regimes and regime changes. We'd have a ten or so person board in my plan. With a couple elected/reelected every year.
There was someone on here mentioned they knew of a dozen or so mlfs on the boards of multinationals and household name companies who'd love an involvement at SAFC. Ex BP and Vauxs fellers anarl. The top bloke at Metro Banks a mlf anarl.There's a few mlfs at the FA and PL. Murray, Walton, Quinny and Fickling to advise in the early years.
Look how far Wimbledon have got starting from scratch. It works in Germany and Spain so why not here. It's fear, ignorance and tradition acting as blinkers that have stopped it in this country......and cash.
I don't think thered be any shortage of knowledge and help n goodwill. It'd be the cash that'd be the problem.
Perhaps - a rolling door with the regimes blending into each other giving continuity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back