Could anyone recommend books to read during November and December lay off?

It's great, and anyone who questions Guardiola really should give it a go.

Yeah, it certainly gave me a different perspective on him.

I found it very interesting that he changed his mind tactically 3 times in the build up to the 2nd leg against Real Madrid in the Champions League SF.

There was also reference to him doing the same against Inter in the Champions League SF with Barcelona a few years earlier.

Then he tried something different almost a decade later in the final against Chelsea with Man City which backfired.

I understand that's only 3 examples and at the very highest level where tactically the game is so advanced, but interesting nonetheless.

I've read the first five, just finished the fifth the other day. I really enjoy them, history, fiction and the North East all rolled into one. What's not to like?
I know they are a little formulated but still enjoyable light reading.
true enough - but the thought of having to get through 13 books to get to the part I wanted to read was too much - so I took a shortcut.

true enough - but the thought of having to get through 13 books to get to the part I wanted to read was too much - so I took a shortcut.
I generally keep them for when I'm up in Bambrugh during the summer. I remember many years I read a line from Tom Sawyer saying something like there's nothing quite like reading a book than reading it in the place it was written. He was right. I read Dracula whilst sitting in one of the top floor rooms in the Cresent. I could actually follow Mina's route right the way up to the graveyard, that was brilliant.

Brian Lumley the Necroscope series. 5 books, awesome novel, starts with a bullied kid in the North East. Read them during the Gulf war.

@joedurham
Quite spooky that you asked me if I thought he was a misogynist
Just picked up the book to continue reading and literally the very next paragraph he says,
I wasn't a misanthrope and I wasn't a misogynist but I liked being alone.

I think some people blur the lines between him and Hemingway. Who almost certainly was a misogynist

Last edited:
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already but Rob Mason has a new book due out, detailing every player to have played for Sunderland.

You can pre order now and it’s due for release November 1st.

Just watch the World Cup man
I’m one of those currently not arsed about it as we sit here in August but I know for a fact I’ll end up watching every game more or less when it lands.

Exactly the same I was a few month before the euros last year and I was totally invested in it.

Back