Could another new manager make things worse?

Believe me mate, if you'd watched us live, you'd be of the same opinion.
A West Ham fan thought along your lines until he saw us yesterday. He now knows exactly where we are coming from.
As I've said a couple of times, Keith Hill assembled a squad of freebies in a day, at a club on its knees and has nearly twice the win percentage of Parkinson, with a squad who were very nearly promoted in May.
Yes, I know - I've read your comments and I also read the West Ham fan's comments too.
Like I said - it's a fair comment and yes you're right in the fact that I haven't seen you play lately.
it just seems that whoever your manager is , it doesn't take long before folk are clamouring for him to be sacked.
There isn't a lot of decent managers about these days that would want to manage Sunderland (or Boro for that matter).
About every manager they've had in the last 10 years?
Pretty much yes, i'd say - barring some of the mega successful clubs.

Last edited:

The general consensus, from listening to Total Sport and the threads on here, is that your manager has to go, ASAP.

If this happens, then there will be even more turmoil and there is a distinct possibility that results will continue to go badly. So through that turmoil, if the next manager were to lose the first 3 games, then there would be massive pressure, almost immediately.

Throw in a squad where many are out of contract in the summer and you potentially have a perfect storm. Worse case sending you into freefall.

Of course, the other question is, who would come? Phillips seems to be the only one who wants the job. Could he deal with the pressure and expectation that will be heaped upon him?
A new manager could lose 6 games as long as there was a pattern of play forming. This cock end has not one clue how to organise a team from what I and thousands of other have witnessed so far. I saw the team sheet yesterday and thought ,how many today. After listening to the after match interview I just wonder how these ex players manage to blag there way into management.

Is he going to make things better, will he make Leadbooter run quicker, or Grigg score more goals, or turn the full backs into footballers? will he be able to convince good players to sign for this clusterfuck of a club?
Spot on Teed,im sick of saying it these players dont give a shit because the club wont be renewing their contracts,and they know it.Wouldnt make any difference at the minute who is in charge.We are nearly at the jan window and got to pray we get at least 5 with pace and height and power

Yes, I know - I've read your comments and I also read the West Ham fan's comments too.
Like I said - it's a fair comment and yes you're right in the fact that I haven't seen you play lately.
it just seems that whoever your manager is , it doesn't take long before folk are clamouring for him to be sacked.
There isn't a lot of decent managers about these days that would want to manage Sunderland (or Boro for that matter).

Pretty much yes, i'd say - barring some of the mega successful clubs.

I don't mean successful as in winning trophies though. I just mean any sort of positive impact whatsoever.

Coleman - Unemployed.
Grayson - Had to drop a divison to get a job
Moyes - Unemployed since bar a small stint at West Ham before being replaced
O'Neil - Unemployed. Last managed in a league below the one we were in at the time
Poyet - Unemployed
Di Canio - Unemployed. Hasn't had a job since.
Advocaat - Onto his 5th job in 4 years
Bruce - Doing OK at the mags after having to drop a divison to get another job.
Allardyce - Unemployed

I don't think there's many sides in the prem who have a) had so many managers b) have such a high % of ex managers either unemployed or unable to get a job again at that level.
A new manager could lose 6 games as long as there was a pattern of play forming. This cock end has not one clue how to organise a team from what I and thousands of other have witnessed so far. I saw the team sheet yesterday and thought ,how many today. After listening to the after match interview I just wonder how these ex players manage to blag there way into management.

The worrying thing is he can't see how poor we are. He genuinely seems to think we are ayomg well and are just unlucky.

I don't mean successful as in winning trophies though. I just mean any sort of positive impact whatsoever.

Coleman - Unemployed.
O'Neil - Unemployed. Last managed in a league below the one we were in at the time
Poyet - Unemployed
Allardyce - Unemployed

I don't think there's many sides in the prem who have a) had so many managers b) have such a high % of ex managers either unemployed or unable to get a job again at that level.

The worrying thing is he can't see how poor we are. He genuinely seems to think we are ayomg well and are just unlucky.
your right and that is frightening.

Coleman - Unemployed.
Poyet - Unemployed
Allardyce - Unemployed

At face value it looks like we destroy managers careers as well as player careers.

However, it should be of note that after us O'Neil managed Ireland and took them to the knockout stages of Euro 2016. And we lost Allardyce to the England nation team. Won his first game out and we know what happened after that.

Believe me mate, if you'd watched us live, you'd be of the same opinion.
A West Ham fan thought along your lines until he saw us yesterday. He now knows exactly where we are coming from.
As I've said a couple of times, Keith Hill assembled a squad of freebies in a day, at a club on its knees and has nearly twice the win percentage of Parkinson, with a squad who were very nearly promoted in May.
TBF this squad is a lot weaker than the one that was nearly promoted in May
In reply to the thread title - The last new manager did!

Last edited:
At face value it looks like we destroy managers careers as well as player careers.

However, it should be of note that after us O'Neil managed Ireland and took them to the knockout stages of Euro 2016. And we lost Allardyce to the England nation team. Won his first game out and we know what happened after that.

Allardyce was the only one that was a success here and that's why so many like him. He had no intention of hanging about regardless of the England job though.

MON did manage Ireland but he's failed to manage in the prem again and failed in his only club job since at a lower level.

Poyet could have came close to being successful but he totally lost the plot in the end (as he seems to do) and made his position untenable.

Wouldnt say we destroy managers careers. We just employ the wrong ones. All those bar Allardyce Poyet and Coleman had already began their spiral and Coleman was an awful club manager before he came here despite a similarly good run Wales as MON had with Ireland.

Allardyce was the only one that was a success here and that's why so many like him. He had no intention of hanging about regardless of the England job though.

MON did manage Ireland but he's failed to manage in the prem again and failed in his only club job since at a lower level.

Poyet could have came close to being successful but he totally lost the plot in the end (as he seems to do) and made his position untenable.

Wouldnt say we destroy managers careers. We just employ the wrong ones. All those bar Allardyce Poyet and Coleman had already began their spiral and Coleman was an awful club manager before he came here despite a similarly good run Wales as MON had with Ireland.
MON didn't really fail at Forest, just not a success. And they seemed to get rid of him because they got rid of Keane. It seems he needs the right assistant with him or it's not worth having him.

It says a lot that we've had Roy Keane as a manager and he's only just in the top 3 for insanity levels for our recent managers.

We don't have the players to play to his strengths though, see, that's the biggest problem, we have a squad full of utter shit.

I can't accept that - they are professional footballers - there must be a modicum of talent there. Punting long balls to a little centre forward must be the manager's instruction. Even when I used to coach kids it was obvious that because we had a lot of smaller lads compared to other teams we couldn't play long balls - but they adapted to playing pass and move and were competitive. Not to mention the apparent defeatist attitude that seems to be Parkinson's hallmark.

MON didn't really fail at Forest, just not a success. And they seemed to get rid of him because they got rid of Keane. It seems he needs the right assistant with him or it's not worth having him.

It says a lot that we've had Roy Keane as a manager and he's only just in the top 3 for insanity levels for our recent managers.

Bizarrely, despite the amount of money we've thrown away under Short we only once ever paid compensation to a club to appoint their manager. It's also the highest we ever finished under Short.

Exactly. You'd think we might have tried it again at least once in 10 years but nope.
Well we did with Ross. Gave us our highest position within a league since Keane's season. But how last season ended up and the start of this season started suggested he wasn't going to take us up. Honestly don't know what the answer is right now. Accept where we are and build up just focusing on getting into the Championship with aims to stay there to hopefully build for a Premier League push? Or something else that might just propel us up two leagues by any means necessary as we'd gotten used to being a Premier League club and not a yo-yo side or second tier side.

The general consensus, from listening to Total Sport and the threads on here, is that your manager has to go, ASAP.

If this happens, then there will be even more turmoil and there is a distinct possibility that results will continue to go badly. So through that turmoil, if the next manager were to lose the first 3 games, then there would be massive pressure, almost immediately.

Throw in a squad where many are out of contract in the summer and you potentially have a perfect storm. Worse case sending you into freefall.

Of course, the other question is, who would come? Phillips seems to be the only one who wants the job. Could he deal with the pressure and expectation that will be heaped upon him?
yes KP

fa

Fair comment mate.....but, come on.
Just about every manager you've had in recent times (bar Allardyce) has been deemed as 'out of his depth' or 'not good enough' for your club.
I get that things aren't great but the fact is that you're in league one , so are not likely to attract the calibre of manager that you all seem to think you should have.
And maybe Parkinson's football style isn't great, but he hasn't exactly had any time to impose any change , seeing as he's working with the same players as when he came in.

I'm not meaning to 'have a go' or take the piss - things aren't exactly great at Boro - just that it always looks like your managers are judged as being crap when there's not been a lot of time to make those judgements.

What are you going on about?

How the fuck could things get worse?

Back