Coughlin gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list of released lads is countless and I agree the club can't keep everyone but they'll keep the ones they think are worthwhile which I'm not disagreeing with. I also don't doubt the time and effort that goes into coaching these lads but again that is done ultimately to benefit Durham, it's not a charity they're running. Coggers has been given what he believes is a better opportunity and he has every right to take it as he may not get the sane opportunity again.

aye, and it hasn't really benefitted durham that much has it? we've developed him as a cricket to benefit us, not for charity, and we're not getting that benefit.

he has every right obviously, just like every one at durham has the right to be disappointed in his decision

aye, and it hasn't really benefitted durham that much has it? we've developed him as a cricket to benefit us, not for charity, and we're not getting that benefit.

he has every right obviously, just like every one at durham has the right to be disappointed in his decision
Ok then so if Durham want all the credit for developing him then they must take responsibility for not developing a lot of other lads who they couldn't get to the point of coggers. Can't have it all ways I'm afraid.
I have no issue with people being disappointed but some of the things said about him on here are out of order.

Exactly, hence me seeing in their own interests. Where was the patience shown towards numerous other lads they've sent packing? Obviously not in their interests so off they went. That's sport I'm afraid. Clubs can't preach loyalty when they show none themselves.

Are you serious? The list of players we kept faith with is endless. Most counties would've binned Stoneman and Jennings off long before they found real form. Then, with Coughlin, lots of other counties would NOT have spent the time, money and effort we have in rehabilitating him time and time again.

So you're wrong, as is wayne, when you talk about loyalty. The club have shown those players more loyalty than almost every other county would've done.

Are you serious? The list of players we kept faith with is endless. Most counties would've binned Stoneman and Jennings off long before they found real form. Then, with Coughlin, lots of other counties would NOT have spent the time, money and effort we have in rehabilitating him time and time again.

So you're wrong, as is wayne, when you talk about loyalty. The club have shown those players more loyalty than almost every other county would've done.
Why do you think Durham showed faith in Jennings and stoneman whilst releasing lads like Coetzer, pattinson, McLeod, Turner etc? You think they did because they were canny lads? They did it because they were worth persevering with and had talent. If they didn't they'd have joined the long list of others who've been put out to grass.

Why do you think Durham showed faith in Jennings and stoneman whilst releasing lads like Coetzer, pattinson, McLeod, Turner etc? You think they did because they were canny lads? They did it because they were worth persevering with and had talent. If they didn't they'd have joined the long list of others who've been put out to grass.

I would argue most of those players were given far more time to get it right than they would have at other counties. So it's not quite as simple as you want to force onto me, many people on here for example felt McLeod wasn't up to scratch long before the club decided to let him go - so those players (with the exception of Turner) were all given plenty of chances to prove their worth.

You've missed the main point though, how many of those players would've been given the same chances at Surrey/Middlesex/Yorkshire/Lancashire/etc/etc/etc??

I would argue most of those players were given far more time to get it right than they would have at other counties. So it's not quite as simple as you want to force onto me, many people on here for example felt McLeod wasn't up to scratch long before the club decided to let him go - so those players (with the exception of Turner) were all given plenty of chances to prove their worth.

You've missed the main point though, how many of those players would've been given the same chances at Surrey/Middlesex/Yorkshire/Lancashire/etc/etc/etc??
I have absolutely no idea but if they saw potential they'd no doubt keep at them for as long as they saw fit, surely that's just natural.
I actually think it's you who is missing point here. I'm not knocking Durham for releasing lads, they aren't a charity and sport is a ruthless business but clubs can't have their cake and eat it I'm afraid and whatever sport it maybe when something like this happens the player always comes in for stick whilst it's woe is me for the club in question. Obviously just forget all the lads who's dreams have been shattered by clubs binning them off.
There is no right and wrong in this instance, it's what happens in top level sport.

Of course Durham showed faith but they did so in their own interests (again no issue with that) rather than out of any loyalty to coughlin.
I'm of the view that when Durham offered a 3 year contract to an unproven injury prone not so young player that they were showing a degree of loyalty which deserves to be reciprocated. Obviously we have different concepts of what constitutes loyalty.I certainly don't have any problem with that.

I'm of the view that when Durham offered a 3 year contract to an unproven injury prone not so young player that they were showing a degree of loyalty which deserves to be reciprocated. Obviously we have different concepts of what constitutes loyalty.I certainly don't have any problem with that.
Why would they show any loyalty to coughlin? I just can't work this out I'm afraid. Clubs can't just be giving out contracts to people out of loyalty, that would be a crazy thing to do.

Why would they show any loyalty to coughlin? I just can't work this out I'm afraid. Clubs can't just be giving out contracts to people out of loyalty, that would be a crazy thing to do.
I neither said nor implied that they awarded contracts out of loyalty. I said they showed a degree of loyalty by offering a long term contact to a player whose injury record might well have meant he'd be unable to honour it. I repeat-We have a differing viewpoint on the issue. No problem-not an issue.

I neither said nor implied that they awarded contracts out of loyalty. I said they showed a degree of loyalty by offering a long term contact to a player whose injury record might well have meant he'd be unable to honour it. I repeat-We have a differing viewpoint on the issue. No problem-not an issue.
You have clearly implied that they offereed coughlin a contract partly out of loyalty by claiming Durham showed a "degree of loyalty" by offering him it. I'm saying that loyalty won't have been part of Durhams thought process when it was offered.

And when he signed the contract Durham made a big play of the fact Coughlin was offered a better deal by another county (who turned out to be Warwickshire) but decided to stay at Durham. Both parties must have agreed to the release clause as well or the contract would not have been signed.

You have clearly implied that they offereed coughlin a contract partly out of loyalty by claiming Durham showed a "degree of loyalty" by offering him it. I'm saying that loyalty won't have been part of Durhams thought process when it was offered.
I wouldn't have a clue what Durham's thought processes were or are. Don't think I'd ever want to.

Playing devils advocate.......should durham give someone like Adam Hickey, who's been injured for most of the year, out of loyalty......
they should out of self-interest imho if we're assuming they got the spreadsheet out and they found that funds are available..... he's always looked good on the few times I seen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back