Couch to 5k

did it last year. I've always hated running but it was fairly enjoyable. The issue I found was what to do afterwards, and now I back to square one.

Running 5k and being slightly out of breath is more than most people can do. I used to always want to beat my pb when I first did the parkrun. Now I just turn up and run and the time is irrelevant.

Saying that I'm 2 minutes down on my best so might start some speed work :lol: :lol:

I only do a park run every other week cos of work commitments. On the other week I do a bit of HIIT on me own over 5k. 250m fast, 250m plodding, repeat. Got me time down a little bit by doing that.

Having read this thread I thought I would give it a go. I'm 56, 5'11", weigh just over 15st and despite being on my feet all day, do no real physical exercise.

First run was on Tuesday, and after the first 1 minute run I thought I was dying. The second 1 minute run, same again....felt like I really couldn't get my breath. Stuck with it, taking deep breaths during the walking bits, and completed the 8 x 1 minute runs. I felt better after the 8th than I did the first.
Second one tonight, and quite looking forward to it.

I need to give this a go again. I can walk 5 miles without thinking about it but a 30 second run for the train and I feel like I'm having a heart attack.

What put me off in the past was looking like a pillock stomping around the local playing fields but I'm now past caring what other people think.

Been keeping up, easy enough so far

the problem I have found is that I so set in my ways of doing my ridiculous hikes

I did 23miles on Monday, then had to do this Tuesday morning and legs were stiff as out

I am not sure you can get full impact while still walking so much?

Maybe ease up on my walking? I am so used to doing it (10 miles a day+), that when I dont do it I feel a bit guilty and useless and left wondering what to do.

I know that sounds weird

I started running during first lockdown as part of my daily exercise (3-4 days a week i went running). I planned a route to get me going which was a 2.2k loop. First time i went out i had to stop after 0.4k and had to walk the rest. I took a mental note of where i'd stopped and aimed to run further each time. After a week i managed to run the route.

I then found extra routes to add distance marginally every few weeks. By November / December last year i was comfortably running a 11.5k route which i had settled on as my regular distance.

Then various things happened over the next few months which meant i couldn't get out as much and eventually lost motivation for it. I went out again a month or so back and could only manage 1k. Back to square one!!

I've got a busy few weeks at work this month so from next month i'm going to start again. And i'm determined not to let it slip this time. I''ve always struggled to keep my weight down and i'd managed to get myself into fairly good shape so i'm gutted to have put it back on.

Think i might start with Couch to 5k just to get some initial structure back.

What are the best apps/guides that people have used?
Couch to 5k.
But don’t pull your left calf every time you get to the fifth week. Or pull your back digging the garden either.

Starting it again this weekend if I don’t pull summet before. Behave yerselves ffs.

2nd outing today, and found it easier than Tuesday. Still struggled to get a deep breath after run 1 and 2, but not as bad as Tuesday. Runs 3 to 8 were easier as well. Seems like once I can get a few deep breaths in, I can control my breathing better from run 3 to 8.

TBH, I'm quite pleased with how it's gone up to now, considering how bad my chest has been lately. Got an appointment for my annual spirometry test. Didn't have one last year due to covid, but think there has been a deterioration this time.

Turns out the walking 10 miles a day has actually worked

Just wondered how far I could run, and did the 5k in 33 mins, canny buzzing, never ran that far since I as like 14

Could go faster but it was red hot and I was on a stupid route, kept changing corners

Leave it a day then go again you reckon?

Good going that. I would do as you suggest....rest a day then go again.

Done my final week 1 run tonight, and definately getting easier. Started deep breathing during the initial 5 minute walk and was nowhere near as out of breath on the runs.
I've done 8 x 1 minute runs, 3 times this week, so 24 minutes in total.
24 minutes running over 6 days and I feel like an athlete!! Can't believe I've let myself get so unfit.
Enjoying it though, more than I thought I would.
There's no going back for me now, determined to do this, and looking to lose a couple of stone as well.

Good going that. I would do as you suggest....rest a day then go again.

Done my final week 1 run tonight, and definately getting easier. Started deep breathing during the initial 5 minute walk and was nowhere near as out of breath on the runs.
I've done 8 x 1 minute runs, 3 times this week, so 24 minutes in total.
24 minutes running over 6 days and I feel like an athlete!! Can't believe I've let myself get so unfit.
Enjoying it though, more than I thought I would.
There's no going back for me now, determined to do this, and looking to lose a couple of stone as well.

good man, keep it up

Turns out the walking 10 miles a day has actually worked

Just wondered how far I could run, and did the 5k in 33 mins, canny buzzing, never ran that far since I as like 14

Could go faster but it was red hot and I was on a stupid route, kept changing corners

Leave it a day then go again you reckon?

Best to do a little recovery run the day after then rest fully the day after that.

Best to do a little recovery run the day after then rest fully the day after that.

I was planning on like a 10-15 mile long walk, that no good?

Might do as you say, I really enjoyed it mind and really felt the endorphins.

Now I know I can run 5km, which I have never been able to do, really is motivation to get better.

I was knackered at end but felt I could have done a little more.

I was planning on like a 10-15 mile long walk, that no good?

Might do as you say, I really enjoyed it mind and really felt the endorphins.

Now I know I can run 5km, which I have never been able to do, really is motivation to get better.

I was knackered at end but felt I could have done a little more.
Apologies I thought you meant running not walking. I walked all during lockdown and have kept it up since, bloody love it. Either with music or a podcast or just total silence, mint way of clearing your head.

With walking you’re fine but if you’re running it’s no good doing a big run then the next day slothing out cos the next day you’re going to be cabbaged.

I used to do a 10k or something then the next day not move then wonder why the next day I was paralysed. You need to do a little run the day after to prevent that.

Back