Couch to 5k

Yeah no doubt you are right, I would just like a new challenge almost, something that I do find tougher and can overcome.

Also sometimes on a practical level, it takes a decent amount of time to walk 10 miles, so maybe mixing it up with a run would be nice.

Cheers mate, will do. Yeah mix it up as you say is my plan. I will stick to this couch25k and then reassess where I am at
Being able to put your trainers on and go out for an hour to excercise is more convenient than having to make time for 10 miles everyday. Good to mix it up imo.

Sorry this is probs SEB, anyone had any success with this?

I can hike for endless miles, but any sort of run I just borderline collapse.

Kind of need some structure when starting something so was gonna download this. I know some people will just say go for a jog n do slightly longer each day!
I done it just before lockdown. Weight ballooned to just shy of 17 stones (I'm mid 50's by the way) so started running. A mile was hard work to start with but through eating better and regular running, managed to do it.

What I done was find a run for me that was 5k around mine on by measuring on google maps, and aim to complete it whether I walked or ran the distance. Eventually, the walking stints stopped and I was able to run the whole 5k.

Good luck with it.

Being able to put your trainers on and go out for an hour to excercise is more convenient than having to make time for 10 miles everyday. Good to mix it up imo.

that is it mate, I am trying my best to get some work freelance work so that would eat up into my time, which I want obviously.

Lets see how it goes.
I done it just before lockdown. Weight ballooned to just shy of 17 stones (I'm mid 50's by the way) so started running. A mile was hard work to start with but through eating better and regular running, managed to do it.

What I done was find a run for me that was 5k around mine on by measuring on google maps, and aim to complete it whether I walked or ran the distance. Eventually, the walking stints stopped and I was able to run the whole 5k.

Good luck with it.

class mate, good work that, yep will keep that in mind thanks

Kind of need some structure when starting something so was gonna download this. I know some people will just say go for a jog n do slightly longer each day!

How did you get on with lifting weights?

this is what I am after, and the mind.

Think I am gonna stick to the app, but its tempting to speed through the process, or at least attempt to

Serious answer - don’t bother with any apps other than something like Strava to track your runs and relative effort.

Just go running. Do it again faster or longer, aim for a 5% weekly increase in distance.
never started :lol:

Its on the list, I've been moving around constantly, so the weights that I bought are sat in my flat currently, which I've not been in for 6 months!

Hiking....running.....weights

my 3 step plan.

My gut instinct is you need to get into a consistent habit.

Sounds like you’re obsessing over having the right circumstances to do something, or the right routine/program when actually you just need to do it, get used to doing it, and let the structure come later.

I’ve been guilty of it myself over the last six months. It’s a nightmare and at some point you just need to bite the bullet and start doing the work even if it’s not perfect.

Last edited:
Serious answer - don’t bother with any apps other than something like Strava to track your runs and relative effort.

Just go running. Do it again faster or longer, aim for a 5% weekly increase in distance.

My gut instinct is you need to get into a consistent habit.

Sounds like you’re obsessing over having the right circumstances to do something, or the right routine/program when actually you just need to do it, get used to doing it, and let the structure come later.

I’ve been guilty of it myself over the last six months. It’s a nightmare and at some point you just need to bite the bullet and start doing the work even if it’s not perfect.

I know what you mean, but my mind works by like structure, it helps anyway, so if I do the app, I know i have to do it on the day I am supposed to, and can't miss it

its why I like multi day hikes, you have to reach the next destination as your hotel is booked there

if that makes sense.

I have done exactly what you say with walking, and now work 10 miles a day, i enjoy it, just looking for next challenge

I'll try a week of this, and if I feel its a bit too easy maybe I can step it up

I started running in attempt to get fitter just before lockdown but could never really get into it consistently as it didn’t seem enjoyable in the slightest. Would do the odd run here and then and make an excuse not to bother.
Tried again just setting the aim of going straight for the 5k rather than building up to it and it was horrific and slow as fuck. Once i’d pushed to do it once it got easier and then eventually started increasing the distances I was running. Ran around 600k since the end of January. Setting myself challenges rather than just aiming for better fitness seems to have worked for me.
The first 5k I did took about 36 minutes. So i started aiming for 35 then under 30. Currently doing it under 25.

spot on mate

Gonna start in about 30 mins, done a 10 mile walk so big tired but will see

I just cant imagine how i will ever be able to run 30 mins non stop!

I work a lot of nights so think that doesnt help body clock etc
I never thought I could do it, found it hard (being a fat feck) at first but after the nine weeks that the program I was on, I found it no problem. Now running 10k every other day. 30 mins of your life every other day, you can do that surely! Good luck with it, plenty of support with it on here.

I never thought I could do it, found it hard (being a fat feck) at first but after the nine weeks that the program I was on, I found it no problem. Now running 10k every other day. 30 mins of your life every other day, you can do that surely! Good luck with it, plenty of support with it on here.

That reads like you do 10k in 30 mins :lol:

I mean fair play if you’re actually an elite runner but seems unlikely on the SMB.

I need just a regime like, I already walk 10 mile a day, just gonna stick with this

Just did first one, was pouring down where I am, but enjoyed it, wasn't as bad as I remember.

As I say I started hiking and walking start of year, and I think hopefully it has had some impact

Just gonna stick to this, if I could actually run 30 mins without dying I reckon that would be a big life improvement for me. I've just never considered it a possibility you know.

class that mate

I mean absolutely no upper body muscle, like none, I am skinny though, and must have got some decent leg muscle building up as been on week long hikes etc
How do you find the time to walk 10 miles a day? Is it broken up at all? Not having a go just genuinely interested! I love walking but on a weekday would struggle to do more than 4-5 miles.

It works really well.
Our running club do one each year and some have progressed upto Half Marathons within 12 months

How do you find the time to walk 10 miles a day? Is it broken up at all? Not having a go just genuinely interested! I love walking but on a weekday would struggle to do more than 4-5 miles.

I work from home mate, very flexible. And not having a massive social life helps!

not broken up as in it’s all on one continuous trip, but might stop for drink or lunch etc

it is time consuming I agree

ill just add that as the nights get darker this will be harder to do

Last edited:
Did the couch to 5k thing a few years ago then let it lapse. Started again during the last lockdown and now do a regular Parkrun. Always aim for 30-35 minutes, not great but good enough for me.

Did the couch to 5k thing a few years ago then let it lapse. Started again during the last lockdown and now do a regular Parkrun. Always aim for 30-35 minutes, not great but good enough for me.
Running 5k and being slightly out of breath is more than most people can do. I used to always want to beat my pb when I first did the parkrun. Now I just turn up and run and the time is irrelevant.

Saying that I'm 2 minutes down on my best so might start some speed work :lol: :lol:

Back