Couch to 5k

The Rat

Striker
Sorry this is probs SEB, anyone had any success with this?

I can hike for endless miles, but any sort of run I just borderline collapse.

Kind of need some structure when starting something so was gonna download this. I know some people will just say go for a jog n do slightly longer each day!

Kind of need some structure when starting something so was gonna download this. I know some people will just say go for a jog n do slightly longer each day!

yes it was easy doing it this way. I ended up doing it even quicker as it wasn’t hard enough. Give it a try. As long as you do it when your supposed to you can’t fail !

Tagged you in the Couch to 5k thread and the Running Thread thread in the fitness forum.

spot on mate
yes it was easy doing it this way. I ended up doing it even quicker as it wasn’t hard enough. Give it a try. As long as you do it when your supposed to you can’t fail !

Gonna start in about 30 mins, done a 10 mile walk so big tired but will see

I just cant imagine how i will ever be able to run 30 mins non stop!

I work a lot of nights so think that doesnt help body clock etc

Knowing how difficult I can find running 5km if I’ve given it a break for a few weeks for an injury , I can’t imagine how difficult it is for beginners, well done for giving it a go.

I know it sounds daft but YouTube how to run. Then just go running.

Knowing how difficult I can find running 5km if I’ve given it a break for a few weeks for an injury , I can’t imagine how difficult it is for beginners, well done for giving it a go.
I usually run 3 or 4 times a week, about 5-6 miles per run. I've been absolutely knocked out with a horrendous viral infection for about 2 weeks now, and realistically Wednesday is going to be the earliest I can think about running again. By the that point, it'll have been about 17 days since I've done pretty much any exercise at all - god knows what I'll be like in terms of performance! Weak as a kitten, I'd guess!

I normally Hill run 3 miles about 3 to 4 days a week.. Being doing the same route for about 14 years now.. When I first started I struggled like crazy. I just changed to interval hits. So sprint, walk, sprint and so on just to get fitness up. Then gradually changed to constant running. Another tip I got was. You keep to a pace where you could hold a conversation with another runner but only just.
I tend to do 8 to 9 mins miles now.. I was doing 7-8 min miles before covid.

Depends how big you are also, not really talking about fat but muscle. More muscle more oxygen. If this was the case for me I probably do 45 min jogs to lose some muscle. rather then the mid 25 mins I do now.

I know it sounds daft but YouTube how to run. Then just go running.

I need just a regime like, I already walk 10 mile a day, just gonna stick with this
You will be surprised at how quickly you can build up to a good distance. The app is great, stick with it and you'll be golden. It doesn't rush you.

Just did first one, was pouring down where I am, but enjoyed it, wasn't as bad as I remember.

As I say I started hiking and walking start of year, and I think hopefully it has had some impact

Just gonna stick to this, if I could actually run 30 mins without dying I reckon that would be a big life improvement for me. I've just never considered it a possibility you know.
Yes, did it through a local running club about 6 years ago. Couldn't run a lap of the track when I started

Ended up joining them at end of course. Did london marathon 2 weeks ago and ran north tyneside 10k today in 46.40.

Go for it

class that mate
I normally Hill run 3 miles about 3 to 4 days a week.. Being doing the same route for about 14 years now.. When I first started I struggled like crazy. I just changed to interval hits. So sprint, walk, sprint and so on just to get fitness up. Then gradually changed to constant running. Another tip I got was. You keep to a pace where you could hold a conversation with another runner but only just.
I tend to do 8 to 9 mins miles now.. I was doing 7-8 min miles before covid.

Depends how big you are also, not really talking about fat but muscle. More muscle more oxygen. If this was the case for me I probably do 45 min jogs to lose some muscle. rather then the mid 25 mins I do now.

I mean absolutely no upper body muscle, like none, I am skinny though, and must have got some decent leg muscle building up as been on week long hikes etc

Last edited:
I need just a regime like, I already walk 10 mile a day, just gonna stick with this

Just did first one, was pouring down where I am, but enjoyed it, wasn't as bad as I remember.

As I say I started hiking and walking start of year, and I think hopefully it has had some impact

Just gonna stick to this, if I could actually run 30 mins without dying I reckon that would be a big life improvement for me. I've just never considered it a possibility you know.

class that mate

I mean absolutely no upper body muscle, like none, I am skinny though, and must have got some decent leg muscle building up as been on week long hikes etc
Is the 10 mile a day to work and back or just to walk?

No just walking mate, I work from home, so whenever I can. I make sure to do it fairly quickly too.

Its had a massive positive impact on my life tbh. Hence why I thought about the next step, running.
Keep doing the walking as its great excercise but mixing it up with running will be good. My advice when running especially as a newbie is listen to your body. If you're aching or in pain don't over do it or you will get injured. Will take a while for your body to adapt but if you stick at it you will improve very quickly.

class that mate

If you are happy with walking and doing the distances you are saying, you are probably having more health benefits then a 5k run. They both give you cardio but walking has a lot less impact on muscle and bones.

If you are happy with walking and doing the distances you are saying, you are probably having more health benefits then a 5k run. They both give you cardio but walking has a lot less impact on muscle and bones.

Yeah no doubt you are right, I would just like a new challenge almost, something that I do find tougher and can overcome.

Also sometimes on a practical level, it takes a decent amount of time to walk 10 miles, so maybe mixing it up with a run would be nice.
Keep doing the walking as its great excercise but mixing it up with running will be good. My advice when running especially as a newbie is listen to your body. If you're aching or in pain don't over do it or you will get injured. Will take a while for your body to adapt but if you stick at it you will improve very quickly.

Cheers mate, will do. Yeah mix it up as you say is my plan. I will stick to this couch25k and then reassess where I am at

Last edited:

Back