Couch to 5k

Same here. Always loved running but stopped after injuries and thought at my age running was over.

I have a schedule and keep to it. Has me running on Christmas day, mind. But that will help with the beer later on.
I'm a Monday Wednesday Friday night (10k) and a Saturday morning (5k) man myself

I'm a Monday Wednesday Friday night (10k) and a Saturday morning (5k) man myself

My getting to half marathon routine is

Rest
Rest
Rest
long run building up to 13 miles
Rest
Rest
Rest

And so on. First long run which will be 11k falls on Christmas day. Bairns get me up at 5 so should be out running by 7.

I really need to start this again. Also have about 3 stone to lose too.

Problem is I dont want to be out "running" in the streets at my size so its no win.

I used to run so much when I was a lot younger. Probably over the last 10 years or so more injuries and weight gain have seriously put me off doing anything.

I really need to start this again. Also have about 3 stone to lose too.

Problem is I dont want to be out "running" in the streets at my size so its no win.

I used to run so much when I was a lot younger. Probably over the last 10 years or so more injuries and weight gain have seriously put me off doing anything.
Get along to your local park run to start off with

Course your not, no one ever comes last at park run, you an run, walk, skip or crawl around the route if you wanted too. With the added bonus of support from the Marshalls and other people taking part
My hubby and I are both members of parkin (if thats the right term) I know he is looking to get to one with his brother in law theyre both way ahead of me. Hubby has just done the London marathon whereas I can just about run a bath.
Think I will keep an eye on the local Times and see if I can build up the bottle to join in one Saturday morning

My hubby and I are both members of parkin (if thats the right term) I know he is looking to get to one with his brother in law theyre both way ahead of me. Hubby has just done the London marathon whereas I can just about run a bath.
Think I will keep an eye on the local Times and see if I can build up the bottle to join in one Saturday

Think I will keep an eye on the local Times and see if I can build up the bottle to join in one Saturday morning
Don't look at the times man, just turn up on Saturday and get yourself round the course, will your husband not go around with you to give you some encouragement?
No shame in walking some or all of it, no one's going to be judging you, that's what makes park run great, it's open to everyone

The best thing about the Park Run is that it is for people of all abilities. I love going because there is never any judgement.

People all have their own goals and it is great to see people there trying to reach them whether it is to lose weight, to battle anxieties or to achieve a personal best.

The biggest mistake people make in exercise when they’re starting out is thinking people will judge them because that just isn’t what the Park Run is about. ‘The more the merrier’ definitely sums up the Park Run as it creates the atmosphere.

Don't look at the times man, just turn up on Saturday and get yourself round the course, will your husband not go around with you to give you some encouragement?
No shame in walking some or all of it, no one's going to be judging you, that's what makes park run great, it's open to everyone
He probably would but I always say its his run too and wouldn't want to hold him back.
I'll certainly give it a go.

Thanks for the comments to you and @StrangerThings

I'm way too slow to even take part in anything like that at the minute. My absolute fear is being the last one home.

Just to add to this and I can absolutely relate

I signed up to parkrun 8 years ago, and never went along for 4 years thinking the same as you.. I was as unfit as I was so there became nothing to lose by going along.. but even when I got there I got there early, to try and find like minded people.. people who were clearly out of place.. I went thinking there were going to be all these athletes.. and it was just normal folk… there was a newbies and visitors chat, and I wasn’t made ti feel out of place… we were told to just take our times. To not worry about where we finished, as the tail would always be last.. and most importantly, to just enjoy it… run, walk, or crawl was the only requirement… and to just enjoy…

I finished it in 52minutes… could barely run 500 yards… and wasn’t last… even at the end people still milled around for the final finishers.. then I went for a coffee at the local park cafe.. the people there were canny, veteran runners, amateurs, newbies… and me.. abd I didn’t feel out of place… they all told me to just make parkrun my own.. friends and family make theirs their own and that everyone completes the same distance..

Go along, have faith… and just enjoy it.. once I got that monkey off my back I went multiple times afterwards and did a few other park runs… the word run puts people off.. but it’s your own Saturday morning adventure

Just to add to this and I can absolutely relate

I signed up to parkrun 8 years ago, and never went along for 4 years thinking the same as you.. I was as unfit as I was so there became nothing to lose by going along.. but even when I got there I got there early, to try and find like minded people.. people who were clearly out of place.. I went thinking there were going to be all these athletes.. and it was just normal folk… there was a newbies and visitors chat, and I wasn’t made ti feel out of place… we were told to just take our times. To not worry about where we finished, as the tail would always be last.. and most importantly, to just enjoy it… run, walk, or crawl was the only requirement… and to just enjoy…

I finished it in 52minutes… could barely run 500 yards… and wasn’t last… even at the end people still milled around for the final finishers.. then I went for a coffee at the local park cafe.. the people there were canny, veteran runners, amateurs, newbies… and me.. abd I didn’t feel out of place… they all told me to just make parkrun my own.. friends and family make theirs their own and that everyone completes the same distance..

Go along, have faith… and just enjoy it.. once I got that monkey off my back I went multiple times afterwards and did a few other park runs… the word run puts people off.. but it’s your own Saturday morning adventure
Thank you for that. Really reassuring.

Thank you for that. Really reassuring.
If you go along and even if you were last then so what, you are still way ahead of the millions of people who are sat on their couch or in bed still and are there challenging yourself, you aint racing anyone there it s all about you. Loads of people there will have started their journey at the same point as you so relate (I've lost 4 stone over the course of my years of running and started off doing 14 minute miles). And as soon as you run your first steps you are a runner even if you walk the rest of it.

I'm way too slow to even take part in anything like that at the minute. My absolute fear is being the last one home.
Many people walk the parkrun so it’s likely you won’t be last. But you’re still lapping everyone on the settee pet.

Fwiw, I’ve done a parkrun while doing one of my C25K episodes before. Headphones in, run a bit, walk a bit, etc. when it finishes, I then either walk the rest or just free form jog a bit, walk a bit until the end. Get your base time from that, and then next week when you do it, you’ll run a bit more than last week and you’ll be a bit faster. No one will Laugh and everyone will cheer you on.

Let us know how you get on.

@MackemLass did you get along to a park run this morning?
I didnt, not today. I had messages to do which were arranged before this thread was picked up.
I'm working next weekend and then away for a couple of weekends. Thinking I'm going to (and I know its a while away) perhaps start in January. I know running clubs start their couch to 5ks at the turn of the year (I started with Sunderland Strollers just as lockdown was coming in) so I think if I can grt my head I to the game and start to focus I might actually get somewhere.

Back