Cost of food items rocketing

How so? I appreciate what you’re saying but where did it go that has caused inflation? Isn’t the lions share of inflation caused by supply chain and energy issues, with a further compounding from the war in Ukraine?

Again I appreciate what you’re saying but I’m yet to see a cogent argument that shows state spending has caused inflation.

I think the public has this naive view that the govt spend money and prices go up, without thinking about the inbetween
If the government had not spent as much they would have been in a better position to help the public utilities with the energy cap and perhaps reduce excise duty on fuel instead of an insignificant five pence. That would have reduced inflationary pressures. Ukraine has undoubtedly pushed up some prices. I think the constant lockdowns and Brexit have contributed to a supply chain shortage. With the lockdowns the construction industry was having to pay over the odds for materials and then afterwards the hospitality trade had to pay more to get back employees. Also some retail outlets gave used the cost of living crisis as an excuse to push up prices even more.

Are you saying people on low incomes don't buy stuff they don't need?
If somebody is getting £1300 a month and pays £500 rent, £200 energy, £100 council tax, £30 water, there's not much left to be frivolous with.
1. A decent one, I would hope. Regardless, I'm not advocating a policy. All I'm doing is trying to explain the economic dependencies.

2. Yeah, it was but I'm not sure of the relevance now.
1. Decent ones aren't patriotic our great leader has said so.

2. Those that made a big thing of it in 2010 now don't care even though it's shit through the roof. It's strange.

Last edited:
If somebody is getting £1300 a month and pays £500 rent, £200 energy, £100 council tax, £30 water, there's not much left to be frivolous with.
You could say the same about someone that gets £2000 a month but pay way more in all those aspects but they will be.

It's a pain in the arse for people already on Norpack instead of Lurpack.

IIRC some Minister was saying drop to the supermarket own brands. Many have had to for years FFS.

Bloke on £2000 a month can get a cheaper house to rent though.
£1300 bloke can't.

True, but the figures you've usedfor utilities & council tax are for more than 1 person, so they'll either be a 2nd income or will be more like £75 ctax, £125 energy & £20 water

If the government had not spent as much they would have been in a better position to help the public utilities with the energy cap and perhaps reduce excise duty on fuel instead of an insignificant five pence. That would have reduced inflationary pressures. Ukraine has undoubtedly pushed up some prices. I think the constant lockdowns and Brexit have contributed to a supply chain shortage. With the lockdowns the construction industry was having to pay over the odds for materials and then afterwards the hospitality trade had to pay more to get back employees. Also some retail outlets gave used the cost of living crisis as an excuse to push up prices even more.

I think COVID has shown they can spend whatever they want whenever they want really. Even if not, that COVID money still had to be spent on furlough and testing did it not?

You raise an entirely fair point but that money was an absolute necessity in the main, minus the accusations of money spent corruptly of course.

T
True, but the figures you've usedfor utilities & council tax are for more than 1 person, so they'll either be a 2nd income or will be more like £75 ctax, £125 energy & £20 water
Council tax in DCC is £140 minus 25% is still £105.

Last edited:
I've noticed a 20% or so increase on average over the typical food items I eat every week. It's absolutely insane... Luckily I'm only buying for myself but if I was buying for a family of 4 on just my income I would definitely struggle more than I am atm.

I only shop at ASDA as well which is generally known as the cheapest main supermarket. How do ALDI and LIDL fare in terms of cost comparisons with asda? Live within 5 minutes walking distance of both so u may start going there instead if there's money to be saved.
About 20% less, probably more

I’m a long way from my Business degree that I played golf throughout but I thought that any business would not have their main supplier accounting for maximum 50% of their turnover? I can’t get my head around one country falling over and the who world is cream crackered.

Same for oil, petrol going through the roof and the only person feeling the pinch is the punter filling his car to drive to the supermarket to get his overpriced pasta while the money they have got to pay for it has not risen one iota.

It’s a disgrace.
Food shortage wise, Russia and Ukraine between them supply a vast percentage of the world's wheat, sunflower oil, corn for export and barley. Imagine all the processed food we have with these things in.

Add to that the huge amount of steel and oil exported from the two of them, then it's no surprise prices are rocketing.

Back