Cost of fitting new double electric socket

So you'd quoted the job and even if it took to a week instead of 2 hours it will be the same price? Aye reetio :lol:

I'm pretty sure most traders will have an idea of how hard/long the job could be, possibly warn of any additional costs and give a rough idea of a price rather just say £350-£500 regardless of how long it takes. Plus surely most customers would like a rough idea of timescale for the work to be done anyway regardless of trying to suss out hourly labour costs for various reasons? If the price went up due to concerns and delays then I'm sure most customers would have no problem paying extra as long as the trader wasn't taking the piss. Like I said making £200 profit on a 2 hour job is a bit extreme but that's the way you'd work and it's clear you get paid well for whatever you do.

In your remapping example, if it was £72K a week then that's working solid for over 51 hours. However working just 1 hour a week doing 4 remaps gives £1400. That's £72,800 a year for 52 hours work so a canny business if you can get it ;) Even so, someone doing a remap in 15 mins isn't someone I'd be paying anyway as it's probably a cowboy hoying in a generic file :lol:

Anyway, I get what you're saying but it seems you're in a higher class of costing than some other traders but good for you :cool: I wish I could have prorated the item I was building and selling since 2011 into a continous 40 hour week. I'd be on over £200 a hour profit though being self employed means working a lot less to get a wage to be happy with and long may it continue.

So basically rip the customer off? The truth is coming out now :lol:

Beat me to it..right there you’re admitting there’s people who’ll drag a job out to get what they want..that’s why you negotiate a price and a rough job time before you you start..if the jobs going to run over you’re kept up to date by the tradesman..you’ve admitted there to knowing that overcharging goes on..check mate.

Last edited:

So you'd quoted the job and even if it took to a week instead of 2 hours it will be the same price? Aye reetio :lol:

I'm pretty sure most traders will have an idea of how hard/long the job could be, possibly warn of any additional costs and give a rough idea of a price rather just say £350-£500 regardless of how long it takes. Plus surely most customers would like a rough idea of timescale for the work to be done anyway regardless of trying to suss out hourly labour costs for various reasons? If the price went up due to concerns and delays then I'm sure most customers would have no problem paying extra as long as the trader wasn't taking the piss. Like I said making £200 profit on a 2 hour job is a bit extreme but that's the way you'd work and it's clear you get paid well for whatever you do.

In your remapping example, if it was £72K a week then that's working solid for over 51 hours. However working just 1 hour a week doing 4 remaps gives £1400. That's £72,800 a year for 52 hours work so a canny business if you can get it ;) Even so, someone doing a remap in 15 mins isn't someone I'd be paying anyway as it's probably a cowboy hoying in a generic file :lol:

Anyway, I get what you're saying but it seems you're in a higher class of costing than some other traders but good for you :cool:

So basically rip the customer off? The truth is coming out now :lol:
You’re right I was being extremely extreme. In any trade there are many jobs people don’t want. Even though he seems canny most traders would want to keep away from cheesy. That’s what happens when you have been trading for a long time, it becomes instinct. For example. If I have plenty on, my prices will reflect this for a new customer. I will want top dollar, I can risk it as I have plenty on. If they decide not to go with me fair enough.
Over the years I have built up a customer base of people who own propertys and don’t ask for a price they just pay my bill, I will go above and beyond for these people and do so regularly. This means I get 3 days a week work for good money and have plenty spare time. Which is perfect for me. Unfortunately this means I can ask top dollar from recommendations. Tbh I very rarely don’t get a job simply because the people recommending me sing my praises.
Honesty
Guarantee
And reliability
No cutty corners or hidden charges. The people I work for have been in the property game for years and know the score, without sounding cheeky they know more about it than private homeowners and rely on good tradesman. The op andcheedy proves that most private punters just want the cheapest job possible and that’s fair enough.
There was a thread last week and a lot of people saying how no one would turn up to look at work or not even turn up to do the job and wondering why.
This thread should tell them why now.

Get your testing and inspection mate. They will be knocking your door in with offers. I’ve heard they going back to the old way of having testers testing work. The current situation is you just need one lad qualified at your company to get niceic approval as a company. Already happening in certain councils. £55k a year just testing. That’ll do me till I retire.

He’s took the piss there like. Hour max that should be. Honestly. 15 drain 30 job 15 fill up while you do paperwork.

Nah he never like..i was there the whole time standing over him with a stopwatch and a gun.. ;)..he had a chow on with the pipework being close to the wall..he ran out of gas anarl and had to nip out for one.

Where have I said that..magnatec unit..total price £170..unit cost £100..lad was there roughly 3 hours..£70 labour..£23 per hour...local lad fully qualified lives in Roker.

You didnt say that I was asking if you did.

Cracking price though, if I need I new boiler I'll be getting his number off you

You’re right I was being extremely extreme. In any trade there are many jobs people don’t want. Even though he seems canny most traders would want to keep away from cheesy. That’s what happens when you have been trading for a long time, it becomes instinct. For example. If I have plenty on, my prices will reflect this for a new customer. I will want top dollar, I can risk it as I have plenty on. If they decide not to go with me fair enough.
Over the years I have built up a customer base of people who own propertys and don’t ask for a price they just pay my bill, I will go above and beyond for these people and do so regularly. This means I get 3 days a week work for good money and have plenty spare time. Which is perfect for me. Unfortunately this means I can ask top dollar from recommendations. Tbh I very rarely don’t get a job simply because the people recommending me sing my praises.
Honesty
Guarantee
And reliability
No cutty corners or hidden charges. The people I work for have been in the property game for years and know the score, without sounding cheeky they know more about it than private homeowners and rely on good tradesman. The op andcheedy proves that most private punters just want the cheapest job possible and that’s fair enough.
There was a thread last week and a lot of people saying how no one would turn up to look at work or not even turn up to do the job and wondering why.
This thread should tell them why now.

Nah mate Cheesy will be keeping away from people who try it on with their high hourly rates..in the last two year I've fucked off Kitchen Companys..Bathroom Companys..Leccys..allsorts..there's a fine line between a fair hourly rate and taking the piss..I've learnt the hard way but I know now who's asking too much in labour costs..as for the last bit well that's just common sense..I've got two quotes from two qualified Leccys one £500 the other £1000..not rocket science who i'm going to go with.
You didnt say that I was asking if you did.

Cracking price though, if I need I new boiler I'll be getting his number off you

I'll happily PM you the number of the lad who fitted my boiler..He ordered it..fitted it..sorted the warranty..moved the condensate pipe outside..all new pipework under the sink..connectors for the washing machine..outside tap..some other bits and bobs to do with the gas..£1100...he's fully qualified anarl.

Last edited:
To be fair I think myself and @theboot had our wires crossed (no pun intended) I’m thinking he’s coming out to a job for £50-£60 per hour then that would be his rate if the job went on for say 4 hours..no one’s regular rate is that much an hour..i now realise he meant his initial call out is that which I explained to him last night..I’ll stand by what I said about hourly rates though..I’m a time served fabricator and earn £17 per hour (roughly) someone’s coming to my house and I’ve worked out they’re charging £50+ per hour..not happening like.
You looking at it totally wrong .

Honesty
Guarantee
And reliability
Sounds class as spare time is a great luxury if you're working 3 day weeks and no doubt it's been hard work to get there :cool:

Nah mate Cheesy will be keeping away from people who try it on with their high hourly rates..in the last two year I've fucked off Kitchen Companys..Bathroom Companys..Leccys..allsorts..there's a fine line between a fair hourly rate and taking the piss..I've learnt the hard way but I know now who's asking too much in labour costs..as for the last bit well that's just common sense..I've got two quotes from two qualified Leccys one £500 the other £1000..not rocket science who i'm going to go with.
So after PM'ing them both as asked, you're not going with @the boot £1,000 who'll do it in 2 hours max as @maygo at £500 would take two 8 hour days so he's cheaper hourly labour even though he's dragging it out? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You looking at it totally wrong .

I know what the lads are getting at..it’s the price of the job..now the way one of them has put it is he can go in a house and do a six hour job in two hours..that’s fine..I do that at work..lash a 90 minute job off in 40 minutes then go to the bog..however when I phone someone and they say they want £200 labour to do 3 hours work in my house I’m saying no..if they were to say look it’s a 6 hour job but I can do it in 3..all safe and tested..I wouldn’t have a problem with that..like one of them said work smart..then you get one of them saying there’s blokes who’ll drag a job out to get what they want..now that’s taking the piss..this is why I have a price and a rough time agreed before I give someone the job.
Sounds class as spare time is a great luxury if you're working 3 day weeks and no doubt it's been hard work to get there :cool:

So after PM'ing them both as asked, you're not going with @the boot £1,000 who'll do it in 2 hours max as @maygo at £500 would take two 8 hour days so he's cheaper hourly labour even though he's dragging it out? ;)

Not at all because I’d have rough time for the job agreed beforehand.
with your tight arse attitude I’d be amazed if you get anyone off here to do it for you.

I don’t want anyone off here to do anything for me with these prices..you fill your boots though.

Last edited:
I know what the lads are getting at..it’s the price of the job..now the way one of them has put it is he can go in a house and do a six hour job in two hours..that’s fine..I do that at work..lash a 90 minute job off in 40 minutes then go to the bog..however when I phone someone and they say they want £200 labour to do 3 hours work in my house I’m saying no..if they were to say look it’s a 6 hour job but I can do it in 3..all safe and tested..I wouldn’t have a problem with that..like one of them said work smart..then you get one of them saying there’s blokes who’ll drag a job out to get what they want..now that’s taking the piss..this is why I have a price and a rough time agreed before I give someone the job.

I don’t want anyone off here to do anything for me with these prices..you fill your boots though.

I’d put a socket in myself , it’s not exactly rocket science is it ?

I personally don’t take bits and pieces work on as I’m not geared up for it.

Got to page 2 and couldn't read anymore of cheese feets nonsense.

You just keep paying high labour charges..do your homework and you’ll find tradesmen who offer a quality service for a fair price.
A very polite way of saying you’ve dealt with nuggets like @Cheesy Feet before and learnt your lesson the hard way.

A nugget who’s saved a fortune over the years by knocking back tradesmen who’s hourly rates take the piss.

Last edited:

Back