Coronavirus compendium thread

The more I hear about testing - the more I realise that this isn't something you can simply switch on. ...

It needed kit , planning, staff , materials on hand and ready to go.
We failed in that endeavour and I find that quite depressing

From what I hear we have the kit and the capacity but there is obviously more to testing than sticking 100s of test samples into a machines and waiting for the results.

In fact it's probably the easiest part.

Last edited:
Any ideas of the significance of this type of ventilator (which I think it is)

Large Hospital in Thames Valley in urgent need of a large VACUUM INSULATED EVAPORATOR for Liquid Oxygen.
Please help get the widest social media coverage & anyone who can help contact me via DM.
We will pick up from any location.
#NHSheroes @CharlotteHawkns
@louiseminchin

Any ideas of the significance of this type of ventilator (which I think it is)

Large Hospital in Thames Valley in urgent need of a large VACUUM INSULATED EVAPORATOR for Liquid Oxygen.
Please help get the widest social media coverage & anyone who can help contact me via DM.
We will pick up from any location.
#NHSheroes @CharlotteHawkns
@louiseminchin
It's the storage unit for oxygen i think

One thing I can't get my head around is how are we meant to completely get rid of it without vaccines, surely if even a few people still have it and the lockdown ends bars open sports are back it'll just spread again? Or will enough people be immune by then that it wont spread that wild?

One thing I can't get my head around is how are we meant to completely get rid of it without vaccines, surely if even a few people still have it and the lockdown ends bars open sports are back it'll just spread again? Or will enough people be immune by then that it wont spread that wild?
Eventually

Turning lockdown off/on depending on how the hospitals are coping until enough people are immune imo

See Lee Fierro has died of Covid 19
She is the lady in Jaws who loses her son and slaps the Chief of Police for keeping open the beaches.
Talk about irony, life imitating art.

That seems to be the approach Sweden are going for

Check the herd immunity thread...

Most likely it will be a mixed bag of goodies to keep it reasonably in check whilst Still allowing the economy to splutter back to life to enough of a degree that we don't bankrupt ourselves..

So test, test test and keep damping diwn the fire. Trace & test the contacts

Get most folks who can back to work again.

Live for a year or 2 with rammed ICU units and a few dozen deaths per day ..

Maintain social distancing in shops , bars , restaurants .

Possibly close off some aspects of life again as we hit the deep mid winter

But life will have changed for the foreseeable future .....

No more footy for a season I reckon.
It's the storage unit for oxygen i think
Basically a glorified vacuum flask to keep stored liq O2 at low (cryogenic) temperature

Last edited:

Maybe the only way to go is to increasing hospital capacity to deal with it, a short/medium term solution without causing irreparable medium/long term damage to the economy. Channeling funds this way whilst very very expensive will be far cheaper that having to turn the economy off again. We are facing unprecedented social and economical challenges ahead whatever the exit strategy, life as we knew it has changed forever.

Back