Corfu

There is a problem with rubbish in Corfu because there is nowhere to tip it on the island and there's some sort of issue with local parliament sending it to the mainland to be incinerated .

I'm not a massive fan of sidari, but take the bus 10 mins down the road to San stefanos which is a lovely village. Last year was my 6th time there. The locals take away rubbish and dump it out of the village so there's not the problem of bigger resorts .

Sidari and Kavos are the Blackpools of Corfu. Get yourself round to Agios Stefanos. About a 10 minute drive from Sidari. It's like chalk and cheese. I think the rubbish problem is caused by a dispute with the workers and the authorities, been ongoing for a couple of years now.

Read this after posting, there really is no comparison between the 2. I was gutted my teenage son was so bored last year as it was too quiet so we won't be going back for a while :cry:

We use DEET spray when we are in Corfu and normally the mozzies don't bother us. Last time I was in Corfu think I only had about 3 bites the whole holiday. You can buy role on mozzie sticks to apply direct if you do get bitten. I find these very good, definitely stops the itchiness.

Sounds like I dodged a bullet there. Very nearly booked up Sidari this year.

There is a problem with rubbish in Corfu because there is nowhere to tip it on the island and there's some sort of issue with local parliament sending it to the mainland to be incinerated .

I'm not a massive fan of sidari, but take the bus 10 mins down the road to San stefanos which is a lovely village. Last year was my 6th time there. The locals take away rubbish and dump it out of the village so there's not the problem of bigger resorts .
Where do you stay ??

Where do you stay ??
Last year in Vicky's but every other time in Barras. First stayed there before the pool was built I was about 14?! My mam and dad go every year , usually stop in Thomas Bay but are going to Barras in September. How about you?

Last year in Vicky's but every other time in Barras. First stayed there before the pool was built I was about 14?! My mam and dad go every year , usually stop in Thomas Bay but are going to Barras in September. How about you?
Been going for over 30 years. Lived there for awhile. We always stay with Nondas up the hill behind the Little Prince Hotel. I remember the Thomas Bay getting built LOL....
Haven't been this year, been helping our son out financially, but stay in regular contact with friends out there.

Been going for over 30 years. Lived there for awhile. We always stay with Nondas up the hill behind the Little Prince Hotel. I remember the Thomas Bay getting built LOL....
Haven't been this year, been helping our son out financially, but stay in regular contact with friends out there.
We’re off to san stefanos in a couple of weeks. Visited a few times but never stayed there, love the beach and general relaxed vibe tho.
Stayed in Arillas a few years back and loved it, also Paleokastritsa before that, will revisit this time round to see if they’ve changed.

I am in Sidari in Corfu at the minute and I have to say its a f***ing minging place like.

Dirt tracks for roads, rubbish piling up in the streets, stray dogs and cats all ower, evidence of a serious fly tipping problem when travelling throughout the island.

Drains are f***ing stinking too and the amount of abandoned cars lying about is unreal.

Are all greek islands like this?

PS Forgot to mention mosquitos, the bastards

Worked there for 3 years in me repping days. Last year the government closed down the only waste disposal plant on the island so it is a knacker to get rid of rubbish. Greece is skint enough as it is.

They have tried to open a new one in a town called Lefkimmi but residents who live down there a protesting for obvious reasons. Would you want to live next to a waste dump?

Corfu is a class island. Hire a car and get ya self about and you will see.

Past week been in Symi and Rhodes old Town, both class . Recent years been Parga Town, Thira in Santorini, Skiathos Town , can recommend them all . My mate , well known lad from Sunderland opened a bar in sidAri (winstones ?) , and lived over there for 10 year , even joined the Corfu masons , mind it must be a bit tacky as he did an Elvia Tribute act there most nights !

Off to Corfu soon for a few days. I'm hoping the mosquitoes aren't too bad because they love me. Have bought some holiday trousers specially even though I prefer dresses.

We tried mosquito milk roll on this year , not the cheapest but it’s very good . OH picked up a couple of bites as he hadn’t put it on properly and all I got was a couple of tiny bites on my hands . It’s really easy to put on with it being a roll on too .

I am in Sidari in Corfu at the minute and I have to say its a f***ing minging place like.

Dirt tracks for roads, rubbish piling up in the streets, stray dogs and cats all ower, evidence of a serious fly tipping problem when travelling throughout the island.

Drains are f***ing stinking too and the amount of abandoned cars lying about is unreal.

Are all greek islands like this?

PS Forgot to mention mosquitos, the bastards
Went a few years ago to the waterpark hotel was a right dump dead cats,birds the lot on road side near hotel. Never again
Crete is the daddy, Malia or Koutouloufari, thank me later!
In crete now lovely place

Past week been in Symi and Rhodes old Town, both class . Recent years been Parga Town, Thira in Santorini, Skiathos Town , can recommend them all . My mate , well known lad from Sunderland opened a bar in sidAri (winstones ?) , and lived over there for 10 year , even joined the Corfu masons , mind it must be a bit tacky as he did an Elvia Tribute act there most nights !

Glad you enjoyed Rhodes Town, it really is beautiful isn’t it .

Went a few years ago to the waterpark hotel was a right dump dead cats,birds the lot on road side near hotel. Never again

In crete now lovely place
Came back in June, class all day everyday, boss wants to gan back next month when kids are back at school, she has some canny ideas sometimes! Crete that is!

The rubbish dispute in Corfu has been going on for years. They even tried at one stage to ship it across to the main land.

Back